Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a white only one. I have a feeling that would not go over well in our PC society.
here are a few scholarships for white/Caucasians:

Werner Scott Scholarship

Annual awards for Hawaii caucasian residents (not of Polynesian blood) who are undergraduate and graduate students attending the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). Due date, number of awards and award amount varies.

Aid Type: Colleges' Scholarship
Number of Awards: Varies
Max.Value of Awards: Varies
Due Date: Varies
Web Site: UCLA Gateway

Bert A. Reinero Scholarship

Annual awards for White undergraduate students enrolled full-time at the University of California, Davis College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences majoring in Agriculture. Students must have financial need. Number of awards and award amount may vary.

Due Date: November 1st
Web Site: Welcome to UC Davis

Gertrude McDaris Ruskin & Sidney H. Ruskin Scholarship Fund

Annual awards for residents of Buncombe, Haywood or Madison counties, North Carolina OR reside on the Cherokee Indian Reservation in Swain and Jackson counties, North Carolina who are of the Baptist, Methodist or Presbyterian faith purusing postsecondary studies. Applicants also must be of Cherokee Indian descent OR Anglo-Saxon descent and have ancestors who resided in one of the original 13 colonies at the time of the Revolutionary War. Student must also have a minimum 2.5 GPA and financial need. Number of awards and award amounts may vary. Nonrenewable; but recipients may reapply annually.

Aid Type: Organization Scholarship
Due Date: June 10th
Web Site: http://www.wachoviascholars.com

(okay, I cheated w/ this one a bit since it's also geared towards Native Americans)

Francis Eppes Scholarship

Annual awards for white male residents from Hopewell, Virginia who are undergraduate students attending Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech) and are majoring in Agriculture of Engineering. Selection based on academic achievement. Award amount and number of awards may vary. Nonrenewable.

Due Date: March 11th
Web Site: Virginia Tech | Invent the Future

(oh look, one for white males!)

a quick google search dragged these up, I believe there were a few more out there. needless to say, they do exist, and no one, AFAIK, as made a giant fuss over them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Any scholarship based on anything other than "scholarly" achievements is stupid. But you can't tell people not to give away money. Oh well, I won't lose sleep over it. I'll just worry about me and keeping my scholarship.
true. when I graduate, I think I'll start a scholarship fund for black, single, childless, rat/mouse owning, dreadlocked agnostic women of Illinois . I'm sure I'm not the only one out there!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
true. when I graduate, I think I'll start a scholarship fund for black, single, childless, rat/mouse owning, dreadlocked agnostic women of Illinois . I'm sure I'm not the only one out there!
i lol'd.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
If you want outrage, focus on (a) legacy admits, (b) financial aid to those from wealthy families, and (c) government subsidies that favor the wealthy and idle.

In these groups, you'll find few underrepresented minorties...

Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
people that have gained some advantage, are not going to be willing to let go of that advantage.
the status quo is serving many very well this is not limited to scholarships.
but is most comprehensive of so many of our "level playing field" laws which extend to gender as well as race.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
I have yet to benefit from any minority scholarships but I certainly had plenty of opportunities to apply for some: scholarships for being a lesbian, scholarship for being an atheist, scholarship for being black, scholarship for being a female, etc.

If it really bugs you that much that minorities are obtaining scholarship money, start your own scholarship fund.

There are HBCU's that give scholarships to white student so...go figure.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
For every one 'minorities only' scholarship, there are probably hundreds of scholarships that are available to anyone who wants to apply. Being outraged that such a small percentage of scholarships that are available to people of color or what-have-you is ridiculous as there are hundreds of thousands of scholarships out there.

What really upsets me is that scholarships for non-traditional students are slim pickings unless you are (1) an adult woman (2) an adult woman with a child (3) a single parent, who also happens to be a woman. This is mainly because it is assumed that if you are, let's say, between 30 and 50 years old that you can somehow afford to pay for college (particularly if you are male). This is absolutely absurd because this same logic should also apply to the parents of traditional students since they are responsible for a portion of their traditional students tuition anyways and if assumptions are assumptions it should also be assumed that these same parents can afford their children's tuition just as much as it is assumed that I can be able to afford mine.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:37 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
I think it's reverse discrimination. I don't really stress about it though because there are so many different ones out there for other requirements. I don't think I've ever seen a white only one. I have a feeling that would not go over well in our PC society.
The Italian American foundation has scholarships for Italians only. I've never received one, but I was able to apply. That's white only. The foundation also arranges free study abroad semesters for young Italians. As others have said, there are all kinds of scholarships out there.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
For every one 'minorities only' scholarship, there are probably hundreds of scholarships that are available to anyone who wants to apply. Being outraged that such a small percentage of scholarships that are available to people of color or what-have-you is ridiculous as there are hundreds of thousands of scholarships out there.

What really upsets me is that scholarships for non-traditional students are slim pickings unless you are (1) an adult woman (2) an adult woman with a child (3) a single parent, who also happens to be a woman. This is mainly because it is assumed that if you are, let's say, between 30 and 50 years old that you can somehow afford to pay for college (particularly if you are male). This is absolutely absurd because this same logic should also apply to the parents of traditional students since they are responsible for a portion of their traditional students tuition anyways and if assumptions are assumptions it should also be assumed that these same parents can afford their children's tuition just as much as it is assumed that I can be able to afford mine.
I have noticed that a lot too.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:29 PM

125 posts, read 578,648 times
Default Good points, all

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities