U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,142 times
Default Should i finish my Bachelor's Degree or should i not?

Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I just need some advises on my education. I came here originally as an international student in 2002. I graduated from community college in WA and moved to az to get my B.A. in 2004. In 2006 I ended up leaving school with one year left to go to get BA for personal issues. Then i got married and became a permanent resident recently. Ever since I left school, all i wanted to do was to finish my degree. that was my dream and still is. However, I have been thinking what i wanna do for my career, and i have started thinking about becoming a nurse. I love helping ppl and nursing is high in demand. There will be always a job anywhere i go. If i do go for nursing, i am going back to Community college. The only thing that is holding me back is that I will not finish what i started. if there is a way for me to get my BA while im on a waiting list for nursing program that will be the best way. I just don't know what I should do. I am so stressed over this. Any suggestions? please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 AM

18,899 posts, read 11,088,368 times
What I would do is matriculate to a uni with the same major started. After a semester of classes I would speak with my advisor about taking on a second major (nursing). Since some, perhaps most, nursing programs have waiting lists, I would start taking the core requirements while finishing up the other degree requirements. I wouldn't do community college since you already walked that path. You're going to need A&P, chem classes, etc. Why wait to start? Providing you're a good student, you know you're going to get in a program and there's no point in putting it off imo.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:41 AM

351 posts, read 581,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempegirl View Post
Hi everyone. I am new to this site. I just need some advises on my education. I came here originally as an international student in 2002. I graduated from community college in WA and moved to az to get my B.A. in 2004. In 2006 I ended up leaving school with one year left to go to get BA for personal issues. Then i got married and became a permanent resident recently. Ever since I left school, all i wanted to do was to finish my degree. that was my dream and still is. However, I have been thinking what i wanna do for my career, and i have started thinking about becoming a nurse. I love helping ppl and nursing is high in demand. There will be always a job anywhere i go. If i do go for nursing, i am going back to Community college. The only thing that is holding me back is that I will not finish what i started. if there is a way for me to get my BA while im on a waiting list for nursing program that will be the best way. I just don't know what I should do. I am so stressed over this. Any suggestions? please help

Becoming a nurse sounds great, I am a nurse. You should work on getting you BSN (bachelor of science in nursing) then instead of BA. It is nearly required in most places (hospitals) now and opens up a ton of more opportunities than an associate degree. Some of the classes you took working towards your BA may transfer too towards a BSN. But there is a time frame limit. Meet with an advisor at the university regarding this ASAP. Good luck and I think you are making a wise decision.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 AM

52 posts, read 70,238 times
hey there!i'm kei from the Philippines.i just want to help you out a bit.in my opinion, it is a good decision to continue your study. we Filipinos believe that education is the tool for success that's why if you will notice Filipinos strive to obtain their degree. and i think this does not only apply to us filipinos because i do believe education is for everyone and we all want to be successful right?. by the way, what was your previous degree that you haven't finish yet??

weigh things out and don't forget to follow your heart...ok!

by the way i'm a teacher.

Quote:

Old 02-07-2009, 07:09 AM

931 posts, read 2,504,147 times
What was your major in your BA?

Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 AM

37 posts, read 85,983 times
Absolutly get the Bachelor degree...it will give you a wealth of more opprotunities than a two year degree and will also expand your mind in many ways. I agree with other feedback that you should use the credits you already have to get the 4 year degree in nursing. If not, still get the BA, you have done much of the work and it is very rewarding to finish what you started. I will always remeber the day I graduated from the University of Miami as one of the best days of my life!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 AM

67,284 posts, read 54,864,175 times
Quote:
Another nurse chiming in. If you are going to pursue nursing, get the BSN! Since you have some college credits, you are part way there already. It would probably take about the same length of time to get a BSN as an AAS, and as has been previously stated, you will have a lot more opportunity for job advancement.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:49 AM

4,855 posts, read 4,409,011 times
You might want to work as an aide in a hospital first to see if nursing really will be right for you. If you think it is, maybe some of the courses you've taken already can be transferred into a nursing program. Personally, I wouldn't do a BSN first, only after I was absolutely sure.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:57 AM

67,284 posts, read 54,864,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
You might want to work as an aide in a hospital first to see if nursing really will be right for you. If you think it is, maybe some of the courses you've taken already can be transferred into a nursing program. Personally, I wouldn't do a BSN first, only after I was absolutely sure.
I think that is good advice. I was saying, IF the OP is going to pursue nursing, get the BSN, not an AAS. It can be done in about the same amount of time, as she already has an associates' degree.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 PM

3,196 posts, read 3,160,736 times
Get the BS.
Get the RN.
then go get a MS in nursing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities