Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:49 PM

112 posts, read 361,446 times

Advertisements

Which one would be worth to go?

I'm international transfer student seeking bachelor degree in computer science. I got 3.48 GPA. After evaluation is done, my GPA becomes 3.79.

I would like to have quality school ( with better internship opportunity. academic, and more prestigeous ).

I need help badly. Please help me. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 04:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
pretty diverse options in that group. What led you to narrow down on just those? Are you looking to stay in the country after graduation - if so what part?

Also by SUNY do you mean the state universities in NY? If so, it's not like a lot of other states where they have a main state university and a couple of smaller branches (like PA you have PA Main Campus and then places like Penn St. - Erie). Is there a specific school in the SUNY network you are looking at?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 PM

yeh...i dun know which one is main though but i'm talking about SUNY at stony brook. Coz i heard that it has pretty good computer science program..is that true?

i consider these facts:
#budget around 23k (including room & board for academic year)
#job and internship opportunity
#prestigue and academically effectiveness
#rank / reputation
#scholarship
#sucessful alumni / bigger network / career

Moreover, i'm aiming to go ivy league for post graduate...i know the school background would affect the admission to those elite schools...so yeh..

help me!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Who did the evaluation? Each school can evaluate your transcripts and come up with a different number. The problem with asking people on this forum to evaluate these very different schools is that none are particularly nationally known schools. I am more familiar with the SUNY schools because I live in the Northeast and am somewhat familiar with ASU because my nephew goes there but no nothing about SJSU. I think most people on this forum would have the same problem. At some point you have to just pick a school and get the best grades you can.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM

WES did.So how do you think of SUNY vs ASU?I dun want to go the school without knowing anything about that school. i'm sure someone body here knows something about those schools. Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
My nephew is actually at ASU for computer engineering. He thinks it's a great school. What do you want to know that you can't find out by looking at the sites that have been provided to you on other threads? I can pretty much guarantee you that no other person on this site has thought of going to those three schools because they are very different from each other. Each of them has probably 90% (if not higher) of students from the state where they are located. Because they are public schools there is a big discount for being a state resident. I'm not sure how else to say this. Many people compare colleges like MIT to CalTech and Harvey Mudd or they might compare Drexel to RIT and Purdue but they don't usually compare third tier state colleges to each other.

A New York resident will not see the value in going across the country to pay out of state tuition at the cost of $17,000. at ASU or $13,800 at SJSU plus at least $1,000 a year for travel, when they can pay $5,760 in state. It would be even more for an Arizona resident who would pay $4,900 in-state or $12,000 out of state at Stonybrook.

If I had to pick I would say that ASU is the best known of your three choices because it's a larger school. It also has an agreeable climate (Tempe campus) and is well priced.

Here are some sites that may help you: College Navigator - National Center for Education Statistics CollegeData: College Search, Financial Aid, College Application, College Scholarship, Student Loan, FAFSA Info, Common Application Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM

730 posts, read 1,895,586 times
I would believe SJSU, being in the heart of Silicon Valley may be a good choice in terms of numbers of grads in that area, especially in computer science and engineering. This probably makes for better internship opportunities also. SJSU is not as well known as ASU (in general), but it also is in the shadow of Stanford and UC Berkeley. I think it is a good school and being in the Bay Area, is a school and community that international students can assimilate into easily. Remember that the cost of living there is high compared to the rest of the country, it is an urban campus (area is getting better), and though it has substantial on-campus housing, is primarily a commuter campus. If you live in the surrounding neighborhood, it used to be that anything south of Santa Clara street is the "University Zone" and probably safer than anything north of Santa Clara Steet. The weather year round is wonderful and activities in northern CA are plentiful and accessible.

Hope this helps...good luck in your choice.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Default True

Non-resident tuition at public schools is very high and typically international students cannot qualify for in state tuition. In that regard, sometimes you should also consider a private school because you will probably end up paying the same anyway. Plus, you will need to verify financial resources to qualify for your F-1/I-20 so hopefully you have that in line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My nephew is actually at ASU for computer engineering. He thinks it's a great school. What do you want to know that you can't find out by looking at the sites that have been provided to you on other threads? I can pretty much guarantee you that no other person on this site has thought of going to those three schools because they are very different from each other. Each of them has probably 90% (if not higher) of students from the state where they are located. Because they are public schools there is a big discount for being a state resident. I'm not sure how else to say this. Many people compare colleges like MIT to CalTech and Harvey Mudd or they might compare Drexel to RIT and Purdue but they don't usually compare third tier state colleges to each other.

A New York resident will not see the value in going across the country to pay out of state tuition at the cost of $17,000. at ASU or $13,800 at SJSU plus at least $1,000 a year for travel, when they can pay $5,760 in state. It would be even more for an Arizona resident who would pay $4,900 in-state or $12,000 out of state at Stonybrook.

If I had to pick I would say that ASU is the best known of your three choices because it's a larger school. It also has an agreeable climate (Tempe campus) and is well priced.

Here are some sites that may help you: College Navigator - National Center for Education Statistics CollegeData: College Search, Financial Aid, College Application, College Scholarship, Student Loan, FAFSA Info, Common Application Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Old 02-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Default Cal Poly SLO?

What happened to Cal Poly/Cuesta? In another thread, you said you were going that route and even showed your reg status for Cuesta. What I would be concerned about is if you were admitted into the country on a Cuesta CC I-20 and you never enrolled but are now in the country...if you are not showing as enrolled at Cuesta, you are in violation of your student visa and this is reported. I only mention this because you said you are an international tranfer student. Be careful with this type of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatekix View Post
Which one would be worth to go?

I'm international transfer student seeking bachelor degree in computer science. I got 3.48 GPA. After evaluation is done, my GPA becomes 3.79.

I would like to have quality school ( with better internship opportunity. academic, and more prestigeous ).

I need help badly. Please help me. Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Yeh...i'm right now at cuesta college...but i was late to apply cal poly for fall 2009 admission..so yeh i have to transfer to other schools.I have now two options: ASU or SJSUIf i go to ASU, i could stay with my aunt and i could find some scholarship there.On the other hand, my major is computer science...so i think i could have better internship opportuniy at SJSU...and hopefully i could have higher chance of getting H1 Visa after graduating....I dun know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities