Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:29 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,380,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
On both issues

I agree 100%

The ground students drop for the same reasons the on-line students drop.--I listed them previously. I won't go into my last job with them but EVERY job at UOP is somehow tied into keeping the students on the books. Did you know that UOP recieves more FEDERAL aid than any college in the US? They have 3 million students on the 'books". If they can show the students are enrolled then they get more money for loans. Trust me I have seen a lot of FRAUD with my own eyes.
This is really sad. I think it is stealing an opportunity for education from a lot of young people...sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 04:10 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,170,488 times
I'm enjoying Ashford University Online. The enrollment adviser was very knowledgable, I was approved for financial aid in less than 3 weeks through FAFSA, and I am enjoying my classes very much.

I'm finishing my degree in less than a year, you take one class at a time, every 5 weeks. I transferred 83 credits and they are waving most of my core classes I struggled with at a traditional university. Double Bonus.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,380,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
I'm enjoying Ashford University Online. The enrollment adviser was very knowledgable, I was approved for financial aid in less than 3 weeks through FAFSA, and I am enjoying my classes very much.

I'm finishing my degree in less than a year, you take one class at a time, every 5 weeks. I transferred 83 credits and they are waving most of my core classes I struggled with at a traditional university. Double Bonus.
Keep Going!!!! You've almost made it. A college degree is a significant achievement--good for you!!!! ....and ATTA BOY!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 5,786 times
I have a Masters from UOP, I work for local county government in Atlanta, I have not had any problems. The UOP alumni is so large there are members in almost all segments of employment. I have many friends in education that are getting their graduate degrees from UOP. I graduated from a state university for my undergraduate degree, and I am equally proud of both schools.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:57 PM

7 posts, read 11,264 times
This is form a UOP Graduate.

It is not for everyone, I would recommend, the students considering UOP, are already working professionals that need a degree to put them over the edge (like to management).

Atleast that is what it has done for me and other people I know.

My opinion is, if you are going for your AA, do not do it. It is Way too expensive. You are better off going to a CC or a online college like Azusa.

If you already have a AA, then obtaining your bachelors for a working professional or someone who has a family and not alot of time, then UOP is perfect. I finished in 2 years, owed another 30k, but the 20k increase I recieved and title I wanted was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
I am a graduate of the University of Phoenix. I did not attend the online variation though, I attend a ground campus.

There are some websites stating negative things about the school, but there are also websites praising it. I'm not about to get into an argument as to who is right or wrong, I will only give you my thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

I had a pretty positive experience at the school. I was able to transfer some credits in from a couple of semesters I had taken a few years before. Also, I took as many CLEP tests as possible and through both transfer credits and CLEP tests, I was able to eliminate a good majority of my general education credits.

My general experience at the school was positive. They are expensive, and I know the online version is even more expensive. At the time, my schedule was very limited and they were the school offering the degree program I wanted at the times I was able to attend classes. I didn't want an online school and felt I needed the classroom experience to help me learn. I enjoyed most of my classes, but like any school, you're going to run into a few dull or especially difficult classes.

The classes have few, if any, written tests. You had better enjoy writing though, as the great majority of work in the classes is writing papers. On average, you'll have to write anywhere from 3 to 6 papers for a five week class. It's a lot of research and writing.

As for HR departments laughing at the degree, I have never run across that at all. Personal opinions vary with each person you talk to, so while I'm sure there are some people who balk at a degree from UOP, but I'm sure there are other who balk at other colleges that they have low opinions of as well. I have never had a problem getting a job with my UOP degree. I've never been questioned about it, nor has any HR person every commented, snickered, or laughed at my degree. Although, I'm guessing they wouldn't do it to my face...even so, I've never even gotten the feeling that someone was doing that behind my back.

In my experience going there, and by the way they keep raising prices, I do feel that UOP is a little more profit centered than I'd like them to be. Then again, they are a For Profit University, not a state school, so they ARE actually trying to turn a profit. Almost everything out there about them in a negative light usually revolves around them trying to turn a profit.

In the end, I enjoyed my experience there. I'm not going to necessarily recommend anyone go there, look into it and figure out what works best for you, there are lots of options out there. I wouldn't recommend against anyone going either. As I said, my experience there was mostly positive.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 09-12-2016, 01:06 PM

What you said is true, but i would like to add to it.

UoP is probably best for working adults, if you are straight out of high school or in early 20's, then going to a CC or CalState makes more sense.

Also, since I do understand the "quality of education" I need everyone to know this:

Most companies put so much emphasis on Degrees to move up, that you cant get into supervisor role or management without a degree, even if you are in your late 30's with much experience (like me)

so, obtaining a "easy degree' is sometiems the best route. Its all HR wants to see.

Someone said "HR LAUGHS AT IT"
well, I have worked at two (2) fortune 100 companies, and no one has ever laughed. All I have gotten is 100k+ salaries for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goi_cuon View Post
Your local community college and your local state university are probably offering plenty of online courses. There is nothing wrong with online study in and of itself.

The UoP has the same kind of regional accreditation that your local community college and state university have - perhaps even from the SAME accrediting agency if you are in the area covered by the North Central Association.

That said, I say "beware of a school with a profit motive." Why? As far as I am concerned, there is an inherent conflict of interest between making money and providing education. The UoP is like any other business: its ultimate loyalty is to its stockholders. YourState U is a non-profit organization; it puts feathers in its cap by accepting students who are qualified (as evidenced by its graduation rates) and its scholarly production (superstar professors, etc).

I am a librarian. I worked as a college librarian for six years. I worked in a different for-profit college very briefly, then at a private liberal arts college for the last five years. I left that for-profit college because I was sickened by the quality of education that they were providing for an exorbitant cost.

If you need the flexibility of online classes, look into your local "bricks and mortar" colleges and universities - they are probably offering online degree programs and they don't have a profit motivation.

There is more expert help to be had at DegreeDiscussion.com • Index page and DegreeInfo Distance Learning Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin.

Good luck and best wishes to you!

Old 09-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You mention the average for all universities...what about online colleges? I would think overall those numbers would be lower due to the ease of getting in (and out).

And University of Phoenix is accredited by the ACBSP, just not the AACSB.
It really baffles me that people like to post information that is not true.

i dont understand it. its almost like they have a dog in this 'fight'.

Everyone; if your degree is accredited, then you are good!

Old 09-12-2016, 04:20 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,534,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris3323 View Post
It really baffles me that people like to post information that is not true.

i dont understand it. its almost like they have a dog in this 'fight'.

Everyone; if your degree is accredited, then you are good!
Sorry, but no. UoP's business school is NOT AACSB accredited, which is pretty much the standard. I am in an accounting Masters program through my state university. My classes are all online and it is about half the cost of UoP's program. I don't know why anyone would choose to pay more for an inferior product, especially today when there are so many legitimate online programs.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:12 AM

27 posts, read 110,639 times
I've known enough people who've gone through the University of Phoenix and taught for them that I'm okay with their quality of education, but there's nothing that they offer that cannot be done at other schools that are just as good for one third the cost.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:20 AM

50,195 posts, read 35,890,986 times
Good docementary on PBS last night on these rip-off mills:
WATCH: At For-Profit Colleges, Large Loans and Broken Promises | A Subprime Education | FRONTLINE | PBS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities