U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:45 AM

2,606 posts, read 6,120,241 times

Advertisements

In my opinion it's more evening classes that seem to be offered everywhere, but only specific colleges that are more for older adults will have weekend options.
JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM

10,154 posts, read 11,601,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I'll look at the schools, thanks. I was just curious if others my age had been able to make it work for them. I have a house/husband/child so I have bills to pay that mean I do need to work. I looked at one univ. near me that didn't seem to offer any non-traditional hours so thought I'd get some of your thoughts.
I'm not too familiar with the financial aid stuff, so probably need to look into that. I'm unemployed at the moment, so alone I'd probably qualify for some, but husband makes enough that I can't. There doesn't seem to be many merit based aid from what I can see, so how do people do the day classes I keep wondering?
Thanks for the posts all.

If people want to get an education they figure it out. I am 43 years old and I am a student. I have 3 kids and a husband. It's not easy, but it's doable.

I do think that as an adult student you need to look at the entire program that you want to complete and have a plan in place to deal with the schedule. If you talk to the people who run the programs they may have some suggestions that will help you. Remember, they have seen hundreds of students who have succeeded as well as those who have failed. They will have insight that nobody here will have.

I have a list of things people do to get by. Some of the things they do may be unpalatable to you but people do them. There is no such thing as a degree with no sacrifices whether you are an older students or not. If you go to class and complete your classwork that is time that you cannot do something else. If you life is totally full right now then any time you spend on schoolwork will need to come out of time you spend doing something else, whether that is work time or family time. There is no way to get a degree without cutting back on something.

Things people do:
1. They get by with less money.
2. They get part time jobs.
3. They get their spouses to help with the kids.
4. They work in jobs that have a somewhat flexible schedule (retail and restaurants).
5. They borrow money (student loans).
6. They go to the cheapest (state) school rather than the best school.
7. They get jobs at the university (which are usually willing to work with your class schedule).
8. They live in cheap housing.
9. They drive cheap cars.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,482,966 times
Most 4 year colleges and universities have many classes offered in the evenings. As an undergrad, I had a number of classes in the evening at Michigan State University and they had a whole center for continuing education meant for non-traditional students; older students and/or students with families.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM

1,136 posts, read 2,342,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Most 4 year colleges and universities have many classes offered in the evenings. As an undergrad, I had a number of classes in the evening at Michigan State University and they had a whole center for continuing education meant for non-traditional students; older students and/or students with families.
That's good to know. It sounds like some do, and some may not. More research needed. LOL.
I'm just in 2nd semester of CC now, but was looking ahead at whether it may be harder when I transfer to a Uni. later on.
One step at a time, and continue plodding forward.

Thanks all.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,831,048 times
Most will offer night classes. Some offer online and few offer weekens, but again, it depends. My experience with 4 year colleges is that most offer classes that start at 6 or 7 at night, depending on scheduling (I'm teaching 2 of these classes now)

I also taught continuing education classes at our university and they had more night classes and did offer 1 saturday class a semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities