Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 AM

427 posts, read 1,387,840 times

Advertisements

The shortage has more to do with the fact that schools do not have enough teachers, so students who want to get into nursing are not able to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
ain't necessarily so
Just because you can't get a job nursing in area A does not mean you can't get a nursing job in area B.

Even the VA hospital I go to always has job listing for RN's posted.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:05 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
The shortage has more to do with the fact that schools do not have enough teachers, so students who want to get into nursing are not able to.

Plus the standards are very high to get in. You wont get in with a "C" average..Where my daughter went the min. was a 3.8 GPA.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM

427 posts, read 1,387,840 times
Out community college only requires a 2.5. If your GPA even counts anymore, my cousin went back to school. The program itself can be tough but each school is different. An associates usually takes 2 years to become an R.N. If the minimum GPA was a 3.8 that would severly limit the students who could get in. VEry few people get a 3.8. Most schools have lower GPA requierments.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,418 times
That is the point, to have a high GPA. You can have a 3.0 and apply until the cows come home, you'll only get in if the school does a lottery. Most schools have a lower requirement on paper, but when you have 300, 400, 500 students vying to get 30 or 40 seats- having a 2.5 just ain't gonna cut it. I'm sure it isn't that way in every city, but many of them have very high requirements.

If the admission criteria was low, then the students who can pass the licensing exam would be even lower, and that will threaten the school's funding and risk the program to be shut down by the state nursing board.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:27 PM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Environmental engineering. Oops, that might mean building wind turbines. As a women who grew up on the tail end of the womens movement, I find it somewhat offensive to still think of jobs as being classified as being for women or for men...
Agreed, and to the point that I don't even understand the original question.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
A better question might be "what are recession proof jobs that ONLY women can do?"

Just as women can hold down most jobs that men can do, it works the other way around too.
No job will be recession proof just because of gender. A good female will keep a job while it lazy bum seated next to her gets fired. A good male will keep his job while his bitchyfemale partner gets the axe.

Find something that you think that you can do better than most people. Nursing and teaching are two good fields, but only for those people that have the talent for it. I would not last a year in either.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM

18 posts, read 84,165 times
Default pharmacy

Hi. Check into pharmacy. A friend of mine recently took a buyout from Walgreens (a year's salary) and has already had five interviews in the field.

Check out the following article:

The Columbus Dispatch : Pharmacists in demand across U.S.

Nursing should also be good.

One area I wouldn't recommend is law. Lawyers are getting laid off left and right and there are way too many people graduating from law school for the number of jobs out there.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 PM

30 posts, read 89,304 times
I guess I could have worded my question a little better. I just meant that I, and not because of my gender, but because I'm afraid of heights, wanted an idea of what careers would be recession proof that didn't require a lot of physical strength or being off the ground ( such as building wind turbines). I considered both nursing and teaching, but don't think I couold really do either. But thanks for the responses so far. Pharmacy sounds interesting!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:02 PM

240 posts, read 352,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Nursing is an absolute recession- proof. Look at the current nurse shortages, look at the wave of greying people coming up. Some health centers and nursing homes -already- are offering bursaries, in return for some years of work commitment there.

One has to have some basic desire for caregiving though. And that's why I will never be a nurse. My land is much more appealing to me. Some things never change, like having a certain desire for a certain field, and that could be considered recession-proof, too. As long as you are happy doing what you are doing, you will be poor and still happy. Beats being rich and unhappy.
The misinformation about nursing astounds me. First let me state that there is NO nursing shortage, there is a shortage of nurses willing to work on the floor, in other words; "Do the dirty work". Second even then the "shortage" is limited to certain areas of the country, in boston you'd be lucky to land a job, due to it being so saturated yearly with new nurses, in 5-6 months. Also, nursing is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT some golden career. I get so damn tired of seeing kids going into nursing and when I ask them why they say; "to make lots of money". You will not strike it rich with nursing, you will not make 100k a year unless you have an advanced degree, you are not guranteed a job anywhere in the country, and you have a very high chance of failing out of the program. Many RN programs have a grater than 50% fail rate. It is a HARD field to get into. Next did you know that almost half of new nurses either leave nursing or floor nursing altogether within the first five years of practice? All these people not even involved in nursing telling everyone how nursing is some golden career got REALLY OLD, REALLY FAST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities