Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 PM

69 posts, read 268,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
You are fully aware that that means the school's course isn't considered competitive or even "on par" with what should be taught to college students, correct?
He landed a job as a Systems Analyst even before graduating from ITT with good pay that would also pay his student loan.

People go to school to get a job that will pay all the bills plus some... He got all that.

Is that a bad deal?

Definitely not a bad deal for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapael71 View Post
I will graduate from ITT Tech's online program in Dec 2012 with a bachelor's in Criminal Justice/Cyber Security. I landed a job as a Systems Analyst with Xerox Corp this past March, and I just completed an interview with The Center for Internet Security. I should hear from them by this coming Friday. They just completed a background screening and checked my references, so it is a high probability that I may get the job.

ITT is a bit expensive, but I have no regrets and I make enough money to pay my student loans and still live comfortably. It's all about the effort you put into your future and job searches. I currently have a 3.75 GPA and ITT served its purpose for me. I am really disturbed by all the negative comments about ITT, especially from people who have never attended...what could you possibly know about the school except what you heard?? Maybe the folks who attended the school and have bad things to say didn't take full advantage of what the school offers.

The only negative thing I can say is that the accredidation may not allow a student to pursue a master's at a regionally accredited school, however, there are other master's programs that are nationally accredited (and accept ITT's credits) that one can pursue. I am personally considering Capella, Univ. of Phoenix, Walden Univ., Keller Graduate School, and Kaplan Univ for my Master's in Info Technology.
OK....Found this thread via Google searches involving ITT Tech and I had to ****ing register to say something here.

I'd like to point out something that nobody seems to have noticed yet: EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO DEFENDED ITT TECH IN THIS THREAD has a post-count of 1 or 2.

Additionally, these are ****VERY CLEARLY**** all ITT Tech employees. Every post in the thread that supports ITT tech reads almost the same, and repeats the same talking points.

--ITT is a "bit expensive," but you "pay for what you get." A very roundabout statement. Notice the precise wording used: "bit' has no definitive definition. A "bit" could be $2,000 or, in the case of ITT tech, $40,000. "You pay for what you get" is a statement designed to make the reader THINK that spending more money means getting more out of it, while at the same time makes no definitive statement quantifying this supposed "value for your dollars"

--Credits "MAY NOT transfer to real colleges." Another highly misleading statement, just like everything you see in their commercials. A more accurate statement would be "credits WILL NOT transfer" to real colleges.

--ITT Tech likes to play the "blame game" and this, too, has been made clearly evident in this thread. All posts supporting ITT tech are quick to point out that if someone graduates from ITT Tech and fails to get a good job it's "their fault and they must have not have given their all" while attending the school.

And last but not least -- you're paying roughly $50,000 for a degree you could otherwise get for under $10,000 at a community college. And what's more the community college credits WILL transfer to just about any school.

Just quickly ask yourself: WHY does ITT Tech charge $50,000 for a CNA degree? $50,000 to become a CERTIFIED NURSES ASSISTANT. Firstly, many hospitals here in NY will allow you to become a certified CNA directly through them, via on-the-job training. Secondly, you could spend under $10,000 at a local community college and actually become a NURSE not just a nurse's assistant.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 5,468 times
Several years ago, I decided I wanted to go back to school. I was 27ish at the time. I had always heard about ITT-tech but never looked into it. I was a "college idiot", in that I had no idea what college was about, how it worked, or anything. I assumed ITT-tech was a great school because I heard ads about it ALL the time.

So one day I submitted an online application for the ITT school in my area. Within hours, someone from the school called me back, I was impressed! They asked me what degree I wanted to pursue, and we went from there.

Within minutes, they had me signed up for classes starting a few weeks, my student loans were taken care of ($40k worth), my books were ordered, and all I had to do was give an over the phone signature. -wow- that was easy!

After getting off the phone, my intuition kicked and said "something isn't right here, that was way to easy". I called a friend of mine who went to University of Washington in Seattle, and asked him how hard it was to get into the school, long story short.. "easy" was never used.

I called ITT to try and cancel my enrollment, and was met with an almost desperate response from the customer service rep. I felt like I was trying to cancel AOL.... lol. Eventually they dis-enrolled me, and I continued on with my life. I forgot about school for the next few years.

Eventually, I decided it was finally time to go back to school. I did my homework this time. I started at a community college. I noticed that it was a lot harder to get in that the experience I had with ITT previously (not that CCs are hard to get into, but it wasn't as simple as a 5 min phone call..). It was then that I realized ITT was just a scam to get money. I was appalled that the school cost $40,000, RIDICULOUS! I was able to go to CC for damn near free with my military benefits and school offered grants. ITT never even asked if I had military benefits to use, nor did they attempt to get my any pell grant money. It was all Student loans (and half of them were private loans, not the unsubsidized stafford loans)

Once I finished at the CC, I transferred to UC Berkeley. What a freaking process that was. I had to apply a YEAR in advance, have recommendations from professors, a damn good personal statement, and a whole lot of praying to get in. ITT tech just let me in because I wanted to go, there was no testing, no essay, just "sign on the dotted line".

ITT-tech said I could get a degree in "engineering technology" , I thought that meant "engineering", no no no.. it means your a glorified tech. You are not going to learn quantum mechanics, or device physics at ITT -tech. You won't take math past basic calculus, and you certainly will never deal with the Maxwell or Schrodinger time dependent differential equations that model today's electrical technology.

ITT-may not be a "scam", as they DO provide you with an education.. however, Its just an over-hyped education that only serves to get your foot in the door. Even getting a masters in Electrical Engineering from UC-Berkeley, which took me 6 years after transferring from the CC, I still have less than 40k in student loans. (and they are of the subsidized type)

Ill put it another way...

If you want a job at a 2nd rate tech company, doing 2nd rate work, itt tech is great. If you want to work at a large company, like verizon, intel, or google, you MIGHT get a tech support job with them through ITT, you MIGHT...

But ask yourself this, the people who are leading the industry at apple, intel, google, amazon.. etc. Do you think those people have ITT tech degrees, or any "for profit" school degrees? No.. they all went to places like Berkeley, Stanford, MIT, Cal-tech... etc. There are no "University of Phoenix" or ITT-Tech" grads running these multi-billion dollar corporations.

If you want to be an average payed technician, at an average company, go to itt tech, if you want to earn a huge salary and be a part of industry changing innovation, go to a real school.

just my $.02

-UC Berkeley Alumni
Department of computer and Electrical Engineering
BS/MS

Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM

410 posts, read 398,395 times
Wonderful post and kudos to you for trusting your intuition and doing the leg-work to detect a scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serinety View Post
If you want to be an average payed technician, at an average company, go to itt tech, if you want to earn a huge salary and be a part of industry changing innovation, go to a real school.
Even if someone is perfectly fine with working as an average technician at an average company, I still wouldn't advise him/her to go to ITT tech (or any other for-profit school) for the following reasons:

Firstly, even if a company is "average", they still wouldn't knowingly hire students from an average institution.
Not even an ugly guy wants an ugly girl ( and vice versa ).

Secondly, when the economy contracts, competition for jobs increases.
And, all else being equal, no one will hire an IIT grad over a traditional grad.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,851 times
Just Google the words "for-profit college scam investigation" and see what pops up. I'll put it this way: if the "college (and I use that term loosely)" is heavily advertised (think daytime TV commercials), then you should probably avoid going there. For-profit colleges are NOT the same as public/state/community colleges; don't slip up and get got!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:13 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
ITT is a for-profit institution, is it not?

I'm not certain, but one way or another, I'd stay far away from any school whose primary goal is to make money, and not to educate.
The primary goal of all schools is to make money. $50,000 degrees? It doesn't matter if it's Yale or a community college or a trade school... It's all about profit. Even if you're a stellar student, if you fail to be able to pay your tuition at any school, see what happens.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Ok now this is a shame. The government should really step in and regulate this type of thing. "College degrees" should only be allowed to be offered by properly accredited institutions. If we put the same stringent practice requirements on physicians, dentists and lawyers...then we should do the same with colleges.
Yes, I don't care if it's a 'traditional' school, an online university, or a trade school... it must be accredited. If it's not, then it should be shut down.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
The primary goal of all schools is to make money. $50,000 degrees? It doesn't matter if it's Yale or a community college or a trade school... It's all about profit. Even if you're a stellar student, if you fail to be able to pay your tuition at any school, see what happens.
What about the Ivy league school that no longr charges tuition? I cannot remember which one, but one of them has no tuition, endowments pay for everything. It is just a question of getting admitted.

IF universities are only about profit making, why do so many offer fully funded PhD programs and even masters programs? Why do they pay students to be RAs when the same students woudl do the work for free, or probably even pay to do the work so they can obtain so valuable experience.

While I am not tuting universities as fabulous charitable organizations, the much touted consipiracy theories and/or universities are evil greedy profit hungry corporations are a bit absurd - well maybe a lot absurd.

Of course if you agree to pay tuition, you need to pay tuition. did you think professors work for free? How did you think they eat? Are the janitors free? Electricity?

Many colleges and universities are non-profits. THat means they cannot make a profit. Professors certainly are not over paid. Most could make more working int he private sector. However most universities do waste a ridiculous amunt of money on redundant adminstration, or on stupid "feel good" programs.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,290 times
My daughter obtained her CJ degree there. It's the worst decision she ever made. In a couple of words...overwhelming debt. This is my child who always did everything right; she never gave us a moments trouble. The person she is now scares me. She makes 11 dollars an hour in a go nowhere job, she cannot move out because she can't afford to and she has zero self esteem now. She says going to ITT was the worst mistake she ever made. She waited to get married because she wanted to concentrate on her studies, now she doesn't feel she can enter into a marriage with such debt...although the mature decision-she's crushed. Due to depression, she has gained weight, she cries a lot and she is starting to have elevated blood pressure. No surprise...no insurance. I borrowed on my retirement and was able to pay about a third of it off but that still leaves about 50000 to go. Her 69 year old father will not retire this year either...we struggle too and it kills us that we can't help her more. I miss my bright, witty and vibrant daughter. I lay the blame at ITT Techs feet.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisappointedMom View Post
My daughter obtained her CJ degree there. It's the worst decision she ever made. In a couple of words...overwhelming debt. This is my child who always did everything right; she never gave us a moments trouble. The person she is now scares me. She makes 11 dollars an hour in a go nowhere job, she cannot move out because she can't afford to and she has zero self esteem now. She says going to ITT was the worst mistake she ever made. She waited to get married because she wanted to concentrate on her studies, now she doesn't feel she can enter into a marriage with such debt...although the mature decision-she's crushed. Due to depression, she has gained weight, she cries a lot and she is starting to have elevated blood pressure. No surprise...no insurance. I borrowed on my retirement and was able to pay about a third of it off but that still leaves about 50000 to go. Her 69 year old father will not retire this year either...we struggle too and it kills us that we can't help her more. I miss my bright, witty and vibrant daughter. I lay the blame at ITT Techs feet.
Oh dear lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities