Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,541,295 times

Advertisements

I've heard of colleges requiring freshmen to live on campus with exceptions for those commuting from home and those joining a fraternity or sorority. I think the reason for it is twofold. First, to give freshmen a place to meet others like them who likely are away from home for the first time and second, providing a safe, semi-supervised environment that parents will feel comfortable with their kids living there.

This also take parents off the hook when they want their kids to live on-campus and their kids want to live off-campus. Most kids have no idea how to live on their own. That is, paying bills, buying groceries, car repairs, cleaning house, etc. Dorm living allows the parents to pay one bill.

So no, I don't find it totally asinine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,712,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
I'm graduated and I asked whether or not you find the concept of mandatory dorms asinine.
It's a revenue stream for the school. You (the collective 'you' not you personally so don't take offense) can take it or leave it. If people feel that outraged by it, they can opt to go to any of hundreds of other schools that don't have that requirement rather than gripe about it years later. It's like buying a Hummer and then complaining that you get lousy gas mileage - if gas mileage is that important, buy a different vehicle.

So, no, I don't see mandatory dorms as the asinine concept being discussed in this thread.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
A lot of schools say that students who live in the dorm perform better academically.
One of the really popular colleges a lot of students in my class chose has somewhat of a housing problem (soaring enrollment) so sometimes students get out of having to stay on campus their first year.
I have a friend who drives about 60 miles round trip to go to class because she wants to live at home and continue to work.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I've heard of colleges requiring freshmen to live on campus with exceptions for those commuting from home and those joining a fraternity or sorority. I think the reason for it is twofold. First, to give freshmen a place to meet others like them who likely are away from home for the first time and second, providing a safe, semi-supervised environment that parents will feel comfortable with their kids living there.

This also take parents off the hook when they want their kids to live on-campus and their kids want to live off-campus. Most kids have no idea how to live on their own. That is, paying bills, buying groceries, car repairs, cleaning house, etc. Dorm living allows the parents to pay one bill.

And how are those things learned in dorms? They aren't. Dorms are usually not a safe type of environment that parents want their kids to be in.. they usually discourage studying, encourage partying, and if you want to learn about living on your own.. you can do that. Dorms are a way of giving overpriced housing for the school to make more money.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It's a revenue stream for the school. You (the collective 'you' not you personally so don't take offense) can take it or leave it. If people feel that outraged by it, they can opt to go to any of hundreds of other schools that don't have that requirement rather than gripe about it years later. It's like buying a Hummer and then complaining that you get lousy gas mileage - if gas mileage is that important, buy a different vehicle.

So, no, I don't see mandatory dorms as the asinine concept being discussed in this thread.
What if it is the only school in the area? What if it is the only school offering the program you need in the area? So you're telling me that you are perfectly fine with a student needing to circumvent a huge part of their educational plan just to get around living requirements that are hugely inflated? Eight thousand dollars for ONE semester. That is 1600 dollars a month. That is close to 64k for ONE apartment unit for a degree. You have 4 close friends get together and combine that they'd own a nice house by the end of their degree. There is nothing wrong requiring this for someone who wants a degree, not an apartment? Gotcha.

Last edited by Kereczr; 10-29-2008 at 02:35 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 03:05 PM

274 posts, read 606,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post

Why would parents pay the bill???

I agree that dorm-life may be a good option for some, but you can't baby 18 year olds forever! They are allowed to stay home alone so they don't need to be "supervised" by the university. Freshman year, I can see it as a good transition. But at some point they gotta grow up and learn how to pay their own bills, deal with a landlord, and do basic life activities.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
And how are those things learned in dorms? They aren't. Dorms are usually not a safe type of environment that parents want their kids to be in.. they usually discourage studying, encourage partying, and if you want to learn about living on your own.. you can do that. Dorms are a way of giving overpriced housing for the school to make more money.
What they learn is how much their parents did for them when they lived at home. It's a chance for them to learn how to take on responsibilities their parents normally handled, instead of it being dumped on them all at once. Nowadays, newer dorms offer security measures that include card entry, cameras, floor, elevator and wing security. Granted, it can be circumvented, but it offers peace of mind. Dorm living can be used as a screening tool to find prospective roommates. I've seen friends go off to college, renting an apartment off-campus who ended not speaking to each other (I also know ones who are still friends). Dorm living gives you a chance to view how your potential roommates live.

While the cost may be higher for dorm living, there are trade-offs that make the cost closer. For example, utilities are extra (heating may make apartment living more), transportation is needed at minimum for grocery shopping if not for commuting and rental insurance. Meal plans are the big rip-off, especially if the food choices are limited.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyez02403 View Post
Why would parents pay the bill???

I agree that dorm-life may be a good option for some, but you can't baby 18 year olds forever! They are allowed to stay home alone so they don't need to be "supervised" by the university. Freshman year, I can see it as a good transition. But at some point they gotta grow up and learn how to pay their own bills, deal with a landlord, and do basic life activities.

Not all parents pay the bill, but many pay at least part of it.

I agree about babying 18 y.o., but it gives parents peace of mind knowing their child will have a place to sleep, food to eat and not sitting in the dark because they didn't pay their electric bill. A good transition, that's how I look at it. Anything beyond freshman year is because of the choice of the student.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:50 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
My school required freshmen to live in the dorms. Can't say as I felt I was was being oppressed ... not even ripped off.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:49 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My school required freshmen to live in the dorms. Can't say as I felt I was was being oppressed ... not even ripped off.
huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities