Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 06:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,137 times

Advertisements

Ok so heres the deal:

I consider myself to be a pretty smart guy.
I had a really high gpa in school (over 4.00), graduated in the top 1% of my class (I was number 5 in the class), scored in the 98th percentile on my math and verbal sections of the SAT, 99th+ percentile for the writing portion (overall 98th percentile). I had tons of extra-curricular activity and volunteer work. I had tons of credits that would have (and did) transfer to college. I could have, quite literally, probably gotten into any college I wanted (Harvard for example).

But, I didn't. I stayed in-state. For several reasons:
  1. Cost
  2. Wanted to stay close to home
  3. At my high school, all admissions applications were to first be submitted to the high school, then sent off to the college. Unfortunately, NONE of my applications were sent off in time. (I could be flaming mad at that, but for some reason Im not) and;
  4. I think I was a little scared/timid about facing the challenges of a big name school. Afraid to be the little fish in a big pond I guess.
Needless to say, im at a decent school now, and im happy. I do like this school, and the environment/community. Im doing well here. Im in honors and I have a 4.0gpa, I have a scholarship. Im on track to graduating earlier than the traditional college student.

However, ever so often I feel like I should be at a better school. People tell me all the time that I should be at a better school. I know that this school, academically, is not really up to where a lot of people thought I should have attended.

One major concern is, no matter how well I do here, my success will always be conditioned: "Well, you did exceptional.....for a graduate of _______"
I feel like attending this school may limit my possibilities later in life, career-wise and academically.

One fear I have is that, no matter how well I do here, a graduate school may not take my application as serious as someone who has attended a better school.

So my question(s) is(are), if you were in my situation would you transfer?
Do you think that my current school could negatively impact my chances of getting into a good graduate school?
If I did consider a transfer to a better school, do you think it would more difficult for me because of the fact that this isn't the greatest of schools? Do transfer applications take into consideration your high school merit?

Sorry this was so long, but I really do want your opinions.
If you have any questions or need any more info from me just ask.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 06:35 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
So my question(s) is(are), if you were in my situation would you transfer?
Do you think that my current school could negatively impact my chances of getting into a good graduate school?
If I did consider a transfer to a better school, do you think it would more difficult for me because of the fact that this isn't the greatest of schools? Do transfer applications take into consideration your high school merit?
I would stay. There is no need to transfer if you like were you are at now. Despite what some people will tell you, you do not need to go to a top tier college to enter into a top tier grad school. That is just BS. So no, your state college will not negatively affect your chances of getting into a good graduate school.

As for the second paragraph, It doesn't matter what school you are coming from, you can transfer from anywhere into (almost) anywhere, especially if you have a 4.0.

Transfer students generally do not need to show high school grades/stats if they have two or more semesters of college under their belt, but some will still ask if less then five years have passed since you graduated high school. A few schools will ask for your high school record even if you graduated 20 years ago. However, if you do decide to transfer, I would strongly suggest that you include your high school record, even if they do not request a copy. It is too impressive to leave out, and, transfer admissions to most top tier schools are generally more competitive than regular admissions because fewer spots are available to transfer students (at most colleges, transfer students are admitted to fill in the gaps left open by admitted freshmen who have decided to go somewhere else and those who dropped out).

Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the response and all of the information you provided.

I am happy here. And thats why this decision is so hard.

Im happy here as far as socially. I love the people here, and this city. Its a great city and area. I like the urban feel. Im a city dweller. Very urban kinda edgy guy. I like going to rock and alternative and hip hop concerts. I like working in the garage on a Sat. afternoon getting my hands dirty or just playing basketball in the park.

But at the same time, academically, sometimes im NOT happy. I really want to go somewhere that is not only going to challenge me, but also where there will be other students who will be on my level (or above) intellectually.

The one problem I think I would have going to a better school is Im not sure I would fit in (not that "fitting in" is of the utmost importance to me). Im not your typical "smart guy" I would say. I don't dress or act or look like your typical bookworm. I know that these upper-tier schools aren't always as stuffy as they appear in television shows and movies, but I just don't see that as "my crowd"

I feel like I don't fit in here academically.
And socially, I wouldn't fit in there.
Thats why this is such a hard choice.

Ah, who knows, im still young. I have time to make these decisions.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:22 PM

960 posts, read 1,163,018 times
Quote:
One major concern is, no matter how well I do here, my success will always be conditioned: "Well, you did exceptional.....for a graduate of _______"
I feel like attending this school may limit my possibilities later in life, career-wise and academically.
It might limit you, if you were competing against other Ivy-league graduates on the track to CEO of a big company, with all the backstabbing that entails. However, in my field (software development), what college someone went to (if any!) is rarely mentioned, and when it is, I doubt anyone I know would think any particular accredited school is inferior. It would be especially childish a year or two into one's career, when 80% or more of what you're doing was learned on the job.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:08 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
You say that you are on track to graduate early, if you transfer, you might tack on another semester or two or you might have to wait a year depending on how soon you transfer. Or, you just might end up graduating on time.

You also have a scholarship. Depending on where this scholarship is from, it may or may not transfer with you and scholarships for transfer students are slim pickings.

I can understand wanting to go to a more 'challenging' school, however, you might be better off just staying where you are. Graduating early and the scholarship are two huge advantages that you have going for you (not to mention the 4.0 in honors). If you keep up the GPA, graduate with honors, and do well on the GRE you will be in an excellent position for a good grad school.

I say to enjoy your success now, and leave the rigorous curriculum for grad school.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
The bottom line is that people who are comparable academically and intellectually to those at top schools can become successful without attending said top schools.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks again to everyone who responded. I really appreciate it!

Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM

414 posts, read 1,009,849 times
Well I transferred from a very well known university (OSU) to a small university in my hometown. While it was better for my degree and what I wanted to do...it added another semester to my college career, which is frustrating.

I personally would stay. MOST companies are going to look at your experience in your field of expertise and reccomendations. Actually, the small university I attend has a much better reputation for producing quality teachers than some larger schools. Don't doubt yourself. You can always go to grad school at someplace more "prestigious".

Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:

One fear I have is that, no matter how well I do here, a graduate school may not take my application as serious as someone who has attended a better school.

I have never had anyone say that to me (industry, military, education).
To the second about grad school: maybe.
But, I would ask myself "Do I have to go to grad school right away?"

I assume you're at a state school. State schools do have a generally good reputation. Having said that, you do have the old schoolmate/fraternity connection in a lot of places. Hard to fight that. Ask anyone who's become a military officer through OCS compared to an Academy graduate.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
If an honors program isn't challenging you, maybe go directly to a couple of professors in your major and ask about independent study options. A lot of professors at the lower tier schools are thrilled when they get a good student who is really engaged in the learning process and will bend over backwards to help you find a more rigorous program of study.

I'd also look into a semester abroad or junior year abroad program if you can swing it financially. Taking a 300 level history classes in Spanish instead of English can add another level of challenge to things. A semester spent at a place like the London School of Economics would be an academic test in one of the world's great urban environments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities