Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 11:30 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,167 times

Advertisements

I am attending a PhD as well in a few months ... my assistantship includes full-tuition, insurance and a stipend of $500-$800 a month (ouch!) Depends on the school of course, that you need to make a serious consideration. There are 2 years of TA, 2 years of research work @ 20 hours a week for 9 months. Grants are available almost all year round, you should look into that as well. I plan on taking grants during summers to travel abroad for research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 05:44 PM

268 posts, read 1,050,203 times
A teaching assistantship is work. If you do it, you should get paid. Don't think of it as a hand-out or a freebie. You will check a lot of papers, sometimes you will do the lectures for the professor. If it's in the sciences, this usually means taking care of the labs and doing tutorials. It can cut into your own study time and research time. Yes, the pay is usually higher for the amount of hours you put in, but not if you also have to study, and maybe get a second job to avoid loans and to live comfortably.

Not my first choice. But, it's good for the resume especially if you plan to teach later. You can claim that you already have some teaching experience.

On the other hand, I went to a grad school that didn't have an undergraduate component. So anybody accepted to the school was an automatic research assistant. You get paid for doing research that you would normally do to get your doctorate anyway. That's a deal.

Both TA and RA positions usually carry a tuition waver. So take that into consideration, but be careful of some deals that tell you the RA is worth 30K or something "counting tuition waver" - that may amount to something more like 20K after you pay tuition, matriculation, insurance, etc.

Most good science and engineering departments will offer an RA position. If they have an undergraduate, you may have to do a TA first (depending on how many TA's they need).

Shop around. If you are in a high need field (not a lot of people apply: like the sciences or vet school), you may be able to get better deals - moneywise (scholarships may also be offered on top of the RA position). Of course, the quality of the school or department also matters . . . so deliberate carefully.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:47 AM

280 posts, read 1,135,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwynn View Post
Both TA and RA positions usually carry a tuition waver. So take that into consideration, but be careful of some deals that tell you the RA is worth 30K or something "counting tuition waver" - that may amount to something more like 20K after you pay tuition, matriculation, insurance, etc.
I also had a co-worker once tell me that her tuition waver counted as taxable income. So she was responsible for paying taxes on something like $36K even though she only brought in about $15k.
I don't know if that was a school policy (St Louis University), state tax law, or a misunderstanding on her part. That's certainly not something I've ever experienced or heard from anyone else.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
I also had a co-worker once tell me that her tuition waver counted as taxable income. So she was responsible for paying taxes on something like $36K even though she only brought in about $15k.
I don't know if that was a school policy (St Louis University), state tax law, or a misunderstanding on her part. That's certainly not something I've ever experienced or heard from anyone else.
The school should send you a W-4 with the correct information on it. It never hurst to consult a tax preparer, either. They don't all charge an arm and a leg.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:52 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,694 times
Quote:
If you are a research assistant, it is counted as taxable income. If you are a teaching assistant, it isn't. I have no idea why and I think it is a stupid rule in the tax code. The good thing is, you get pretty much all of it back off your taxes, but I end up getting hit with an extra $500 tax bill every semester as a result.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:17 PM

13 posts, read 57,374 times
Quote:

I think someone gave you some misinformation. I have been a funded doctoral student for 3 years. (University of Missouri - St. Louis). Tuition is TAX FREE. The university will send you a form for your taxes. Although it is declared - it is NOT taxable income. As a funded student, the tuition is free, while my salary as a Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant, etc IS taxable income. This information is also readily available online from the IRS in the education and scholarship section.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp2 View Post
I think someone gave you some misinformation. I have been a funded doctoral student for 3 years. (University of Missouri - St. Louis). Tuition is TAX FREE. The university will send you a form for your taxes. Although it is declared - it is NOT taxable income. As a funded student, the tuition is free, while my salary as a Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant, etc IS taxable income. This information is also readily available online from the IRS in the education and scholarship section.
As a funded master's student, it isn't for any of the research assistants in my entire program...we all have to pay taxes on it. For the teaching assistants, tuition is tax-free. Texas has no state income tax so it is a federal thing.

It also may depend on if your actual department is simply dropping the tuition costs, or actually paying it to the university. If they are just waiving it, it may be tax free. In my case (and everyone else in my department), your tuition/stipend/health insurance is paid out of the research grant that you are working on.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:40 PM

148 posts, read 629,672 times
Most Universities have Fellowships that are truly merit based award + tution waiver without any service commitment. The number of University fellows are very few.
Most people get RA/TA positions.RA/TA are departmental awards in lieu of some service. TA is tutoring, grading papers and, at times, taking classes. 20 hrs/wk. RA is assisting, usually one professor, in his/her research effort. Setting experiments, assisting with data collection, programming etc. RA is paid for 20 hrs/wk but usually works waay more than that. In summer, as the class offering is reduced, TA's usually also work in computer labs, libraries, etc. You have to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA to be a TA/RA. Usually, RA/TA comes with a full tution waiver.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:20 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,798 times
I really can't add more than what has been said - yep, these are a great opportunity!

Especially with a research assistantship, you can have opportunities to publish, and to work close with profs (which can open doors).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities