Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:40 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,516 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to start a thread about what you can do with various types of baccelor degrees. Starting with....

A chemistry degree, or a Language and linguistic degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 08:38 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
A bachelor's degree in Chemistry...definitely a chemistry teacher and possibly working for a pharmaceutical company.
I don't really keep up with Chemistry degrees but I do know it's better to major in Chemistry if you plan on going on to become a doctor.

As for linguistics...try to get a job with the government and becoming an interpreter? Teach some foreign language classes?
I am so interested in many other languages but I think I'll stick with majoring in Spanish. I'd love to learn Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, French, German...the list can go on and on.

A lot of times a simple search What can I do with a degree in [insert degree] will bring up a lot.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:01 PM

I did do that, and that is good for 'general' jobs, but on here I figure I have access to people that actually know others that would hold that degree, and the various jobs that they were able to obtain.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:19 PM

153 posts, read 689,436 times
My wife's undergrad degree was in chemistry. Certainly, many pre-meds get BAs in chemistry, but there are a lot of jobs available for those with BSs in chemistry. Pretty much every tech company employs chemists for synthesis and quality control. Examples include soft chemistry in plastics, LCDs, biochemical and medical research, and hard chemistry for materials fabrication in electronics and optics. If you have more questions about majoring in the sciences, let me know and my wife or I can give you a more detailed response.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 PM

153 posts, read 689,436 times
Quick addition from the ACS website--a brief list of job descriptions in chemistry.
Careers in Chemistry

Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
Just wanted to start a thread about what you can do with various types of baccelor degrees. Starting with....

A chemistry degree, or a Language and linguistic degree.
You can do a lot of things with a Chemistry degree. Work in forensics, medical, ect. The sky is the limit.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,429 times
What about Biology, Botany, and Geology? I like all three. LOL.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Bilogy Degree.

Biotechnology: Biologists apply scientific principles to develop and enhance products, tools, and technological advances in fields such as agriculture, food science, and medicine.
Forensic science: Forensic biologists work with police departments and other law enforcement agencies using scientific methods to discover and process evidence that can be used to solve crimes.
Politics and policy: Science advisors work with lawmakers to create new legislation on topics such as biomedical research and environmental protection. Their input is essential, ensuring that decisions are based upon solid science.
Business and industry: Biologists work with drug companies and providers of scientific products and services to research and test new products. They also work in sales, marketing, and public relations positions.
Economics: Trained professionals work with the government and other organizations to study and address the economic impacts of biological issues, such as species extinctions, forest protection, and environmental pollution.
Mathematics: Biologists in fields such as bioinformatics and computational biology apply mathematical techniques to solve biological problems, such as modeling ecosystem processes and gene sequencing.
Science writing and communication: Journalists and writers with a science background inform the general public about relevant and emerging biological issues.
Art: All the illustrations in your biology textbook, as well as in newspaper and magazine science articles, were created by talented artists with a thorough understanding of biology.
Teach: Many high schools and middle schools need a qualified bilogy teacher.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:02 PM

148 posts, read 629,626 times
Brother has a Chemistry undergrad. He went on to do PhD in Bio Chemistry, post doc and now works as in Drug Discovery section of a Pharma company.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:17 PM

93 posts, read 457,402 times
I got a BA and MA in romance languages, taught at the university while I completed my work, but never knew what I'd do after graduation. At the time, there weren't many Spanish speakers around, so when an agricultural chemical company was looking for someone to translate their correspondence, technical data, handle their product registrations overseas, etc., my name was given to them and the rest is history. I learned the agchem business quickly and ended up traveling to Central and South America and Europe on dozens of occasions to meet with companies and regulatory authorities because no one else in the company spoke Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities