Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Yes, there are two paths. The statewide path and local path. You must be in the top 9% in your high school class (or top 9% statewide, for the statewide path), and will be admitted to a UC if you don't get accepted at any UC that you applied to). In the past, those accepted through this method were admitted to UC Merced.
That's not saying much. Most people would rather go to a very good CSU than go to UC Merced. Seriously, not even UC Riverside? Having to live in one of the armpit towns in the Central Valley of CA to attend a UC seems unreasonable. At least UC Riverside is about 50 to 60 miles east of Los Angeles. If it were between UC Merced and some adjacent state OOS public university, I'd go running to the OOS school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 AM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Respectfully, I don't think that any colleges or universities give preference to Asians.
While they are over represented at many highly competitive colleges and universities, they are not given preference. If anything, colleges and universities, discriminate against Asians, when trying to balance their student population.

My daughter was adopted from an Asian country. We have already decided to not check the ethnic box. It's not mandatory, so why limit her chances?
There is discrimination, but it is against Asians, not in favor of them.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,278 times
Default Preference for Out of State

UC's need money and out of state students pay more than those in state. The UC I attended is constantly under construction adding new buildings, and new programs to allow for more students.I am a recent graduate from one of the UC's mentioned above. I just want to say that over the last couple of years myself and other students noticed many incoming students were from out of state and out of the country. We saw some of the biggest tuition hikes ever during the 2011-2013 school years. The bottom line is very important to keep the schools top notch.

Personally I feel that those in charge of the UC system have to constantly show how they are "improving" (making more profit, more prestige, etc) to keep their jobs.
Getting into a top UC is more about how the student helps the UC achieve the institutions goal than the students academics coming in.

Either you get in because you meet the criteria they need to fill at that time, there are so many 4.0 students alot will be turned down, while more spots are taken by other students who at least meet the minimum requirements but can also contribute more in tuition fees, or help increase an under represented demographic, I.E. minorities, disabled, poor, or veteran.

Either way my degree is crap! Don't send your kid to college the economy sucks. I have a decent job but all of my friends (all recent graduates) cannot find work in their field. Most are working as servers or just over minimum wage jobs. Financially, I make what I could have been making by now if I had worked at costco or home depot full time the five years I had been attending school. I'm just saying that the market is tough and a lot of students get out just to end up making dirt pay living in a apartment with 4 or 5 other people and Not Living the American Dream, Owning a Home and being able to support a family!

Tell her to get a job in an office as a secretary because office administration is what really pays these days! Administrators make up over 80% of the UC system, not professors, not tutors, speakers, or aids. I bet the same could be said for the government.

To solve your problem if you really want her to get into a UC have her go to the Jr. College near the school she wants and enroll in the Transfer Agreement Guarantee program. It guarantees admission to that corresponding University. Thats what all the people who do not have 4.0's go and do. Although this program was implemented to make sure that the LOCAL CALI PPL can still utilize the UC system and get our kids educated. Thats the path to victory for your daughter sir. She will have to be a transfer student and spend 2 years at the JC than transfer with the TAG. Good Luck!

Old 12-18-2013, 03:38 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recntgrd2013 View Post

To solve your problem if you really want her to get into a UC have her go to the Jr. College near the school she wants and enroll in the Transfer Agreement Guarantee program. It guarantees admission to that corresponding University. Thats what all the people who do not have 4.0's go and do. Although this program was implemented to make sure that the LOCAL CALI PPL can still utilize the UC system and get our kids educated. Thats the path to victory for your daughter sir. She will have to be a transfer student and spend 2 years at the JC than transfer with the TAG. Good Luck!
You DO realize that you are posting advice on a thread from March of 2009, don't you?
The OP's daughter should have GRADUATED this past spring.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,972 times
For med school, the blacks are favored. They are allowed lower MCAT and GPA scores compared to their counterparts. Asians need higher of both to be admitted for the same seat. That's because we represent 5% of America but 20-30% of the MD workforce.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:50 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,123 times
Default ALL UC's Insanely Competitive Now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
That's not saying much. Most people would rather go to a very good CSU than go to UC Merced. Seriously, not even UC Riverside? Having to live in one of the armpit towns in the Central Valley of CA to attend a UC seems unreasonable. At least UC Riverside is about 50 to 60 miles east of Los Angeles. If it were between UC Merced and some adjacent state OOS public university, I'd go running to the OOS school.
Asians are at all Top schools and ALL UC's which are insanely competitive now! UC Riverside has top notch programs (many in Top 100 on US News Rank) and great people! Is growing faster that ANY OTHER UC and moving up the ranks! Only reason why it, Merced, and Davis get made fun of is because of "crappier" inland locations for those wanting to be by the "big-city" or beach. They stopped taking redirects about 10 years ago and tough to get in now! Average GPA is 3.7, Minimum ACT is 23, and Average SAT is 1190...definitely no walk in the park!! Graduated from UCR way back in the day...one of the best decisions of my life!!

You can also get a great education at any CSU if you apply yourself. Community College (maintain a good GPA) and transferring a practical way to save money as well. Some majors at select locations are better than UC's. However as a general rule, ALL UC's (lower, mid, & high tier) are on a higher level than Cal States with the University of California System having worldwide recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities