Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:23 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times

Advertisements

I can attest, as an IT business owner, that I would and will not hire anyone who has attended or graduated from ITT. There are other schools that fall into the same category, but that was not the original question.

The only exception that I will make to that rule is if the student and/or candidate is one, sufficently motivated and hungry to learn and absorb the material covered in class and, secondly, if they have worked on non-school projects to enhance their learning experience and skillset.

Sadly, the majority of today's students want to be handfed, they don't want to read, and essentially want the easiest way out. If you want to succeed, then you have to do the work.

Schools such as ITT are also to blame, because they will take anyone with a pulse and the ability to get a loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 8,708 times
You all need to quit your stupid wasteless complaining. Nobody put a gun to your head and told you to sign the student load form. Also the economy sucks period. Especially since most of the IT jobs are being outsourced to INDIA. As far as ITT or any technical college, I know alot of people who graduated from Major Universities, or Community colleges, that are living with mom and dad, and are working at the local grocery store. The problem is people these days are "FAT, STUPID, AND LAZY. They want something for nothing.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 7,765 times
Im surrently a student at ITT 2 yrs in on a 4 yr plan...I am a criminal justice major trying to get into the law enforcement field. I also must admit that i am a little more than just upset, i just realized tht the memphis police dept. and all other 7-8 suburbs ( bartlett,cordova,collierville,tunica etc etc...) will not and have never accepted a degree from ITT as being a "real" degree.and since nothing from this school will xfer I have to start all over, Im finishing the assoc. program then xferring to U of M.The turnover rate for the employees on this campus has to be off the chart.This is also very much a "pay,attend and get" school. As long as u pay and attend u get a piece of REALLY expensive piece of paper.Also I am not sure about other schools but i do know tht itt is traded openly on the NYSE. So maybe tht alone should tell u guys what they care about. So to sum this all up I have wasted 2 yrs and 35,000 dollars (roughly)...To any1 considering this place...dont do it!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 05:23 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphismike2929 View Post
Im surrently a student at ITT 2 yrs in on a 4 yr plan...I am a criminal justice major trying to get into the law enforcement field. I also must admit that i am a little more than just upset, i just realized tht the memphis police dept. and all other 7-8 suburbs ( bartlett,cordova,collierville,tunica etc etc...) will not and have never accepted a degree from ITT as being a "real" degree.and since nothing from this school will xfer I have to start all over, Im finishing the assoc. program then xferring to U of M.The turnover rate for the employees on this campus has to be off the chart.This is also very much a "pay,attend and get" school. As long as u pay and attend u get a piece of REALLY expensive piece of paper.Also I am not sure about other schools but i do know tht itt is traded openly on the NYSE. So maybe tht alone should tell u guys what they care about. So to sum this all up I have wasted 2 yrs and 35,000 dollars (roughly)...To any1 considering this place...dont do it!!!
Ok now this is a shame. The government should really step in and regulate this type of thing. "College degrees" should only be allowed to be offered by properly accredited institutions. If we put the same stringent practice requirements on physicians, dentists and lawyers...then we should do the same with colleges.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
I work with a couple guys who got their EE degree from ITT. They have a full Electrical Engineering title at the aerospace company I work at. I don't know their history, but I do know ITT grads do get hired.

That being said if I was looking at 4 years in front of me either way I'd attend a full university instead of a tech college.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 15,186 times
Default Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Instructor View Post
From a former ITT-Tech instructor (4.5 years in Houston) - the school is a scam that preys on stupid, uneducated (and uneducable) people for the $40,000 federal student loans that they obtain. The books are a joke, the cirriculum is written for morons (because only a moron would attend there) and the credits don't transfer.

How can a person who picks his/her nose in class; who doesn't bathe regularly; who can't read OR write expect to get a professional job earning sufficient income to pay off a $40,000 student loan?

To summarize: the school is a scam for suckers, the credits will NEVER transfer to a REAL university or college (DeVry doesn't count, stupid!), and only morons enroll.
You have to be as stupid as you sound

Old 02-26-2010, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 15,186 times
Default Itt-tech

I am currently attending Itt-Tech for Criminal Justice and I love it. The teachers and staff are great. Yea it is a little expensive but you pay for what you get. I have gone to a different college and they didn't offer half the help ITT does. This is a Technical school what do you think the future is going to need? There isn't going to be much need for a history major is there? For all the people that think this school isn't great is probally cause the school was to hard for them. I would recommend this school to any willing to learn and put in the work.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela1985 View Post
I am currently attending Itt-Tech for Criminal Justice and I love it. The teachers and staff are great. Yea it is a little expensive but you pay for what you get. I have gone to a different college and they didn't offer half the help ITT does. This is a Technical school what do you think the future is going to need? There isn't going to be much need for a history major is there? For all the people that think this school isn't great is probally cause the school was to hard for them. I would recommend this school to any willing to learn and put in the work.
Obviously this poster is someone who is working for ITT and making this up. Joined today just to post twice on this thread? Get real.

Coming from an elite technical university, I don't respect anyone who went to ITT, they couldn't make it into a real technical college. I like my toilet paper 2-ply, but an ITT diploma will suffice.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:11 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,377 times
I didn't go to ITT Tech, but I did go to another private for-profit technical school.

S-C-A-M. They just wanted my money and they barely taught us anything.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:13 PM

7 posts, read 38,310 times
If there is a way to cancel or transfer your loans, do it now! I have 2 degrees from ITT, 1999, 2010 (long story) and as I was ending this last quarter I sent my resume to 8 HR managers to get feedback 6 of them told to remove any mention of ITT from my resume, one of the remaining 2 told me I would need to get a "real degree to work in the field" and the last one said professional certifications would be better than any degree from ITT. I was amazed at the complete and total lack of professionalism, the instructors were not even aware of 80% of the software programs used in the industry and I spent most of my time teaching my classmates and even a few instructors how to use the software. The department Chair of the Construction Management program did not know how to prepare simple blueprints, or construction documents and has probably never step foot on a construction site. a complete joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities