Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 03:50 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times

Advertisements

I'll chime in, too. My daughter attends SJSU, and she chose it because, ironically, the UC's don't have Business Schools (unless it's a graduate program). SJSU is well-known for its Computer Science, Business and Engineering programs -- it is also a prime location, as Caltep said, for internships.

Yes, there are many Asians there. In fact, my daughter is taking her second semester of Mandarin (she is white) and almost all the students in her class are Asian -- apparently, because of the immigrant population, and because the kids know English, they have lost some Chinese -- thus, their parents make them take Chinese in college!

If you can, why not become a naturalized citizen? Would that help with tuition? (I don't know how that works.)

I received my graduate degree from SUNY Buffalo, and I can tell you, if you're in California right now....you would hate New York State! Oh, my gosh -- the winters, the rain, the gloomy skies -- great people, but the weather....did I mention the snow??

SJSU sounds like a good choice. You would get in (my daughter had a 3.8 GPA and chose SJSU, even though we live in Santa Cruz because UCSC is a liberal arts college and my daughter wants a marketable undergraduate degree). By the way, her boyfriend is Chinese and attends UC Santa Cruz, but wanted to go to grad school in Engineering at SJSU and said that it's "too hard" to get into...apparently, their Engineering School is really good. So, because he got his grad degree in Math at UCSC, he's going to attend their new Engineering School (which does not have the history and depth of SJSU).

Look what's in San Jose: Google, Yahoo!, HP, Apple, and the list goes on and on. These are all potential internships.

Good luck to you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,548 times
I just went to AZ recently and visited Arizona state campus inside out. To my surprise, the giant campus impressed me. and it is one of the largest campus I have ever seen in all the state universities. Definitely larger than SJSU. And another thing is California has 23 state campuses spread out and AZ has one huge centralized one. So I have no doubt about the quality of education u r going to get there.

And it's too expensive to live in bay area near San Jose now. Plus u have your aunt there. ASU is right at phoenix which is the capital of AZ and it has big tech companies there too. Even If u wanna move to other states after school, I m sure that all the employers will know ASU.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:43 AM

112 posts, read 361,425 times
Thank you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylone View Post
it is one of the largest campus I have ever seen in all the state universities. Definitely larger than SJSU. And another thing is California has 23 state campuses spread out and AZ has one huge centralized one. So I have no doubt about the quality of education u r going to get there.

ASU is right at phoenix which is the capital of AZ and it has big tech companies there too. Even If u wanna move to other states after school, I m sure that all the employers will know ASU.

Is that true?

Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
from all i understand the tech market here is pretty dry right now

Old 03-05-2009, 04:27 PM

112 posts, read 361,425 times
Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering rising in national rankings - Fulton School of Engineering
Progress of ASU engineering school reflected in national rankings - Fulton School of Engineering

The ranking trend of ASU engineering school is improving.
If I am not wrong the overall school reputation is negatively impacted because of their non-rigorous admission, the admission rate (surprisingly 90%) , being a top party school, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities