Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 01:16 PM

72 posts, read 405,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
Accounting is just NOT as stressful. POINT BLANK. It's not a cake walk, either. You better know your stuff and be good at math....and an organized individual. Will you have as much flexibility..not so much..but who cares...since when is a M-F schedule that bad anyway?

I sometimes think I regret not going into accounting..and I'm considering it, still. Every accountant I know is doing MUCh better than the people I know who come from health care backgrounds...and looking at the way politics are going...and health insurance...seems like things will only get worse.
I can't speak as to the work environment of nurses, but accountants don't always have M-F hours. I have worked in public accounting and had to work M-Sat roughly half of the year, typically 65 hours a week. You are right, you won't have much flexibility in accounting as you may spend days, weeks just entering gas receipts or checks into an excel spreadsheet for somebody's business. Personally, if I could do it over I would go into healthcare, maybe going into something like a radiology tech. If you don't love number crunching for long hours, accounting definitely isn't for you. There are too many accounting graduates also with colleges continuing to pump out grads and jobs becoming fewer. That is just the way it is in almost all fields right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Honestly, I don't get the accounting v. nursing threads. These professions are completely different. Picking a major or career based solely on job security seems foolish and recipe for disaster. You could end up in a field you don't enjoy, so you won't put in the effort to succeed.

People who go into accounting like business and are fascinated by the mechanics of what makes a business tick, how it runs, and how money is used to make it all operate. Accountants are sort of like linguists, they make sense of all the chaos and information generated by a business and they interpret it in a manner that makes it understandable to management. In order to do their jobs they have to be computer saavy and understand how to use computer systems and programs to manage all that data. They also have to know complex rules (i.e. GAAP or IRS) and interpret the data to conform with those rules.

Accounting is a office job, where you spend the vast majority of your time in front of a computer on a desk or conference room. You do interact with other people, but in a professional business setting.

I have no idea about nursing, but it seems to me that it attracts people who want to help others, work with all types of people, and has a science component that appeals to many. I would think the office environment and learning arcane accounting rules would not appeal to nursing students.

I just can't see how accounting or nursing would be the second choice for either profession. Most of the people who are interested in accounting, but decide they don't like it, go into other business fields (MIS, Finance, etc.). I would think the second choice for nursing students would be physical therapy, medicine, or teaching.

Anyways, if any nursing student is thinking about accounting, you probably need to figure out if it is type of career that will appeal to you. A real quick, short way might be to just pick up a copy of the Wall Street Journal or a Forbes magazine and real every article. If it bores you to tears, maybe accounting isn't for you because those publications are more like People magazine compared to the stuff you need to read as an accountant. If you find the stuff interesting, you should plan and investigating it more.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 AM

99 posts, read 172,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I'm not totally ignorant about nursing, it is the profession I want to get into and I've done thorough research and have talked to plenty of nurses. It sounds to me as though you are bitter or maybe nursing isn't a fit for you? Maybe you need a better working environment? Not all nurses have crappy, hospital jobs.

Most jobs have some sort of stress...including accounting. Imagine mounds of paperwork, all these deadlines, little social interaction and having to crunch numbers. Accountants typically work more hours than nurses if they are higher up on the corporate ladder. And like MANY jobs, years of experience is required to advance (not necessarily to move around).

Yeah, some nurses are treated like dirt just like SOME accountants are treated like crap. Both groups can spend years working at the same facility/company and then get dropped like hot potatos.

As for nurses not always being in demand...it is cyclical, as my ex's mother told me. Yeah, you will experience years that have more job opportunities than others, but that goes for plenty of jobs. Nursing, overall, is a more stable field than many of these business-majors.

Accounting is not necessarily more stable than nursing. My dad is now unemployed accountant, my ex's stepfather, an accountant, is being let go along with thousands of others, thanks to the economy.

You can urge and play scare tactics all you want. Nursing still is a great base or fall back career. I don't plan on staying a nurse for life, but I know that it will provide me the lifestyle that I want. And that's what matters.
Bottom line. You're not even in the field. You are NOT a nurse. I am.
Play scare tactics and urge? What do I care if you are determined to go into thousands of dollars of debt for a job that you have no idea about? lol I don't need to urge or play scare tactics.

Say whatever you want. You are NOT a nurse. I repeat: You are NOT a nurse. I have worked in BOTH fields and I can speak for both. I *AM* a nurse. Sorry you don't want to hear it for what it really is! I am not here to sugar coat things for you.

Most people who go into nursing, believe it or not, do NOT care about helping others....perhaps about half do. The other half are the disillusioned people who think this is an "in-demand" and "recession-proof" field. Many are single mothers who can only afford to go to school for a year or two before they make money. So don't fool yourself (not you personally, but everyone on this post) into thinking that all nurses care. Most of the people who got into it without a TRUE passion for science, health care, and to help others are about twice as miserable as the others and eventually end up being chewed up and spit back out.

I'm not here to reinforce the lie about nursing being this awesome job where you get to make a difference in someones life. With staffing issues, foreign nurses being imported LEFT & RIGHT (to work for MUCH less), and new laws, legal troubles, and the already stressful environment of the job, sometimes helping others is put on the back burner.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 PM

774 posts, read 2,495,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5527 View Post
I can't speak as to the work environment of nurses, but accountants don't always have M-F hours. I have worked in public accounting and had to work M-Sat roughly half of the year, typically 65 hours a week.
I worked for a Big Four firm before and I agree - when it's tax season, you're working non-stop. Just because a job is an office job doesn't mean that it's not stressful. It's not a matter of life or death, but when huge clients are involved and millions of dollars are at stake with your job on the line, there's going to be a ton of pressure. I found that to be the case in the accounting world and it's certain the case as an attorney (which is what I am now).

One thing that I always can't stand, though, is the stereotype that accountants are just in the backroom with a pile of receipts and a calculator. Anyone that believes that has absolutely no clue what accountants do. There's a MASSIVE difference between a bookeeper keeping track of a ledger versus a CPA that's integrally involved in the planning, structuring and management of a business. I did plenty of interviewing for the Big Four firm I worked at, and generally speaking, the types of college students that they hire are among the most well-rounded and sociable people that you'll find anywhere on campus plus having GREAT grades - these were the cream of the crop. If anything, people have a hard time keeping up with the non-stop social schedule for the first couple of years in a Big Four firm.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:47 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Most people who go into nursing, believe it or not, do NOT care about helping others....perhaps about half do. The other half are the disillusioned people who think this is an "in-demand" and "recession-proof" field. Many are single mothers who can only afford to go to school for a year or two before they make money. So don't fool yourself (not you personally, but everyone on this post) into thinking that all nurses care. Most of the people who got into it without a TRUE passion for science, health care, and to help others are about twice as miserable as the others and eventually end up being chewed up and spit back out.
Excellent point. I suspect that this probably true for just about every profession, especially doctors (motivated by money, social status, access to high quality women, and job security) and especially for lawyers. I think the first portion of this cartoon sums it up nicely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q12H2fJcHL8

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 10-30-2010 at 07:02 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 06:54 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I found that to be the case in the accounting world and it's certain the case as an attorney (which is what I am now).
It's cartoon night Saturday! Here are two that you might enjoy, Frank. This first one went viral and I think a few clips of it were even shown on CNN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMvARy0lBLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FemkxxZmzcI

Old 11-02-2010, 12:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaalspawn View Post
it's cartoon night saturday! Here are two that you might enjoy, frank. This first one went viral and i think a few clips of it were even shown on cnn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmvary0lble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=femkxxzmzci
hystericalllllll!!!!!!!!!!:d

Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 PM

99 posts, read 172,074 times
I finished a nursing program, as this is where my passion lays. However, I encourage everyone to look into a better field. Nursing has no shortage and there are literally NO jobs. I am in NYC and know BSN nurses who have been out of work for almost a year. When you DO find a job, 9 times out of 10, it will be abusive. Nurses have to deal with an incredible amount of stress, harassment, bullying, and degradation.

This is coming straight from the nurses mouth. If you have any level of self-respect, you will absolutely regret your decision to go into nursing. The suffering is tremendous and most nurses have conditioned themselves to accept the abuse. They are in flat out denial and will viciously defend their career. I am humble enough to say that I LOVE helping my patients, don't mind the dirty work, but I actually have a self esteem and realize that, in this field, human beings are treated well below their worth and it's not natural, nor healthy.

Here are a few fields that I have personally researched and very few people are aware of them. They are currently stable and will BOOM incredibly in the next few years as we have about 60,000,000 baby boomers retiring:

- Occupational Therapy Aide...go for your COTA (Certified Occupational Therapy Aide)- average salary $50,000-$65,000/year to start.

-Physical Therapy Aide- average salary $40,000-55,000/year...but they are needed a little more than COTAs because most people do not want to go to school for PTA. It's a little more difficult of a program and you usually don't go back for your Bachelors. You would make this your career. It has a HIGH rate of job satisfaction, though.

-Health Information Technologies- $50,000-$100,000/year (depending on how large your facility is and what state it's in). Ask yourself, HOW many people do you know that specialize in this? That's right, probably NONE. Why? It's a newer major that was created as health care expands/grows and systems are being updated. Being a computer major will not be enough. Hospitals and Health Care institutions have elaborate billing/coding/medical systems that are updated CONSTANTLY and they need someone who has the specific knowledge to handle them.

-Health Care Administration- $40,000-$85,000/year. This is the person that RUNS the show, per se. They have a vast knowledge of codes, laws, policies, and some payroll and human resource experience. They are the go-to people when there are questions to be asked...they are the jack of all trades. Desk job= LESS harassment, stress, bullying. But don't be fooled, you will have to put in effort and actually know your stuff...very rewarding once you do.

-Diagnostic Sonographer- $35,000-$75,000 This person is trained to look for cancerous masses, cysts, etc. Very rewarding career, works alongside doctor and saves that doctor a DRASTIC amount of money.

I'm just saying..keep your options open. Have a great day and feel free to message me if you would like!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,928 times
Quote:
Bottom line. You're not even in the field. You are NOT a nurse. I am.
Play scare tactics and urge? What do I care if you are determined to go into thousands of dollars of debt for a job that you have no idea about? lol I don't need to urge or play scare tactics.

Say whatever you want. You are NOT a nurse. I repeat: You are NOT a nurse. I have worked in BOTH fields and I can speak for both. I *AM* a nurse. Sorry you don't want to hear it for what it really is! I am not here to sugar coat things for you.

I'm not here to reinforce the lie about nursing being this awesome job where you get to make a difference in someones life. With staffing issues, foreign nurses being imported LEFT & RIGHT (to work for MUCH less), and new laws, legal troubles, and the already stressful environment of the job, sometimes helping others is put on the back burner.
You've been a nurse and an accountant. Good for you. I don't care. Point is this: you do NOT speak for all nurses. I repeat: you do NOT speak for all nurses. If you hate nursing so much and are so miserable, get out of the field and let those who won't ***** and moan so much have your job.

End of discussion.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Htu

2 posts, read 10,567 times
[quote=AppleOrange;16640336]
"Health Information Technologies- $50,000-$100,000/year (depending on how large your facility is and what state it's in). Ask yourself, HOW many people do you know that specialize in this? That's right, probably NONE. Why? It's a newer major that was created as health care expands/grows and systems are being updated. Being a computer major will not be enough. Hospitals and Health Care institutions have elaborate billing/coding/medical systems that are updated CONSTANTLY and they need someone who has the specific knowledge to handle them."

I am interested in Health Information Technologies. I am new in U.S.A. I arrived here in 2010. So, I am not fluent in speaking English like a native speaker. That's why I have to be very careful to find a carrier which does not require art of speaking and the one which has a proper job outlook. I have earned 3.5 average GPA for my 35 college credit in community college though. I can't find that profession name in www.bls.gov where I research job outlook to choose my undergrad major. I live in Houston, TX. I just found there is only one university which offers Health Information Management program. Is it the same. Could you tell me what it is named in university program. Do I need to take Information Technology program 1st to become Health Information Technologist? what does Health Information technologists do in their everyday work? Do they need to manage others? If yes, it is not for me because I am not very fluent in speaking. Although I know accountant doesn't require that much speaking, I dont want to work about 60hrs a week as I still need some time to spend with my future kid when I graduate. I am also thinking about Radiologist and Laboratory Technologist. But a lot of people says there are more supply than demand in the market for those fields these days I almost finished general core carriculum courses to transfer to university next year and I am supposed to take lower division courses depend on what i m majoring. Now I am so confused
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities