Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:46 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
As with many topics on this board an ucommon personal experience is used to prove a point which is not very useful. Barely anyone goes from a CC to an Ivy.
You got that right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:23 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,396 times
Quote:
A four year University has sione entrance requirement at least unlike CC. The teachers at a university are much better educated as well. At some point a good CC meets a poor University. That is somewhere with tier 3 schools though.

It can be a good financial plan for a top student but most there aren't on their way to top universities after two years.

University of California Transfer credits: "UC has transferable course agreements with ALL California community colleges. These agreements specify the courses that will receive baccalaureate degree credit from us. ALL California community colleges also have agreements with UC campuses that specify which of the transferable courses may be used to meet various general education/breadth and major preparation requirements. THESE AGREEMENTS WERE DEVELOPED TO ENSURE CONTINUITY IN STUDENTS ACADEMIC PROGRAMS."

So the finest public university system in the world (arguably) has no trouble with accepting California community college students from ANY CC, which includes places like Barstow CC, Compton CC, and the like, which are in blighted areas, but still underscores, that if a student is motivated and does their work at a California CC, they can attend a Tier One uni. Pretty much shows that your claim that a good CC meets a poor university is nonsense. Not only that, the UC's work with CCCs in order that the transfer student is capable of continuing their course begun at a CC. If anything you posted were true, then why would the UC's want to continue the academic programs begun at "inferior" schools? Maybe it's because for the most part CCC's are excellent places for higher education. Moreoever:

Transfer admission guarantee: "Seven UC campuses offer GUARANTEED admission to California college students who meet specific requirements. By participating in a Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) program, students receive early review of their academic records, early admission notification and specific guidance about major preparation and general education coursework"

Guaranteed admission, to a UC no less. Explain how the finest public university system is guaranteeing entrance from CC's no less, if those CC's had such poor teachers? Man, you have this obsession with Tier One and status and have no clue how California CC's and UC's work, and have worked for decades, in order to get motivated students to attend their campuses. Again you have no idea what you're talking about, but that isn't a surprise.....

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-24-2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 01:08 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
from my understanding the california community college system is a bit different from that of the rest of the country. anyway i always thought that cc's were for those with severe learning disorders or for those kids who had messed up somehow and/or had to go back to college later in life. obviously there are some really bad 4-years, too, though.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
from my understanding the california community college system is a bit different from that of the rest of the country. anyway i always thought that cc's were for those with severe learning disorders or for those kids who had messed up somehow and/or had to go back to college later in life. obviously there are some really bad 4-years, too, though.

That's just not even close....

Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post

University of California Transfer credits: "UC has transferable course agreements with ALL California community colleges. These agreements specify the courses that will receive baccalaureate degree credit from us. ALL California community colleges also have agreements with UC campuses that specify which of the transferable courses may be used to meet various general education/breadth and major preparation requirements. THESE AGREEMENTS WERE DEVELOPED TO ENSURE CONTINUITY IN STUDENTS ACADEMIC PROGRAMS."

So the finest public university system in the world (arguably) has no trouble with accepting California community college students from ANY CC, which includes places like Barstow CC, Compton CC, and the like, which are in blighted areas, but still underscores, that if a student is motivated and does their work at a California CC, they can attend a Tier One uni. Pretty much shows that your claim that a good CC meets a poor university is nonsense. Not only that, the UC's work with CCCs in order that the transfer student is capable of continuing their course begun at a CC. If anything you posted were true, then why would the UC's want to continue the academic programs begun at "inferior" schools? Maybe it's because for the most part CCC's are excellent places for higher education. Moreoever:

Transfer admission guarantee: "Seven UC campuses offer GUARANTEED admission to California college students who meet specific requirements. By participating in a Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) program, students receive early review of their academic records, early admission notification and specific guidance about major preparation and general education coursework"

Guaranteed admission, to a UC no less. Explain how the finest public university system is guaranteeing entrance from CC's no less, if those CC's had such poor teachers? Man, you have this obsession with Tier One and status and have no clue how California CC's and UC's work, and have worked for decades, in order to get motivated students to attend their campuses. Again you have no idea what you're talking about, but that isn't a surprise.....
Your rant makes little sense. They accept it from the few that are the top students in CC. Most aren't getting into Cal and UCLA. Most of those talented students are starting as freshman.

Using one state as an example is not very useful either. It's just slightly better than a personal example.

You can find studies that show test scores are much higher for freshman entering a four year school than a CC. There was one from Illinois posted on here not long ago. It's really something that is obvious though.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-24-2012 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's just not even close....
right everyone is very intelligent and we've all made fantastic choices in life.... gotta sugarcoat everything and tell everyone what they want to hear

Old 04-23-2012, 07:08 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,396 times
Quote:
Your rant makes little sense. They accept it from the few that are the top students in CC. Most aren't getting into Cal and UCLA. Most of those talented students are starting as freshman.

Using one state as an example is not very useful either. It's just slightly better than a personal example.

You can find studies that show test scores are much higher for freshman entering a four year school than a CC. There was one from Illinois posted on here not long ago. It's really something that is obvious though.
This isn't any state, it's California, I'll let you do some work to figure out just how many students attend their public universities, and just how popular the UC's are with foreign students and how many attend CC's prior to enrolling at UCs.

But let's get back to point. YOU claimed that the best CC's are on par with the worst universities. Your claim is based on nonsense, the best public university system is exactly on par with their states CC's, otherwise why would they state that they have agreements with all California CC's for transfer requirements. YOU made the claim regarding those institutions, not their students.

And you again failed to understand the role of CC's. Of course their students aren't going to have the same test scores as incoming freshman at university. CC's are for the entire public to use, their role isn't to be simply a college prep institution. They are created to serve the public at large, whatever their scholastic background, not just those wanting to attend four year universities. Your claim makes as much sense as saying that the number of people who get to be championship tennis players are higher for people who attend elite tennis academies rather than those who play the game at a public park. That misses the point entirely of why those public parks are created, and the fact that championship players have come out of those parks, ala Arthur Ashe or the Williams Sister, shows that those venues are good enough to create elite level players. Same analogy with CC's, they have welding classes cheek to jowl with E&M physics classes, which is their mandate, and, for decades, did a remarkable job teaching for that varied a student body.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-24-2012 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: removed off topic/rude comment

Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
I found little difference between the AVERAGE student at my CC and at the state school I taught at. CC students range from terrible to freakin genius: they are united by lack of funds. I've had some freshman students who could do well in graduate level classes.

At the state school, I mostly contended with middle class average students (the lower students went to their safety school, the smarter students went to a more prestigious school).

Quote:

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-24-2012 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: removed personal attack

Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
Many of the CCs that offer 4 year programs are offering specialized degrees that your "Fortune 500 " company probably has no interest in. Mostly healthcare fields: nursing, ultrasound tech, etc. Often, they complement the programs offered at the state schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
My point was, regardless of going to a CC or 4-year university, many companies only want the best, and that rules out most CC's, and a significant number of universities.

Also, there are many 4-year CC's that offer bachelor's degrees. Seventeen states I counted have them. Not that we would have hired anyone from them, but they do exist.

Having turned down the Ivy's, choosing MIT, Stanford and a couple others didn't exactly make me unemployable.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:33 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
You're being this elitist but you only went to UF?
I found little difference between the AVERAGE student at my CC and at the state school I taught at. CC students range from terrible to freakin genius: they are united by

lack of funds. I've had some freshman students who could do well in graduate level classes.

At the state school, I mostly contended with middle class average students (the lower students went to their safety school, the smarter students went to a more prestigious school).
I think it's a myth that the vast majority of Community College students come from low-socioeconomic backgrounds. Maybe it's based on location but the CC I went to had people from all different kinds of income backgrounds. The majority of these students were just your everyday middle class folk and drove cars ranging from 'decent' to 'luxury' that they're parents probably purchased. Many could've afforded to attend more reputable institutions but everybody has their own story;

- Some chose to be smart with their money and save for the first two years.
- Some like to live comfortably at home.
- Some preferred to save on room&board and not share a dormroom with horny liquored-up jocks and passed-out drunk chicks (Room&Board is an additional $9-16k a year in NY, on avg).
- Some go so they can continue their athletics from High School.
- Some of course as you said, didn't have the funds.
- Some of course slacked around in High School and couldn't get into a "better school".
- Some went back to school after decades of adulthood to improve their employment prospects.

When I graduated high school, I actually applied to and got accepted into many good schools but I chose Community College since I just felt it was a complete waste of money to put myself into all that debt for no reason. Think about it, somebody who spends only $3k a year for the first two years of college still gets the EXACT SAME 4-year degree as somebody who spent the $40k+ a year for all four of their 4 years. It's just completely uneconomical.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 04-23-2012 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities