Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,034,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Community Colleges are for kids with NO future.

I've been told I'm a GIFTED writer.

That is why I cannot go to Community College.
LOL...I'm beginning to question your stated high IQ or perhaps it is just that you don't have a corresponding amount of common sense.

Lots of people start out at community college and then transfer to a 4 year school. That's what my kids both plan to do (unless DS goes into engineering which is a 3-4 year program at most universities). It's a perfectly acceptable academic plan.

I don't care how much potential or 'gift' you have, if you are lazy it won't make a difference and you'll flunk out of a 4 year school (if you can even get accepted). If you aren't going to 'cowboy up' then for goodness sake, start out at the community college closest to home, take a few classes and see how you do, maybe keep working as well. Perhaps you can get into your preferred field without a degree.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 AM

356 posts, read 806,142 times
How can somebody who's nickname is NCYank use "cowboy up" twice????

Seriously! Dont you remember stupid Kevin Millar and all those bozo Red Sox fans in Cowboy hats???

How do you know I'm gonna flunk out of a 4 year college just because I'm lazy? I dont cut class or anything stupid like that. Its not like I dont TRY.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,366,729 times
Quote:
But I have developed it.

I've gotten much better over time. I'm a writer for my local paper...covering 3 sports...and i'm on the editorial board for my HS paper.

Community College??? Please.
See..there's your problem. You said you have developed it. You have not yet graduated from HIGH SCHOOL and your grades are unexceptional. True education is a lifelong process. You seem to think that by someone's deeming you "gifted" you deserve some special consideration that other less "gifted" (or worthy) people don't deserve - that colleges shouldn't consider your unremarkable grades because you offer so much else. Wake up and smell the coffee. Real life is about actual effort and accomplishment not "potential". Most employers would rather hire a less "gifted" and more "diligent" person to fill a job. Who will get the job done? That's what it comes down to. If truly, you are so gifted and accomplished writer and have already developed your potential, skip college altogether and write.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:07 AM

I didnt say I was better than everybody else or anything.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:11 AM

So lets say I get a 3.40 this quarter and the next two quarters...my GPA would be 3.02 and my cummulative GPA would be 2.95, which I believe would make it an exact B.

What are my chances then? I honestly think I can do that these next two quarters...

why?

I'm taking easier classes! Forensics is much easier, a new math teacher who's much more easier going than my stingy previous teacher, I've talked to my english teacher and told her I want a B+ next quarter and she said I CAN do it and she wants to see me do it. History I plan on getting my grade from a B to an A-. All I really have to is participate and maybe do a LITTLE better on test and quizzes.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I didnt say I was better than everybody else or anything.
By implication you have said that. You feel that your "giftedness" is worth something and people ought to consider that when looking at your less than stellar grades. How is that fair to all those non-lazy people who work hard and make sacrifices to get the grades to get into those schools? You think you are the only kid who has extra curricular activites? Plenty of those 4.0 kids have lists of EC's plenty long. But for some reason, you feel entitled to a place at one of these non-embarrassing schools. That sounds like classic entitlement. Maybe if you spent as much time on the grades as you do looking for easy answers on the internet....

Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,034,539 times
Quote:
How can somebody who's nickname is NCYank use "cowboy up" twice????

Seriously! Dont you remember stupid Kevin Millar and all those bozo Red Sox fans in Cowboy hats???

How do you know I'm gonna flunk out of a 4 year college just because I'm lazy? I dont cut class or anything stupid like that. Its not like I dont TRY.
For reference...
Quote:
Cowboy Up
Basically, another way of saying "Shut up and take it like a man" or "Quit your whining." The term is derived from the popular image of cowboys being tough, unflinching, uncomplaining, and hard-working.
True, you might not flunk out but certainly your grades would be as unremarkable as your high school track record would predict. Here's one reason that you might do worse in college than in high school....IT'S HARDER. And you don't try very hard....that is what lazy means. You do have an opportunity to turn it around though...but you'll have to change your attitude as well as your behavior to see a long lasting impact and truly reach your potential.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
For reference...

True, you might not flunk out but certainly your grades would be as unremarkable as your high school track record would predict. Here's one reason that you might do worse in college than in high school....IT'S HARDER. And you don't try very hard....that is what lazy means. You do have an opportunity to turn it around though...but you'll have to change your attitude as well as your behavior to see a long lasting impact and truly reach your potential.
Are you a Yankees fan?? Just wondering. Your screename makes me think you're a Yankees fan...then you whip out Cowboy Up on me.

A new environment would probably be the best thing to happen to me.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
For reference...

Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
So lets say I get a 3.40 this quarter and the next two quarters...my GPA would be 3.02 and my cummulative GPA would be 2.95, which I believe would make it an exact B.

What are my chances then? I honestly think I can do that these next two quarters...

why?

I'm taking easier classes! Forensics is much easier, a new math teacher who's much more easier going than my stingy previous teacher, I've talked to my english teacher and told her I want a B+ next quarter and she said I CAN do it and she wants to see me do it. History I plan on getting my grade from a B to an A-. All I really have to is participate and maybe do a LITTLE better on test and quizzes.
Wow... I'm sure those admissions offices have never seen THAT before! How clever!
Seriously, I am getting to the point that I have to ask...Are you really interested in an education or is the point trying to get into a "name" college so as not to embarrass yourself or your family while you waste tens of thousands of dollars (parents money I'm guessing?) being lazy at a "good" school, barely graduating and then living at home while complaining that the job offers are not worthy of your potential? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities