Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your university experience?
It was overrated but ok for the most part 10 33.33%
Now that I look back, it was a rip off. 6 20.00%
Hated all of it. (Explain) 13 43.33%
Was shocked at how rude and greedy universities can be. 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:47 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

In all respect, lol why would you get so angry about somebody not doing their work? Just give them some help or advice. You are the one who was upset about it, so give out some advice.

I've had some groups where people didn't show up a few times in a row and seemed disinterested but in the end they did work because we were really nice to them about wanting their contributions. We held polite conversations with everyone and included everyone, did not get angry or condescending with anyone.

I've been in a few groups where people were really rude and didn't allow me to contribute for who knows what reasons. So sometimes the bad attitude/prejudice of the group will cause problems.

I remember in one group experience I asked a group member a few questions in regards to our project and he yelled at me "that he would not do my work for me". I said "I'm not asking you to do work for me. I'm asking what your opinion about something is, or if you have any ideas". He continued to become angry and belligerent and saying how he would not do the work for me. Can anybody figure what that was about other than poor team player and bad attitude????

I've been in groups with dictator type people that thought that their work was superior and perfect, and would exaggerate their superiority and perfection at every chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Ivy League Undergraduate - loved it

Graduate School in Australia. Loved the local (beaches, wineries, architecture of uni), but in 3 courses I had group projects where at least 1 international student did not contribute. And despite complaints, the school did nothing as I assume they liked the money international students were bringing in. In my opinion, in graduate school, Unis need to be tougher with those that do not do the work.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-30-2009 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Any other comments??

Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,234 times
Hate is such a strong word, but while I was in school I definitely hated it. Classes, teachers, time, money etc. Not all of my classes, and not everything about the school, but enough that I had looked at other schools on several occasions.

You need an all of the above option Greedy yes. overated yes. ripoff yes. But this was my attitude during school. Looking back my perspective has changed. It was definitely overpriced, especially for a curriculum that was pretty standard. Greedy. They were extremely greedy! My tuition doubled in the time I was there (in their defense it is a private school). But! there were some great teachers that overshadowed that bad ones and helped make it interesting. Plus there were lots of classes that I may not have appreciated until later on.

Some of the teachers were working professionals in their field. I am on the fence about this. It can be really good or really bad. For some of my core engineering classes it was nice to have someone with experience who practiced what he preached. But some of my math classes and others I would rather have had a full time teacher. Just because they have 30 years of xp using calculus as an engineer means they know how to teach anyone how to even add let alone calc. Now if the math had been taught as it relates to my core clsses it might have been nicer. But for a lot of schools the pre-reqs never quite match up. They have their own requirements. The students need to learn this , this and this in calc. Doesn't matter that it has nothing to do with real world applications or future class work. I know my school was trying to change this.

I think the cost was the biggest issue. Students graduating from my school now with no monetary help from anyone will have upwards of 90k in loans for tuition alone. This does not include books or living on campus. And since there is a cap on gov't backed loans probably half will be funded with private loans with poor interest rates.

Do I regret anything? Nope Glad I went and stuck it out.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:05 PM

72 posts, read 264,426 times
77 credits into college. I have a 3.3 gpa. I hate every part of it, even as a 21 year old who is supposed to believe that this is the 'best time of my life'.

My university is a good one. We have great academics, great sports teams, and a great student body. I just hate college, as I view it as a spiral of stress and debt.

With my bartending experiance, I know that whatever job I get graduating with my finance degree won't pay as well as what I make at the bar on weekends.

Tell me, I'm I the only one who views the general ed requirements for an undergrad as worthless? I took American History for the 5th time in my life in college. The only difference this round is that I had to pay for it. Its quite a redundant process if you ask me.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times
Well, you're not supposed to say that college is a waste of time (if you think that, then supposedly it's because you're an underachiever or "not driven enough") but when there are no jobs for so many college grads and they all go into huge debt, is college really the ultimate answer? It really smells like a huge racket if you ask me. We used to have a system where everyone got a decent education that opened the door to jobs that would pay a living wage, and they didn't have to take out ridiculous loans to pay for it. It was called "public K-12 education."

And yes, I went to college and graduated just fine. It most definitely was NOT the "time of my life," I mostly remember it as a blank. Thank God my loans are long paid off. Kids going into school today will not be half as lucky - running themselves ragged with all the competition to get in, taking on enormous debt once they're there, and living on the edge forever after, unless they're among the lucky 20% or so that will wind up getting these fabled mythical "green collar jobs" they keep promising to develop.

Why do people just accept this state of things as the best of all possible solutions? WTF? Everyone goes to college and pays more and more and more for a supposed shot at high-paying fantasy jobs that don't exist, and may NEVER exist? Sooner or later, people will wise up and wake up. And the higher education industry will collapse in on itself (at least to a saner size) just like the financial industry did. In fact, one thing will follow another, because already colleges are struggling to keep students and to keep their endowments. All those rich donors, especially those who lost millions and also lost their finance jobs, are no longer bankrolling this whole operation. The "college crash" is coming. You simply cannot maintain a society when there is only ONE very expensive avenue to so-called success -- a college "education" (it's really pay-to-play credentialing at this point, not learning). That's just madness. And I use that term "education" loosely because I learned more stuff reading on my own for pleasure in high school than I ever learned sitting in a college lecture hall.

Last edited by Jeromeville; 04-18-2009 at 05:06 PM..

Old 04-18-2009, 06:39 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,675 times
There are plenty of studies that show the value of a college education. It's not worth it up front, but is way worth it in the long run financially.

And some people, not all obviously, grow up in college.

I think it would be very unlikely for this to change.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:24 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgadams View Post
77 credits into college. I have a 3.3 gpa. I hate every part of it, even as a 21 year old who is supposed to believe that this is the 'best time of my life'.

My university is a good one. We have great academics, great sports teams, and a great student body. I just hate college, as I view it as a spiral of stress and debt.

With my bartending experiance, I know that whatever job I get graduating with my finance degree won't pay as well as what I make at the bar on weekends.

Tell me, I'm I the only one who views the general ed requirements for an undergrad as worthless? I took American History for the 5th time in my life in college. The only difference this round is that I had to pay for it. Its quite a redundant process if you ask me.
Then why don't you leave school and become a bartender? Also, there ARE universities that don't require you to take Gen Ed classes. Hampshire College in Massachusetts is an example. Hampshire College

Old 04-18-2009, 08:23 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Then why don't you leave school and become a bartender? Also, there ARE universities that don't require you to take Gen Ed classes. Hampshire College in Massachusetts is an example. Hampshire College
Because society expects you now to have a college degree as a pre-req to apply and be considered for the median McJob out there. If society didn't hang it over my head that I "NEED" a college degree to have a halfway decent shot at a crappy job that pays more than the exponential of a number less than 1, then I would have taken the actual cash value of my education and put it on a downpayment on a house or bought a car cold turkey, ending up ahead financially and 4 years earlier. But since that is not the case, and people are jumping head first into financial dispossession for the fable of a " great paying job" as a function of a piece of paper, we all have to follow suit or perish.

It's a ponzi scheme really, like many of the affairs that now have come to stare us in the face financially. You need the next sucker down the street to make the loop sustainable; at some point you run out of suckers and the last group gets stuck holding an empty bag while only the first person gets to enjoy the full value of his dollar. People need to understand that what worked for the boomers does not work for the Gen Yers and beyond. They had the benefit of being the first generation post-GI Bill to enter college as a generation, and as such saw the full value of said education. But like every other economic principle, marginal benefit is diminished the more players that enter. By the time the children of baby boomers entered college, they were hosed. It became a de facto high school diploma and the competition for less jobs, and more productivity expected of said jobs, made the demand for college degrees price inelastic, which is where we are today. Much like the easy access to credit to finance housing, the education bubble was also inflated to unsustainable levels and make no mistake, it will correct. But to suggest there is this inherent "value" to a pay-to-play creditocracy is just rationalizing the fact that one is " forced" to play as a function of competition, and absent that "incentive" there is no rational individual out there that would consider financial overleveraging as a viable way of making above median income.

My kids (the children of Gen Y) are truly hosed. The best they're gonna get out of me is my full attention to make sure they're well-rounded and technically adept individuals and decent at math (I believe parenting is the key to this outcome, not school districting), but as it pertains to college, if taking advantage of in-state schooling is not to their liking, that's on them, I won't partake in their dispossession. That will be a tough pill to swallow, as I was able to afford a wider variety of choices than they will by pure function of time.

So yes, college is a waste of time, but it has become a necessary evil for those who are just trying to keep their heads above water. That's the main reason which you should approach college with the same pragmatism as high school, because it is de facto high school in present times.

I hated my time in college, not just because of the countless years focusing on academic chaff I had no interest in, but because I recognized early on what the social and economic pressures that were behind having to pursue a degree. I finished my education by sheer work ethic, and the screwed up thing is that, even in hindsight, if I had picked a different concentration, I would have had the same opinion of the process today than I do pursuing the education that I did. In my case such conviction is accentuated by the fact that I didn't pursue employment in the degree I concentrated on, but the point remains.

In the absence of a viable way to enter both blue AND white collar labor forces under apprenticeships, colleges will remain de facto high schools. If that's not gonna change then I'm in full support of getting the value of a high school diploma ($0) in a college education. Therefore we should push for free college educations. Of course this will never happen, too many tenured professors and administrators riding the scheme to allow that to happen. As somebody who saw academia on both sides of the classroom, I'll rejoice the day the education bubble bursts....

Old 04-20-2009, 09:47 AM

72 posts, read 264,426 times
I don't think the education bubble will explode, per say, but I do think it will reach a certain size and then stay there. School life expectancy has risen dramatically over the past 50 years, but it has to reach a limit at some point. Lets be honest, most people hate school, which is why most people don't have a college degree. Too many people these days are pressured to go to college because they believe that it is the only way to climb the ladder into the middle class, and for many, it is. People who enjoy school simply don't understand the mental and physical health problems this causes for many.

Anywho, I now am off to study for a managerial accounting final. FUN FUN FUN!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Definitely a love/hate relationship with my University.

It was an expensive place to attend, the campus was nothing spectacular and the administration clueless.

The M/F ration was very lopsided as well and there were a lot of commuters. Not much in the way of campus life, activities etc.

With that said, they have improved a lot since I've graduated (and started to improve while I was still there). The campus is much improved, the M/F is pretty even, more people are living on campus and prices have been fairly stable.

My instruction was pretty good, class sizes fairly small, had a great study abroad, gained some great work experience & connections and made some great friends. Learned a lot about life, fighting battles, etc.

A couple examples of things that upset me where getting dismissed from the university while on a study abroad through the university because I wasn't on campus to sign a piece of paper. I found out I was no longer a student from the student loan provider. They cut me while I was active in study. I lost my financial aid package over this and it increased my cost of education by about $40,000. This is why I'll never donate to them.

The second was when they tried to move everyone out of their dorms in the middle of the academic year. We had quarters for our terms and a good amount of the campus had classes in the spring/summer. The new residential lady just assumed that there would be no one on campus for the summer term and tried to book up the dorms for parent events, new student recruitment, etc. Thankfully enough students spoke out that they changed their plans.

In retrospect I had a lot of good times, but not as much as I would of liked. I almost wish I went to a bigger campus, with a football team and quality athletics and a more open social scene. However, that is tempered everytime I talk to my freshman year roomate who was the best man in my wedding, see a basketball game on TV or hear of another accomplishment from a fellow graduate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities