Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option would you choose?
Option #1 0 0%
Option #2 0 0%
Another one I mentioned! 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:45 PM

28 posts, read 104,249 times

Advertisements

Hi--
I am currently an undergrad at Indiana University and am going to graduate soon, but I have had a change of heart and decided I want to teach high school social science. So, how should I get my certification? (I will probably end up in Atlanta, Austin, or Portland...) I have a couple options (and would love to hear anything yall can think of!):

Option #1: Graduate in August with BS in Telecommunications after doing 6 community college courses in history; then, start a WGU program in August. I would still need to do their preparation program for a few more courses in geography, constitution, world history, etc. (To do this I am also currently taking 22 credits.)

Option #2: Graduate in December with BS in Telecom and minor in History, after taking 19 credits now, only 3 history classes in summer school, and then in the fall I would take 15 history classes at IU (this would take the place of the WGU pre-masters preparation, but would take longer). Then, I would start WGU in January.

Is WGU a good program for me to use? Would I be able to find a good job with a MAT in 8-12 Social Science from it? I don't want to have to move because my job opportunities are limited due to the school I am certified by. Is there another program or alternative way that you think would work better, or, should I only do the certification program instead of the combination masters?

Does having a history minor help my chances of getting a job? What option does everyone think is best? I want to start teaching as soon as possible! Thanks so much!

Also--For anyone that has used WGU, how long does the WGU MAT program and pre-masters social science prep program usually take? What did you think about it and did you find a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Full disclosure - I know nothing about the WGU program so, unfortunately, I can't help you with that at all. But, I do know a little about teacher certification and the most important thing is to clearly understand what is required in the state where you want to teach. Certifications are not easily transferable and it's pretty common for each state to require a certain Praxis (or similar) test and even additional classes.

I know a recent grad from Clemson with a secondary certification from SC. To get his certification in PA, they want him to take three more classes plus the two sets of Praxis tests. My daughter was certified in IL and PA required her to take two sets of Praxis tests plus it took quite a while after she completed the paperwork to get the certification - and that was with an emergency certification and the School district Superintendent asking for it. To get NY certification she has to take another set of tests.

To teach at a secondary school, my guess is you need at least a minor in History. Many colleges require ed majors to double major so you will be a better candidate.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Ok thanks. I guess I am going to work for the history minor. The WGU program is an NCATE accredited online masters in Teaching of Secondary Social Studies. It requires you to have the social studies knowledge before starting anyways, but I was going to do a shorter prep-period they offer. Does anyone know what the chances of getting a job are when your masters degree is from an online teacher program (like WGU)?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
does this program involve doing student teaching?

Before doing this program, call your state's board of education and ask them if they will allow this to go toward your certification.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM

yes it requires at least a 12 week long student teaching...
it is accepted in all states accept one (i think it is iowa) ...
im just worried that even though i will have an accepted certification, the person hiring me would rather hire someone with a certification from a brick and mortar undergraduate college than an online masters that will cost the school more...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Is this the program? Social Science Teacher Preparation Program | Online Teaching Degree | WGU Teachers College Online (http://www.wgu.edu/education/teacher_prep_social_science_program - broken link) If I were you, I would follow skipcromer's advice and call the state's board of education and ask them if they will accept their accreditation. 50 State's Certification Requirements I'm not saying that this isn't a good program, I've just never heard of it. It's not something you want to be surprised about later.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonelaine View Post
yes it requires at least a 12 week long student teaching...
it is accepted in all states accept one (i think it is iowa) ...
im just worried that even though i will have an accepted certification, the person hiring me would rather hire someone with a certification from a brick and mortar undergraduate college than an online masters that will cost the school more...
Im curious how you would do student teaching. Will someone from the school be coming to observe you?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM

Yes that's the program; that is the introduction to the masters for people that don't have the necessary amount of social studies coursework from undergrad.

For student teaching, you are placed in a school near you. It is supposed to be the exact same as other types of student teaching. As for how you are graded on it, I guess that it is mainly up to the school and supervisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities