Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Anyone who thinks they are too old to go back to college or start college is denying themselves a wonderful opportunity. You are going to age whether or not you go back to school so why not do it.

This is my third time "going back to college" and I love it. Once you get that Bachelors then anything after that is just major concentration classes.

Do not let age stand in your way. The mind never stops absorbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:25 AM

51 posts, read 170,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I am 47 and have thought about going back to college, but what stops me...Algebra, I went to Catholic School and never learned a stitch of it, I would never be able to do college level algebra. Isn't that a shame? You need it for just about every degree.
Yes, it is a shame. I've seen quite a few people who were strong in other subjects and would have been great professionals give up on college just because of college algebra. I don't know why anyone should have to give up on their dreams because a bunch of academics have decided to require a course most students will never need in the real world.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
Yes, it is a shame. I've seen quite a few people who were strong in other subjects and would have been great professionals give up on college just because of college algebra. I don't know why anyone should have to give up on their dreams because a bunch of academics have decided to require a course most students will never need in the real world.
I don't think algebra should stand in the way either, but I do think it should be learned. Something is going wrong along the way in high school for many. I imagine it is used at some level in most professions. How can data be graphed and understood without it?

Old 10-17-2009, 10:47 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
The difficult things about going to college when older are that the technological leap is often prohibitive, (b) the training they have had, even if in the same field, may not buy them much credit in the eyes of programs and often work against them and (c) older adults have to compete with younger grads on their turf. Continuing education is a much easier proposition.

The math, programming, computer applications backgrounds many fields now require are huge hurdles for many. Those that can overcome them still face age discrimination. However, if these hurdles are cleared successfully, I would imagine that such grads would attract support.

S.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:20 PM

51 posts, read 170,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't think algebra should stand in the way either, but I do think it should be learned. Something is going wrong along the way in high school for many. I imagine it is used at some level in most professions. How can data be graphed and understood without it?
You don't need college algebra to understand how to read data on a graph.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slendabrn38 View Post
You don't need college algebra to understand how to read data on a graph.
Well, if you want to get an exact intersection of where a slope deviates, and you don't have the software to do it for you, you're gonna have to use a couple of equations based on trend lines. I figure that would be useful in marketing or whatever business oriented field. It's simple algebra, but very useful.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
If someone can't pass a class as banal as "college algebra" (this class is not even offered at most universities, btw) then I would question whether they should be in college in the first place.

College algebra is a boring and dull class and all it consists of is memorizing and apply some rules. I would agree that it tends to be useless for many people though.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 PM

543 posts, read 1,227,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I don't think you're ever too old to learn. If someone has the desire to go to college they should - age should not even be a consideration.
I agree! I went back in 2004 part time. I have 82 credits and will have my BS in another year.
After that, I plan to go for a MS in psychology. (I am a young 54)
I have a couple older students in one of my psychology classes, one 59, and one in his 60's.
Do not listen to anyone that tells you not to go back to school if that is what you want.
Keep your dreams!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,337 times
Glad I found this thread! I have been wrestling w/ the urge to go back to school for years. I am a mother of 4 (21,14,6 & 2) and am tired of living in basic poverty due to a husband that has no ambition or self dicipline. My main problem is, I'm not sure WHAT I want to do. I really want to be an advocate for special needs children, due to all that we have experienced
since my 2 year old was born & diagnosed w/ cerebral palsy. I've thought about PT & OT, but just doesn't feel right for me.

I've been looking at various community colleges & the programs they offer, & have begun filling out my FAFSA & looking at what degrees may be marketable in today's market, etc. It's all pretty overwhelming,wish I knew what exactly I need/want to do! Easier said than done, as I have very little time to myself, w/ a special needs toddler.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM

543 posts, read 1,227,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Glad I found this thread! I have been wrestling w/ the urge to go back to school for years. I am a mother of 4 (21,14,6 & 2) and am tired of living in basic poverty due to a husband that has no ambition or self dicipline. My main problem is, I'm not sure WHAT I want to do. I really want to be an advocate for special needs children, due to all that we have experienced
since my 2 year old was born & diagnosed w/ cerebral palsy. I've thought about PT & OT, but just doesn't feel right for me.

I've been looking at various community colleges & the programs they offer, & have begun filling out my FAFSA & looking at what degrees may be marketable in today's market, etc. It's all pretty overwhelming,wish I knew what exactly I need/want to do! Easier said than done, as I have very little time to myself, w/ a special needs toddler.
It took me a while to decide what to do too. At first I thought about medical, then teaching, finally decided on psychology. I had thought about occupational therapy, there are a lot of jobs for that. But, I would love to be a school counselor or psychologist. What I am saying is just get started, you can decide after that. Take the basic courses first. What are your interests? You can take a Stong Interest Inventory to help you decide. You can take classes online as well if you have a problem with childcare. Good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities