Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Are you a Yankees fan?? Just wondering. Your screename makes me think you're a Yankees fan...then you whip out Cowboy Up on me.

A new environment would probably be the best thing to happen to me.
No, my screenname is NC because I live in North Carolina, and yank because I'm from PA and down here will always be considered a Yankee....not the baseball type, the geographical type.

The other thing you will have to remember about college is that it is much more competitive than high school. Your peers will not only be as gifted as you but most will not be as lazy. Frankly, a student who is very hardworking can run circles around a lazy but gifted student so don't rely too much on your natural ability if you aren't willing to back it up with HARD WORK. Most business people will take the hardworking employee any day over the gifted but lazy one....you have to really consider all of this now. You won't be the editor of your college paper like you are in high school, you'll be starting from the bottom up and 'lazy but great potential' just won't cut it...not at community college and not at a 4 year school and not on a resume after you graduate.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:52 AM

356 posts, read 808,530 times
I'm interested in a good education.

How do you know I'm going to be lazy??? Being away from my a-hole parents and my jerkoff friends and with new friends could be the best thing for me!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Cowboy Up?? Go back to Boston!
Them is fightin' words, surr...

I'm truly baffled; I say "Cowboy Up" and you say "Boston"...

This is strong indication of an atypical associative process.

I actually think that you have a lot in common with the 18-year-old me, so I'm going to venture a guess and give you some advice that I needed to hear: Gifted writers have an edge as lawyers, as journalists, as businessmen, etc. etc. but it isn't necessarily a stock-in-trade. The core of your value in any career or endeavor is that people can trust you to get things done and get them done right. I would start cultivating a work ethic above and beyond anything else (which is to say "knock out two 4.0 quarters"). Procrastination is self-reinforcing. It gets harder and harder to get out of the cycle the longer you let it go on, so get out of it now. In short, COWBOY UP

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 02-13-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Them is fightin' words, surr...

I'm truly baffled; I say "Cowboy Up" and you say "Boston"...

This is strong indication of an atypical associative process

You clearly dont remember the 2003 ALCS...

Kevin Millar ignites a rallying cry in Boston with "Cowboy Up"...but we get the better thanks to Aaron Boone!

Unfortunately those damn Red Sawks win next year...and then again 3 years later...

BUT WE WILL PREVAIL THIS YEAR! CC, AJ, MARK TEXIERA!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:06 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Quote:
I'm interested in a good education.

How do you know I'm going to be lazy??? Being away from my a-hole parents and my jerkoff friends and with new friends could be the best thing for me!
Your past behavior is the best predictor of your future behavior. It's also not a good sign that you 'blame' your environment as part of the problem. If you can only be successful around other people or somewhere else then you won't be successful. You think none of your professors will be 'a-holes', none of the new people you meet at college will be jerks? Your potential for success isn't defined by those around you but by the person YOU ARE, and that doesn't change when you leave home and go to college unless you change.

Look, I'm not trying to give you a hard time but you posted here asking for advice. The problem is that the answers are not what you want to hear. The solutions to your problems are to stop being so lazy, stop blaming those around you as part of your failure to reach your potential, stop dismissing viable options because they are not up to some standard set only in your own mind, stop looking for the easy way out, stop thinking your 'gift' is enough when you aren't willing to back it up with hard work.....these are things you have been doing and it's not working. Time to grow up and do something else. We'd love for you to prove us all wrong.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:11 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
You clearly dont remember the 2003 ALCS...

Kevin Millar ignites a rallying cry in Boston with "Cowboy Up"...but we get the better thanks to Aaron Boone!

Unfortunately those damn Red Sawks win next year...and then again 3 years later...

BUT WE WILL PREVAIL THIS YEAR! CC, AJ, MARK TEXIERA!
Definitely don't recall. I had football to watch and the 'Stros were out of it. Apart from an uncompromising hatred of the Yankees, not a whole lot gets me interested in baseball.

Anyway, enough about baseball. You need to learn to stay on subject.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:52 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:

And in class. What is a high school student doing posting on CityData during school hours? That's no way to bring up your grades.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 AM

Ever hear of Free Periods??????

I have two

Old 02-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Definitely don't recall. I had football to watch and the 'Stros were out of it. Apart from an uncompromising hatred of the Yankees, not a whole lot gets me interested in baseball.

What have the Astros EVER won??

I hate the Mutt scum so much but they kicked your *** in 1986 and you always lose when it counts!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 AM

22,569 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Ever hear of Free Periods??????

I have two

You shouldn't have any!

You should be studying, bringing up those grades, during your "Free Periods", not wasting time on message boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities