U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 11:33 AM

8 posts, read 87,081 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I need some advice here, please help me.

This spring I have to pick a major. I am now study at community college.

My question is what should I pick between Nursing and Accountant, and both

are the Associate Degree 2 years program.

I think I like both careers. Nursing is good job to help people and stable

income, but accounting is more flexible and can make money too.

Do you think if I graduate in 2010 in Accounting, Can I find a job easy

and good pay?

Thank you for any advising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 11:36 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,499,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spice&rice View Post
Hi everyone!

and good pay?

Let me put it like this. Nursing is about one of THE MOST flexible jobs you can get and the way the economy is it is one of the only jobs you're pretty much guaranteed to have a job straight out of school. Food for thought.

Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM

5,846 posts, read 13,046,718 times
Health care is the ONLY industry not losing jobs in this terrible economy

Old 12-31-2008, 01:44 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,765,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spice&rice View Post
Hi everyone!

and good pay?

To me, when someone asks "Nursing or Accounting?" I must respond with another question...

"Do you have a bigger problem with poop or with incredible tedium and minutia?"

Old 12-31-2008, 04:25 PM

6,981 posts, read 16,635,585 times
Could you (or would you) spend several hours Or even days) looking for a 98 cent error?

Could you face a boss or client that wanted you to shade the accounts so that they could skip paying so much in taxes?

Could you skip a family get together because it's the last week before income tax returns are due? Or the end-of-the-month close out? Or it's payday and you haven't done the payroll yet?

In other words, can you handle facing deadlines?

If you couldn't handle any of those things, forget accounting.

Nursing has it's unpleasant tasks too. Hateful patients and their families. Nasty messes and injuies. Odors. Shift work. Witnessing Pain. Death.

Don't look at the good points. There are many for both careers. Think about how you would handle the bad.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,655,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
To me, when someone asks "Nursing or Accounting?" I must respond with another question...

"Do you have a bigger problem with poop or with incredible tedium and minutia?"

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I would NOT want a nurse to take care of me who was equally pondering accounting! They are like polar oposites.

I say go into accounting. I think a person KNOWS they were MEANT for the medical field!

Good luck with whatever you choose

Old 01-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,028 posts, read 60,574,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Could you (or would you) spend several hours Or even days) looking for a 98 cent error?

Could you face a boss or client that wanted you to shade the accounts so that they could skip paying so much in taxes?

Could you skip a family get together because it's the last week before income tax returns are due? Or the end-of-the-month close out? Or it's payday and you haven't done the payroll yet?

In other words, can you handle facing deadlines?

If you couldn't handle any of those things, forget accounting.

Nursing has it's unpleasant tasks too. Hateful patients and their families. Nasty messes and injuies. Odors. Shift work. Witnessing Pain. Death.

Don't look at the good points. There are many for both careers. Think about how you would handle the bad.
Let me give you some of the equivalents in nursing.

Could (would) you do things that went against your education b/c a doctor told you to?

Could you work any and every holiday, giving up your family gatherings or trying to schedule them for a different day? Likewise, could you give up at leasat half your weekends?

Could you deal with asking for some special day off, only to be told they can't "do without you", while someone else gets the time off?

These things happen.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:36 PM

1,968 posts, read 4,495,310 times
If you are only getting a 2 year degree than I would say go for nursing. Isn't an RN a two year degree? I'm in accounting and I think you have many more choices in accounting (goes way beyond taxes and payroll) but I also think you need at least a 4 year degree and possibly a CPA to get those choices and the money.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 9 days ago)

70,028 posts, read 60,574,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
If you are only getting a 2 year degree than I would say go for nursing. Isn't an RN a two year degree?
The "entry into the profession" degree is an AAS. For any job advancement possibilities, you really need a BS. You can get a BSN as your first degree.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:28 PM

8 posts, read 87,081 times
Thank you so much for all your advising. I had BS Degree in Agricultural Economics already, so if I have AS Degree in accounting then I will be eligible to take the CPA exam.

I also interest in nursing because I might have a short waiting list. They will open new community college in 2010, so I think after I done my prerequisites I can get into the program faster.

I am now 36 years old but don't have kid yet, so I hope I will finish any degree and have a good job. I want to have a kid after I have stable income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities