U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2009, 08:46 PM
 
804 posts, read 1,199,415 times
Reputation: 452

Advertisements

Many colleges and universities are shunning off adult students, while some have an enrollment of 20%-30% or more. After speaking to a few people around the country, I'm getting the impression that it's regional (not happening everywhere).

Which colleges are best for a returning student, second degree, transfer, etc.? I keep hearing that these are more common on the east and west coasts. I'm referring to undergrad, not graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Status: "Fall is almost over!" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
69,637 posts, read 59,609,548 times
Reputation: 19958
Metropolitan State College in Denver and the University of Colorado at Denver have fairly significant "adult" populations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
7,468 posts, read 14,425,129 times
Reputation: 4653
Many colleges are beginning to open up to adult learners, returning students, etc... offering programs designed to fit their life. The 'shunning' comes from the fact that most adult students require (or desire) evening, weekend, and/or online courses to work around their careers, family and what-have-you. It takes money, time, and resources to hire new faculty, set up an on-line system, develop programs, and create the overall infrastructure to run it all.

Anyways, it all depends on you. If you plan on, or can, attend the majority of your classes during the day then you will not have any problem enrolling into a college any more than an eighteen year old would (granted that they accept you, of course).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 AM
 
Location: The land of milk and honey...Tucson, AZ
291 posts, read 933,663 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Many colleges and universities are shunning off adult students, while some have an enrollment of 20%-30% or more. After speaking to a few people around the country, I'm getting the impression that it's regional (not happening everywhere).

Which colleges are best for a returning student, second degree, transfer, etc.? I keep hearing that these are more common on the east and west coasts. I'm referring to undergrad, not graduate.
I'm in Arizona, so I agree with you to some extent. There are classes that are offered at night time, but those are mostly foundation courses that you could take at the local community college.

My local community college actually has a program where you take 60 credits and take the remaining undegraduate courses via distance online. You might want to check your local community college to see whether they have this option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 AM
 
95 posts, read 378,078 times
Reputation: 65
I would also look into HBCU's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 PM
 
10,382 posts, read 16,668,174 times
Reputation: 4893
There are two colleges within 15 minutes of my house that have a specific program for adults. They both call it Life long learning Lifelong Learning (ACCESS) You may be able to find out if nearby colleges offer it by googling the name of the college, adult learner.
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 PM
 
1,806 posts, read 3,174,322 times
Reputation: 591
What state is the OP in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 05:31 PM
 
804 posts, read 1,199,415 times
Reputation: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Many colleges are beginning to open up to adult learners, returning students, etc... offering programs designed to fit their life. The 'shunning' comes from the fact that most adult students require (or desire) evening, weekend, and/or online courses to work around their careers, family and what-have-you. It takes money, time, and resources to hire new faculty, set up an on-line system, develop programs, and create the overall infrastructure to run it all.

Anyways, it all depends on you. If you plan on, or can, attend the majority of your classes during the day then you will not have any problem enrolling into a college any more than an eighteen year old would (granted that they accept you, of course).
I know what you mean, though I am referring to full-time day programs. Some schools are only accepting recent high school graduates now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,559 posts, read 8,868,912 times
Reputation: 5908
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
I know what you mean, though I am referring to full-time day programs. Some schools are only accepting recent high school graduates now.
really, which schools?

I've found adult students tend to be far more serious about their studies than kids right out of high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,395 posts, read 14,621,451 times
Reputation: 5319
The ones offering more online classes...

I also agree more adults are more serious...

I think more of these online programs are Grad level though, BUT there are still quite a few undergrad courses offered at many universities as well if you just want to "get that bachelors degree"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
really, which schools?

I've found adult students tend to be far more serious about their studies than kids right out of high school.
most tend to make it much harder admissions wise for transfer or returning students, i.e. higher gpas etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top