U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 AM

1,771 posts, read 2,356,584 times

Advertisements

One I despised was in grad school. I have always been good at writing and always got good grades on my papers. In this class we had the option of either doing certain exercises to prove we had enough knowledge of certain topics, or writing a paper on a topic we chose. I thought the exercises were too easy for me, so I did the honest thing and wrote the paper. He gave me an awful grade on it and said it wasn't thorough or comprehensive. I tried to make it better but he still hated it. Most of the people in the class lied, pretended the exercises were challenging for them, got good grades on them and aced the class. I did the right thing by writing the paper and got burned. I hate that guy!

The best was in undergrad. It was a journalism class during which we actually learned how to make an effective speech. Through all my years of school, and endless presentations, no one ever taught me how to do this. He broke it down, gave us sheets or a packet of info about it, and critiqued us fairly about our speeches afterward. I actually got good at it, as terrified as I am of it. I have thought about writing this guy a letter to say how awesome he was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 01:05 PM

208 posts, read 528,769 times
My English Comp 101 teacher said on first day of class "No one will make an A in this class. At the best, you may receive a C." Very arrogant and rude woman. I dropped her class after the first day. Luckily I was able to take it next semester with a much nicer teacher.

I liked my Sociology teacher. She was very professional and available to students. Although my major was in Accounting, she sparked my interest in sociological issues.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:22 AM

519 posts, read 1,532,442 times
Despised: I was working on my English BA, and the prof made me rewrite my paper 4 times because she didn't agree with it. Gave me my first migraine.

Adored: First prof in my BA/MA program who really took time to give real (as opposed to "nice job") positive feedback, took time to help me become a better writer, and was just really encouraging. First prof to tell me I was intelligent and had good, unique ideas.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:34 AM

3,225 posts, read 6,143,894 times
The worst professor I ever had was a history course my first year where the professor would scream and curse at the class. He addressed everyone as "f***ers" and "losers", and announced everybody's grades aloud. What a nightmare. I dropped the course and reported him but as far as I know nothing was done because he's still teaching.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:02 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,508,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Here's a thread for you to tell us about one professor you absolutely adored or rather despised and why?

I'll go first ... one professor I despised was one who was supposed to write letter of recommendations for me for grad school, I applied 6 grad schools and I asked him to write 3 of 'em, well he forgot and I couldn't get a hold of him until the deadlines were due and those apps didn't go through. In the end I got into 2/3 of the rest I applied. I guess I wouldn't say I despised him but he was really irresponsible and a bad role model for his students.

A professor I adored and I guess I would have to name more than one but they all fell into the same category where even in a class of 300, they would remember your name (given you show up in class) and even take some time to get to know you one and one and treat you as an individual more than just a number. Some of 'em were exceptionally helpful during my school years and I still keep in contact with them.

The one I despise, to this day, could not keep her appointments, I would sit outside her office for a couple of hours until a secretery came by to tell me that she wasn't in for that day. Made it a point to humilate me in class, and the all time biggest mistake......finding data that contradicted hers. I was being stalked and she made it a point to tell the class that the reason that I was stalked was due to my own ignorance. So, I did what she said and you know what? It was illegal and wouldn't be held up in court. Sweet.
Further, she made it known that we would never have access to specific classes or take trips to certain prisons unless we were going to be cops. She almost jacked me on my internship because she missed out on a meeting. She left me with no other option but to play it out by myself, which I did and then threatened to flunk me because I asked for less hours then she wanted. Which I would have known had she bothered to show up at the meeting. So..........to sum up, she screwed my career in that I couldn't have access to a class, she humiliated me and penalized me for her own screw ups........oh she sucks!!!!

Best ones, pushed me harder, every history prof I ever had. They took me to places and made me work to get it and loved me when I exceeded their expectations. One of my education profs.......I would have to analyze a situation or law and I always (initially) felt as if I was not qualified to come to that conclusion. He would look at me and ask me.......ok, where are you wrong? Your dead on the money.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 AM

117 posts, read 293,601 times
In the course of following music jobs, I attended law school at three different universities. In each case the Torts professor was rude to everyone, me in particular. But at Tulsa University, it was the worst program. Torts professor there had history of throwing things at students (nearly canned for that), and ordered me sit down once, as if I were a four year old. Which is funny, since I'm 6'3" and he's a squrmy little guy about a foot shorter than me.

Torts prof and dean of school & wife are friends. She was the worst professor I'd ever encountered anywhere. Couldn't write to save her life, and spent (we timed it) +/- 85% of the the class time (teaching contracts, which she clearly knew nothing about), discussing her ex-boyfriends, menopausal issues, and her children. This woman got into Harvard, obviously at a time when they were desperate for female candidates.

Moral of the story is: stay away from the TU law program. Unbelievably expensive, and not worth a dime of it, IMHO.

Old 01-11-2009, 04:24 PM

557 posts, read 2,270,539 times
Oh, boy, love this thread. Have been carrying this one around with me for eons! My freshman year at a small private college in MN: the female Spanish prof had it in for me from the start. I must have reminded her of someone she hated or she was just plain jealous. I loved foreign language study and was doing okay in the class (I thought) but she would give me the nastiest looks in the hallway before class. Halfway through the semester, she told me I wasn't studying hard enough (uh, I did my best with a heavy and difficult course load!) and to drop the class to make space for someone serious about studying! Had I been more mature, I would've seen the handwriting on the wall). I hung in there and at the end of the semester but then decided to go to the Dean to drop the class--well, Prof. Witch had the nerve to march into the Dean's office while I was sitting there yelling "I want this student dropped from my class!" I couldn't believe what was happening. Sadly, the Dean didn't like me either probably (he was a Jew and knew I was dating an Arab student....) and somehow I was dropped from the class. I still hate that woman.
Okay, lots of favorite profs!! One favorite was an internationally renowned prof. in his field--older gent at a large university whom I had the pleasure of knowing when I was on the staff in his dept. His fame and demeanor might have been intimidating to some, but he was also one of the most charming and witty profs I've had the pleasure of knowing and enjoying more than one cup of campus coffee with. His grad students loved him, too.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 PM

35,835 posts, read 39,624,392 times
I've had instructors I thoroughly disrespected, but none I actively despised.

My all-time favorite instructor was a college professor who was the department chair of a discipline I didn't even major in, Classics. I took a required interdisciplinary freshman seminar from her as my first college class ever, and she became a special mentor for me. I was the first person in my family to attend college, and was a timid person just starting out at a school about a thousand miles away from any family or friends. She was my advisor until I officially declared a major as a sophomore, and we still talked as friends after that. She went above and beyond to make me feel at home in a new, strange place, and that probably contributed more to my successes than anything. I never took her Latin classes, or her seminars on The Iliad and The Odyssey, just that one introductory mythology course, but I know that those few people who did major in Classics extolled her utter brilliance regularly. To me, though, it was her kindness that stood out. I was later amazed to find that some people considered her fierce and intimidating. I guess we just hit it off. She was the sort of professor I envisioned coming back and visiting long after I graduated...sadly, only a few years after I graduated, she succumbed to a very fast-spreading metastatic cancer. When I read it in my alumni newsletter, I wept.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 9,920,892 times
Well, I got a bit screwed over my Sr. year in college.

I had gotten approval for an independant studies major and was working specifically with ONE professor to obtain the major.

My senior year, he got caught doing something and was immediately FIRED! I was a senior and this left me in a HUGE lurch. Thankfully, the university worked with me and I was able to only go an extra semester (the summer) to finish with a different major, but they let me walk with my class.

I will never forget him. I really did like him and it really upset me when he left.

Dawn

Old 01-13-2009, 07:27 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,437,169 times
lol that is freaky. I had a couple of professors like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
The worst professor I ever had was a history course my first year where the professor would scream and curse at the class. He addressed everyone as "f***ers" and "losers", and announced everybody's grades aloud. What a nightmare. I dropped the course and reported him but as far as I know nothing was done because he's still teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities