Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 02:34 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times

Advertisements

Here's a list of the silly classes I shouldn't have had to take:
MUSIC 100 (I had 9 years of theory in elem-middle-HS)
Astronomy 191 and 192 - I know what a planet and star are
Geology 110 - What's a volcano? HURR DURR I DON'T KNOW
Logic 120 - Truth tables... pfft
STA200 - Screw that, I have to take the SAME EXACT COURSE under a geo heading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,627 times
I signed up for a "Choose Your Major/Career" class because I was undecided and thought it might be helpful. But it feels like I'm back in high school - we do silly games, learn about resumes, job interviews, etc...Basic stuff that I learned freshman year of high school - that everyone should know! There were a couple of class periods dedicated to finding a career/major right for you, but it was mostly taking quizzes and then handing them in. Very little discussion or analyzing of results.

Then I found out that my university has a department for this sort of thing, and I could have gone there right off the bat. It would have been much more helpful and time/money efficient.

It was definitely my fault for not doing more research on my university before signing up for the class. Can't believe I'm paying for such a waste of time!

Also, English 211. We sat around and talked about literacy. I love reading. I love the English language. I love writing. I HATE paying someone so that I can read and talk about books. If I want to do that I can do it on my own time, thank you very much. I value classes that TEACH me how to do something. There aren't many courses aimed to improve writing at my university, most of them are just literature classes: read/talk about it. Lame.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,007 times
Physics for a bio major

Old 03-20-2010, 05:10 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Hey, cut us some slack. Some of us older students, myself included. may have went to high schools that didn't offer or require algebra. The high school football team was the main focus in my small town, not learning algebra. Thankfully, even there that has changed.
I agree. When I was in high school Algebra was not required. I did not sign up for it either. I hate math. Of course I did a disservice to myself as the first time I did Algebra was in college. I have made it through several algebra classes fine but if you do not use algebra in your everyday life, you will not retain it.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Art or art appreciation, for instance.

I actually do think math classes are important, but they need to stop making everybody to take bio and what not. Basic classes need to be taught in High School and not in College. I don't want to pay thousands of Dollars for that crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities