Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 AM

21 posts, read 90,613 times

Advertisements

....and have no idea what else to do?

I have always loved school and have always been good at it. I was a national merit scholar, graduated summa *** laude from USC, and published an honors thesis as an undergrad. Teachers love me, tests have always been games, and essays fulfill me. I basically live for school. Grades validate me. Abstract academia and research are my friends.

And now I'm a year out of undergrad and working on a ranch. As much as I love it, I realize that I can't be a career wrangler for the rest of my life. But like many liberal arts majors, I'm lost as what to do next.

Let's pretend grad school is financially feasible.

Is it a good option for people who just happen to really like school? Or is it mostly meant as a tool for people who want to pursue a career?

Basically, I'm smart, love school, have no clue what to do... should I suck it up and get a job in corporate America or spend another big chunk of money to get another degree to add to the wall just because I like the recognition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:56 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
My personal opinion is anyone pursuing a liberal arts undergrad degree should seriously consider graduate school without a break - just keep going. That is not going to work for you, obviously, but I think it might be the best way to retain some value of your undergrad degree.

It just seems to me that there are lots of undergrad degrees that really need the benefit of additional education (whether its an MA/MS, or MBA, or MPA, or law/dental/med school). There are plenty that are OK on their own as well.

I would just give long, serious thought to what to get a grad degree in. I should have done grad school before I had kids. I plan on going next yr and it would have been easier 10 yrs ago.

Why don't you think about getting a PhD and staying in academia? It could be a great fit for you.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM

272 posts, read 730,298 times
I agree that you should do it. If finances allow I would say go for the PhD.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
If another degree will overqualify for your field, forget it, get a job and go back. What are you planning to do? If you don't have a clue and just do a Masters, then what are you doing it in?

I got my BSEd, went to work teaching, and then did 2 Masters in different fields parttime when I was teaching. Friends who went and did the Masters first discovered they were overqualified and shoved out of the job market due to the fact they'd have to be paid more with the masters (it was in the late 60s/early 70s, for BSEd and MSEd and MA)

Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
That's basically how I am.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:56 AM

367 posts, read 1,023,851 times
i start back in the fall. i'm 30 credits shy of a bachelor's degree and will then work on master's in history. phD is not out of the question. I think i'd like teaching or if nothing else, research and continue writing novels while i teach.
there's nothing wrong with going to get a master's. it can only help you in life

Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Nothing wrong with it, but I'd look into a PhD program if one of your main reasons is that you love school. Several reasons: #1 It's longer (more time in school), #2 it can be easier to get grants/assistanships/scholarships to help with the cost, and #3 with a PhD you could just work in academia and never leave school.

What degree are you interested in? You mentioned liberal arts, but what specifically?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,322 times
Quote:
Friends who went and did the Masters first discovered they were overqualified and shoved out of the job market due to the fact they'd have to be paid more with the masters (it was in the late 60s/early 70s, for BSEd and MSEd and MA)
It's a different story today.... Today, BS/BA is = HS diploma...

Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM

542 posts, read 1,449,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes999 View Post
....and have no idea what else to do?

I have always loved school and have always been good at it. I was a national merit scholar, graduated summa *** laude from USC, and published an honors thesis as an undergrad. Teachers love me, tests have always been games, and essays fulfill me. I basically live for school. Grades validate me. Abstract academia and research are my friends.

And now I'm a year out of undergrad and working on a ranch. As much as I love it, I realize that I can't be a career wrangler for the rest of my life. But like many liberal arts majors, I'm lost as what to do next.

Let's pretend grad school is financially feasible.

Is it a good option for people who just happen to really like school? Or is it mostly meant as a tool for people who want to pursue a career?

Basically, I'm smart, love school, have no clue what to do... should I suck it up and get a job in corporate America or spend another big chunk of money to get another degree to add to the wall just because I like the recognition?

if it's not a financial problem go for it. i suggest persuing a career as a university/college professor. that way you can continue to learn and have free time to still take classes, get paid wel etc. if i was a great student that is something i would love to persue.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
In today's job market? Go for it.

My daughter is staying on for the PhD. She really found her "home" in academia. She loves it and will probably continue on through post-doc and possibly teaching. I do not find anything wrong with learning for the sake of learning.

Good luck and best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities