U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 AM

17,379 posts, read 14,884,061 times

Advertisements

I never "despised" a professor, but I had two whose classes I hated. One was for Algebra, and I am not good at math. He was one of those guys for whom it came so easily, he was unable to grasp that not everyone understood it, and was unable to teach "down" to our level. Often when I asked questions to clarify, I ended up more confused than before he answered. The other was a Western Civ class I took at night, once a wek for 2.5 hours. It was the longest and most boring class ever, he just droned on and on, and the tests had NOTHING to do with anything we talked about in class. Both these guys were almost elderly, at least 70's, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Two that I adored, were the Algebra prof I got the semester after I dropped the first guy's class - she was like a kindergarten teacher, in a good way, she cared very much that everyone understood and was able to explain at everyone's level. Once, we had a quiz on Friday and a test on Monday...she called several people at home who did poorly on the quiz and told them to come in and see her the morning of the test, so she could go over it with them again!

The other was a Biology prof who just made it so much FUN, and gave a ton of opportunities for extra credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:58 PM

1,116 posts, read 981,579 times
The professor I adored the most was a perky adjunct Composition I instructor I had during my first semester of community college. She was always in a good mood and was more like a student than a teacher. I was a terrible student in high school, and I had no self-esteem. I started community college with a clean slate and a promise to myself to do better. I handed my first essay in thinking it was crap like everything else I did in my academic career up to that point. I mean, I basically just cleaned up something I wrote in high school. But I ended up getting an "A" on it with a note saying that I was the only student in the entire class who didn't have to rewrite it. She approached me after class to rave about my paper and informed me that I had a talent for writing. It touched me so much that someone believed in me, and that gave me a confidence boost that carried me through the remainder of my college career. A couple of days later I was sitting in my Sociology class, and she tracked me down right before class was supposed to start. She gestured for me to come out to the hallway, which I thought was bizarre. I went out there wondering what the heck was going on. She just wanted to let me know that that day was the deadline for some writing contest. She encouraged me to submit my essay for the contest. I don't think I submitted it for some reason, but the fact that she believed in me enough to find out my schedule and track me down to tell me about a contest speaks volumes of her awesomeness. The good professors can see something in their students that students can't see in themselves.

A close runner-up was an International Relations professor I had in my junior and senior years of college. I took 5 classes with him, and every single one was illuminating. He was an old Korean guy who told the funniest stories. He was one of those professors who taught by experience. He didn't just talk about JFK. He exchanged Christmas cards with the Kennedys. He had met and spoke with Kim Il-Sung before so he could provide insight about the man himself. That really brought what we were learning to life. This professor took a liking to me. I couldn't understand why. I never participated, and my attendance record wasn't the best, but others in the class remarked about the favoritism I received. He would always smile at me and would give me good grades on all papers, tests, and presentations (sometimes unjustifiably). And when I needed a letter of recommendation for law school he came through with the most exquisite letter I've ever read. He believed in me too--way more than I believed in myself.

I despised all of my law professors equally. They were all pretty insufferable. Of course I'm biased because I got kicked out. Actually I've never despised any of my professors as people. I've certainly dreaded attending some classes, but that was usually a product of my lack of interest in the material or my unpreparedness for class. I never had any really bad professors. All of them were proficient in their respective fields and showed at least a minimal amount of interest in their students. I only had professors whose teaching style didn't mesh well with my learning style. I preferred the more laidback teachers opposed to the more strict ones.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:46 PM

21,075 posts, read 15,366,366 times
Despised: I was a history minor for awhile and took a Civil War history class. He was probably the most politicized professor I ever had. We had a hard personality clash to the point I eventually walked out, withdrew the class, and never returned. To this day, seeing this guy's picture just ticks me off.

Great: Jewish professor of sociology who went from a Marxist to an ultraconservative. He now is involved in research on Islam and terrorism and is a trusted resource to the military. He was very influential in my political beliefs.

I had a great professor for political life and idea of the city, among a few other courses. He was a great resource on urbanization and local politics, having served in local politics for several decades. He was fairly liberal, and even as my politics went from liberal to more conservative, he didn't exclude or judge me the way the other political science professors did. He also helped me with some things in my personal life and was kind of like another grandfather to me.

I had a few really good economics professors as well, many of whom were either conservative or purely factual.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:23 AM

4,090 posts, read 4,396,358 times
Best professor: I came into college with a major case of depression and a serious "no idea what I'm doing here." I took a psychology class in my second semester and ended up with a new outlook on life. He then made me president of his club, and did a few other smaller favors over the years. He completely turned my life around.

Worst professor: I took a public speaking class. The professor stood in front of the class the first day and started bragging about her "modeling career" and her trips to Europe and how AWESOME she was. In the first eight classes, she missed five of them. There was no email, I waited a good two hours from my last class to walk to hers to find the cancellation notice on her door. The one day she did come in, she told everyone that she was sick (even though her public FaceBook profile had pictures of her on vacation), and to "shut up and read your text books silently so you don't **** me off." I ended up getting an administrative drop. I haven't seen her name back on the class sign ups either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities