U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 01:36 AM

38 posts, read 265,247 times

Advertisements

How old is TOO OLD to go to college? Is it worthwhile to go to college for a degree (BA) and seek employment if you are over 35? over 45? over 55?

Lots of variables to consider of course, but would this be foolish and a waste of money and/or time if the end result is a degree but no job offer. Or a job, but not for years and years as such, since the age would be advanced at the start of the new job.

Anyone with experience at college in these age groups? I know the old saying, "Education is wasted on the young." What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 05:33 AM

20,797 posts, read 32,208,948 times
My grandpa always wanted to attend college but the opportunity wasn't there until he retired, started taking a few classes and then discovered he loved it, ended up getting a double major, graduated with honors at age 68, continued to take classes until he was 85. It kept him busy, ended up traveling with college sponsored trips many, many times. You are never too old to learn.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 AM

2,813 posts, read 9,360,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouses View Post
How old is TOO OLD to go to college? Is it worthwhile to go to college for a degree (BA) and seek employment if you are over 35? over 45? over 55?

Lots of variables to consider of course, but would this be foolish and a waste of money and/or time if the end result is a degree but no job offer. Or a job, but not for years and years as such, since the age would be advanced at the start of the new job.

Anyone with experience at college in these age groups? I know the old saying, "Education is wasted on the young." What do you think?
I don't like college and I hated going to university. I do like to learn though, but I don't want to sit in a cavernous auditorium with 300 other people forced to listen to a pompous leftwing professor try to indoctrinate me.
I like concentrating on the work itself and for me that means from home, on my pc, at my pace, and I've heard great things and good feedback about The University of Phoenix. Age has nothing to do with it. Desire does.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:35 AM

63 posts, read 207,862 times
I love college! OF coarse I'm not a traditional student either. I had to pay for my own college,and worry about my husband that was in the military. I was lucky to go to college on base and pay a better rate. Now I finish in May 62 days and counting!! Plus my husband is now a civilian. I'm not much older than a traditional student though didn't have to take classes with 400+ people which was nice. I do know that my mom has a Dr. that is 63 and fresh out of medical school graduated with honors. I think anyone can go as long as they have the desire.

Cynthia

Old 03-22-2007, 09:43 AM

9,991 posts, read 11,200,805 times
Go and enjoy yourself. I don't think anyone felt that they learned anything sitting in an auditorium with several hundred students, but most smaller colleges have smaller classes. Take courses that you are interested in. Maybe only take one or two classes and join a study group. The students will probably be a lot younger than you, but you will have a great time and see another way of learning. If it leads to a job, great! If not, you will have met a new group of people and learned new info.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 AM

2,263 posts, read 3,681,477 times
When I graduated from college, the local news stations were there and they did a story on a 78-year old who was graduating, along with her grandson. I thought it was a beautiful story. You're never too old to go to college...and the admissions office isn't going to say no if the school knows the money's coming in, lol

Old 03-22-2007, 10:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,827,618 times
Where I go to college it really doesn't matter how old you are. It matters how much you want to learn.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:03 PM

2,914 posts, read 7,233,562 times
I went back to college in my late 40's - Do It!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:04 PM

2,830 posts, read 8,873,451 times
You are never too old to learn. I returned to school as an adult and it was the best decision I ever made. I got a masters and had the opportunity to teach as well. Don't let age stop you -- go for it.

I think what made my experience so wonderful was by attending a university with small classes. Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:10 PM

7,061 posts, read 12,114,765 times
I'd say also to try to take a few traditional classes too, if you choose the on-line route. Interacting with other students and the professor adds a dimension to your education that you will miss with purely on-line classes. Not all or even the majority of classes are in huge auditoriums. Once you get into the upper division, things thin out remarkably.

You'll also do much better than your younger classmates, just because you've already "been there, done that" in the partying dept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities