Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 01:18 PM

73 posts, read 305,782 times

Advertisements

Should I take the GMAT or the GRE?

I will be applying to Biz school and learned that there are a lot of schools that accept the GRE in lieu of the GMAT (Stanford and MIT among them). I am completely intimidted by the GMAT but feel comfortable with the GRE but I also feel as though I am limiting myself. Any perspective? Would my scores vary, in comparison, that much? Is the quantitative section on the GMAT much harder than the quantitative section of the GRE? Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 08:52 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,118,937 times
As you know the GMAT predicts how suitable a candidate is for a management related program, whereas the GRE does the same for grad school programs.

Here is something I pulled from my grad school experience and several web sites and it is not in my own words. (Univ of P and Penn State). Hey what about Temple? It is local and fantastic school if you so desire. My friend graduated from Drexel. My wife U of P...

The GMAT measures verbal, mathematical and analytical skills that the candidate has developed in education and at work.
The GRE measures the extent to which undergraduate education has developed a student's verbal and quantitative skills in abstract thinking.

What you should do?
The essential advice is to first ask the schools you are applying to which tests they will accept. Look closely at the GMAT and GRE tests and see how you feel about both of them. If you have taken the GRE and got a good score you can always ask the schools if they will consider it.
Remember, admissions look at the overall package and your test scores, essays, your background and your motivation. Applying for business school is not an overnight decision; it is a new start in your career, whether or not you are accepted.

My opinion is that if you are a female then go for GMAT. Your chance will increase due to that factor. If you are a foreign student and just OK in English then stay away from the GRE. If you are a male like I am then go for both and good luck...There are programs that will take you through practice exams and they may help you a lot.

The main phrase you should remember is that "Stay calm cool and collective. Never give up your fight to do what your heart desires....

Old 11-08-2009, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,349 times
Collective- really? You must have taken the GMAT not the GRE.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:32 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,631,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartalec29 View Post
Collective- really? You must have taken the GMAT not the GRE.
Or they're Borg...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities