U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:24 PM

20,797 posts, read 32,895,458 times

Advertisements

The private college I attended has an automatic scholarship for having a certain GPA. If you have a 3.75 or above on a 4.0 scale you get an automatic $12,000 scholarship. It is graduated down from there but you don't have to apply for that one.

Private schools have much more money available for grants and scholarships then public schools. Often it is less expensive for a student to attend a private school then a public school because of the funds available for aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM

2,518 posts, read 864,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My son is a high school junior, and today he received an email from SMU (Southern Methodist?) informing him that between his SAT scores and his self-reported GPA, he was eligible to receive an academic scholarship.

When my oldest attended a Catholic university, he was also offered a scholarship based on his grades to return.

I am curious about these. Do schools generally make the offer, or do you have to request them? And, are private or religious oriented schools more likely to offer them than public universities?
My SATs got me a scholarship to Tulane (certainly not my grades, my friend from the same school had a full grade better in GPA and went to Tulane, but was not offered an Academic Scholarship) and I was offered many at private schools. Public universities offer them as well, but it's very rare in comparison to private schools.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM

7,792 posts, read 9,362,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Here is the SMU flyer about it. They automatically apply people for various scholarships who are accepted to the school.
http://smu.edu/admission/MeritScholarships.pdf

I'm curious if your kids took the PSAT, because that also provides the possibility for scholarships.
My son has taken the SAT. He scored a 710 on each the math and the language portion. His GPA is at 4.0 as a junior. I am signing him up for the SAT2 so he can take the math specific test. He wants to attend an engineering school, and right now is eligible for GA Tech @ 100% tuition free, but really wants to go further from home. I am thinking engineering specific schools may not offer as much in academic scholarship money, as they tend to attract very strong math students to begin with, correct?

Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,592,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's my daughter, not my husband, getting the DPT (Doctorate in Physical Therapy). DH got a PhD in physics. Sorry for any confusion. Anyway, DH got his salary for being a TA/RA.

DD does not work. The school (University of Colorado) recommends NOT working. They go to class screwy hours, and now that they're doing clinicals, they go 40 hrs/wk. A few students do work, very part time. Consequently, there is not much one can do besides retail, teach rec classes, etc.
Cool Oooh a Physicist Now I know what DD means. She picked a great field IMHO.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM

12,133 posts, read 14,309,160 times
Physics is a good field too...

Old 02-04-2009, 06:11 PM

70,080 posts, read 60,674,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Physics is a good field too...
Yes, though DH says if he were starting a career now (instead of ending it), he doesn't know what he'd do. He doesn't actually work as a physicist, more in engineering, and everything is being outsourced.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 PM

12,133 posts, read 14,309,160 times
ahhh... well, the health side of physics is in dire need of people!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:56 PM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,301,203 times
Quote:
My son has taken the SAT. He scored a 710 on each the math and the language portion. His GPA is at 4.0 as a junior. I am signing him up for the SAT2 so he can take the math specific test. He wants to attend an engineering school, and right now is eligible for GA Tech @ 100% tuition free, but really wants to go further from home. I am thinking engineering specific schools may not offer as much in academic scholarship money, as they tend to attract very strong math students to begin with, correct?
Being able to go to GA Tech tuition free is a very good offer, considering it's a top 10 engineering school. Scholarships all depend on the school, some have more to offer than others.

The reason I asked about the PSAT, is that it offers it's own scholarship program.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 PM

1,652 posts, read 4,964,528 times
Well, I qualified what I said with, "As a whole . . . ." And before that I said, it will depend on the school.

I wasn't speaking on a state level, but in general. I assume we're talking only about academic scholarships here.

I have different experiences with college admissions and financial aid. Personally, I applied to more private schools and the schools that I applied to were universities that mostly offered only need based financial aid. I applied to a lot of elite colleges. For the most part, elite colleges do not offer scholarships. A great example of that is the Ivy League, none of the 8 Ivy schools offer merit aid.

An exception would be Duke. I know they have a very prestigious academic scholarship.

As a college counselor, I know that private schools can sometimes be more affordable than some public schools. Most of the students that I work with don't have to worry about being able to afford college.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 PM

1,652 posts, read 4,964,528 times
Quote:

He should look into Vanderbilt they have pretty good engineering program and his scores and GPA would put him in consideration for some scholarship money. Also, Auburn University is a school where he would definitely be able to get some money. How far does he want to be away from home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities