Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why Would You Attend an Online University?
For Reasons of Cost 6 37.50%
For Reasons of Physical Convenience 13 81.25%
To Specialize More Easily 4 25.00%
To Finish Degree Earlier 4 25.00%
To Avoid Political Indoctrination 1 6.25%
To Avoid Social Atmosphere of Traditional U 1 6.25%
For Superior Quality Preparation/Treatment vs. Uni 2 12.50%
For Superior Quality Preparation/Treatment vs. JC 2 12.50%
Because all the above Overcomes Reputational Costs 2 12.50%
Because I Learn Better Online 2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:31 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,258,540 times

Advertisements

Hi, with the growth of online learning, the growing expense of traditional universities, and the deterioration of university standards, I am curious if students out there are considering online universities as viable alternatives to traditional universities. Also, since America's junior colleges are increasingly oversubscribed, I am curious whether online universities have also become alternatives to junior colleges.

Please check as many boxes as might apply.

Thanks ahead of time for your honesty.

S

Last edited by Sandpointian; 03-07-2009 at 12:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,832,272 times
I've taken online classes and frankly I think they are the future. They are great for lecture classes which is what most college classes are these days. You go to class, listen to the lecture, study and take the exam. You can do all that online these days. I've taken online classes at a community college and they are worth it.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:33 PM

17,997 posts, read 9,007,425 times
The only reasons I would attend a online university is because of costs and to earn my degree faster

Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 PM

My daughters take online classes (primary school level). They are four years ahead of their cohort with little extra work.

If I had a small group of students, I can teach four years of economics and finance in one year at a level superior to most majors at Ivy league schools.

Online courses have become increasingly scalable.

Stanford University just started an online high school.

I agree, I can easily see online universities transcend what we see today.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,131,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I've taken online classes and frankly I think they are the future. They are great for lecture classes which is what most college classes are these days. You go to class, listen to the lecture, study and take the exam. You can do all that online these days. I've taken online classes at a community college and they are worth it.
I agree with that IF you can see/hear the lecture on TV or the internet. I have taken online courses before with no lecture, you just have to read the book and study, and I prefer to have a lecture class because I tend to retain more if I hear a lecture on it as opposed to just reading the text.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,907,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
M
I can teach four years of economics and finance in one year at a level superior to most majors at Ivy league schools.

Thats where I stopped.

Anyone else?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:46 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,155,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Thats where I stopped.

Anyone else?
Agreed. It's a very bold statement to make, and ignorant.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 PM

157 posts, read 492,341 times
how come I don't see the option of "There is absolutely no reason one should attend such Online Universities."

not a good poll

Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 PM

Skip & K Luv,

How old are you guys? 25? You have a lot to learn.

Interesting that you would first dig up old posts. No matter, you probably know little about how economics is taught in the Ivy League...LOL...even if you are an economics student in an Ivy league school!

I'm not particularly politically correct, so let me enlighten you.

Economics is the most popular major in the Ivy League. It is the most popular because econ is made very accessible, watered down if you will. It is so for two primary reasons. One, US higher education is based on the consumer model. Difficulty is out, accessible is in. More majors means more faculty and higher paid faculty. In addition, a watered down economics is a great major to combine with another major for the double major or double degree (e.g. economics & math, econ & comp sci, econ & psych, econ & history). Do your due diligence. Compare the rigour of undergrad economics in the US versus what one finds at the better schools in Japan, China, Latin America or Europe. US curricula is econ lite.

Two, US higher education is based on the liberal arts model. This is why schools have a wide array of distribution requirements or general education courses. This is why American graduates are becoming a scarce commodity at the top technical programs in the world, including economics. This reality is one the world has known this for a while. I suggest you take a look at the face board of the Ph.D. program at any top 10 program. So you may want to do a bit of research before throwing around terms such as "ignorant" when it should be obvious to anyone in the field what the facts on the ground actually are.

Now the US does turn out some fantastic economists. A large number of these were physics or mathematics majors in college. Pure economics majors are hard to find at the top PhD programs, unless they have distinguished themselves along the way (a 4.0 is irrelevant).

Now to the statement, which you found "bold" and I found obvious. Re-read. The statement reads, "...to most majors." There are a small % of economics majors the US that are fantastic. They know enough take a more rigorous pathway through the econ major. They know to pursue the honours track, to do research, and to jack up their quants. They know that one is more likely to find a PhD in mathematics studying a PhD in economics than a US student who majored in econ as an undergrad. Again, just look across the pund for guidance.

Therefore, for the bulk of Ivy League students, my assertion holds. In fact, any recent professor of economics in a field that requires a wide array of tools in econ canmake the same assertion.

Open your eyes, guys. Instead of trying to be clever with juvenile quips, you might actually learn something... about the declining state of US education...perhaps about your own...

S
P.S. Zoo: Thanks for your input. This was an informal poll. Besides, if the aim was to get some sense of the nature of what interest there is, the poll design was sufficient in an online, message board poll...

Old 03-13-2009, 03:06 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,907,047 times
Oh geez sir, thank you so much for teaching me. You are so wise!

You typed all of that and did nothing to back up your statement.

Also, can you provide a link stating econ is the most popular major for ivy leaguers. I know two school that this is incorrect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities