Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:45 PM

67 posts, read 638,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Help! My daughter has completed 1 1/2 yrs. of college and has now taken a semester off becasue she is becoming discouraged because she doesn't have a clue what she wants to do or what she wants to study. She has had some of the strangest classes so far which hasn't helped.
We live in a somewhat rural area of Pa. and opportunities are very limited. This also compounds the problem. Neither my husband or I went to college, so we are not full of ideas. Her advisor in school hasn't been much help. What she really needs t do is spend a day with someone in a profession. Where would I find out more about that?
Any suggestions?
I know the Wayne Highland School District has a Job Shadowing program in the mid to late Fall. I am currently in Honesdale High School and live in Honesdale. If you talk to a school councilor they might be able to setup a Job Shadowing Day over the summer.
Just a thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 04:23 AM

133 posts, read 628,164 times
Default Look inward and for interests....

It took me a long time to decide what to do when I was in college. I changed my major 6 times! I finally ended up with an education degree because I loved working with childred and I loved making things. The projects that involved creativity and art made me the most enthusiastic throughout my college years. What I didn't realize until I was 35 years old, was that I should have gone for an art degree from the beginning. As a child I was always drawing, creating, and making things. Unfortunately, I never had an art teacher or an adult that pushed me in the direction of art. Even though I was an effective teacher and enjoyed my career I have now quit teaching and am drawing and painting, etc. Funny enough, my main interest is in childen's portraits! I guess what I am saying is that everyone should pay attention to the things they enjoy doing and go from there. Had I listened to myself, I may have been an artist earlier! (Or, possibly, I am now good at drawing and painting children because I know them so well!) Have your child really think about her talents and interests and then see what direction that can take.... If you truly love it, you can be happy with it, and therefore successful!

Old 06-01-2007, 09:01 AM

3,252 posts, read 9,157,899 times
I took 9 years to get thru college and ended up in the military to get experience.

Now, I am a SAHW (was a SAHM but they've flown the nest).

When it was time for my dd to attend college, she ended up at Community College wasn't sure what she wanted to do. She found a full time job and wanted to quit. We let her with the understanding that while working full time, she paid her way at home. If she went back to school, we would pick up the bills again but only if it was less than a year after she quit.

She ended up moving back to where her grandparents live, can well afford to go back to college. She still hasn't gone back, is now starting her own restaurant. And her life experience she has gained is far more valuable to her.

A vast majority of people benefit from a college degree, but there are still a few people who do very well without one.

Both my dd and I took the version of the Career Assessment Tests offered at the time we were in college (me in the 70's and my dd just a few years ago). And it didn't lead us to what either of us ended up doing. A good friend of mine took it and found what she was best at for her college/master's degree. Liz

Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 PM

86 posts, read 375,970 times
I know that this is difficult, but it is not uncommon. Many of my friends changed their majors 3 or 4 times before graduating. And honestly, I wish more people had the guts to know when to take a break. I think sometimes it makes people appreciate what they want more, instead of getting a degree in something they hate... My dad didn't graduate from college when he was 22...it wasn't for him at the time, but he found what he loved and got good training, had great jobs, and finally completed his Bachelors at the age of 36. It doesn't have to work the same for everyone... just hope that at some point she is doing what she loves to do!!

Old 06-14-2007, 08:16 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,223,728 times
It's not preferable, but my older son took SIX YEARS to finish undergrad and ended up with a triple major and triple minor. Basically, we paid for the first four years. He still didn't know what he wanted to be but had gone from a business degree to political science and was much happier when he started his fifth year pursuing what he wanted. By the time he ended that year, he was only a few hours shy of getting the triple major, so he went back and basically screwed off for a year - but that was the year it clicked for him (at 25) that he wanted to practice law. He went on to Michigan and graduated *** laude and is probably making less money than he could have just holding a city or state government job and having entered the work force 3 years ago - but he is happy and productive (although we are all mortgaged to the hilt for his education!) Younger son tried one semester and said he was wasting his time and our money - he's a credit card fraud investigator now, loves his work, and at 27 will start undergrad in the fall. It just took him some time to find his spot in the sun. Your child will too - and best of luck to you and to her!

HAHAHA!!! Well, he graduated in the upper tier of his class, how's that???

Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-14-2007 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: Amusement

Old 06-14-2007, 10:53 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,738,175 times
Thanks to all for all your replies...We are still searching...Who knows what lies ahead for this September. She says she is going back to college...but I'm waiting for her to make the move. I do nag her quite often, but it doesn't seem to be doing any good I just want her to call her advisor and get back in for Sept., this will be the last semester that I pay for with poor grades. If she does well, I will continue to pay, through loans up the ying yang of course!

Old 06-14-2007, 12:05 PM

3,252 posts, read 9,157,899 times
Quote:
My dad didn't graduate from college when he was 22...it wasn't for him at the time, but he found what he loved and got good training, had great jobs, and finally completed his Bachelors at the age of 36.
Good for your dad.

My daddy got his BS when he was 29. (I was 3) Went back after a stint in the military. Got his masters at the age of 72. He's almost 80 now (next Jan).

His dad paid for only the first year...once he quit and went into the military, he was on his own. Liz

Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,881,403 times
Sitting around won't help her, and neither will useless institutional counselors. It sounds like money may be somewhat of an issue, but I think she needs to travel and SEE opportunities.

My brother was at Penn State for one year, didn't like it (Big Ten schools are not for everyone), and is now back home in metro Detroit, taking classes at a local business college and struggling with accounting. He will probably end up graduating with a marketing degree. The problem is that a local college gives you a local view, and the local view in Michigan/Ohio/Indiana, and western Pennsylvania, isn't very wide or optimistic.

I was taken to a young age at a tour of Detroit ghettos, complete with flaming cars in the middle of the street. I've also seen boring, safe, and stagnant rural Pennsylvania (we have God-fearing, Chrysler-driving relatives near State College/Altoona). I've seen a lot more, too. I dislike suburbia and corporate work, and thankfully have only had to deal with a few months of it before I got into grad school.

I think your child needs to dream, but also needs to see some reality.
Right now, there may not be a lot clicking in there.

Job shadowing might work, but if I had done that in high school, I would watch some old geezer do CAD work on automotive interiors (my aunt currently does this, puts in long hours, gets good pay to afford toys, etc).
The problem, of course, is that automotive mechanical engineering and design is a declining sector, especially in the Midwest, except for a few foreign firms that are very choosy about who they hire and why.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:46 PM

739 posts, read 825,740 times
First, tell her to take an aptitude test administered by her placement office. Second, if she is interested in a particular field, now is the time to try to line up Summer internships for next year. Often when you work in a business you get a feel for the job opportunities asd well as whether the work really excites you. Most of all, don't stress out about it. Most grown-ups don't really have a clue what they would like to do with their lives either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities