Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 PM

282 posts, read 1,263,823 times

Advertisements

I'm really interested in doing something like that. Is there such a thing? What I really want is to deal specifically with Alzheimer's patients.

I had no clue how rough the disease is not on the family members, but the patient alone until about 10 years ago. My Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and just watching the deterioration and the subsequent constant frustration on her part was so sad.

I threw myself into taking care of her until she passed away 2 years ago. In that time, I read anything and everything that I could get my hands on about the disease.

While the family members are the ones that have to deal with the outward part of the disease, it's the patient that is left wandering inside their own head. I learned to kind of get in my Mom's head so she would have someone to "play with" for lack of a better phrase.

My question is, are there nursing courses that deal with strictly geriatrics and this disease? Or is it just a general nursing thing? I have no clue about any of it. All I can find is stuff about nursing, but nothing that's really geared toward geriatrics. I'm 41, is that too old to even be considering something like this?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,084,252 times
I have seen courses and seminars based specifically on geriatric issues and even dementia. I don't know if there are certifications for it though. There are certainly jobs in this area...there are assisted livings, nursing homes, medical and social day cares that are completely or partially dementia based. You could work with a neurologist or psychiatrist who specializes in dementia. If you like QA/policy type jobs, you could work on the administrative side of a dementia-specific program. Also case managers, educators, and lecturers are who specialize in dementia are other possibilities. In my experience, dementia is so hard on the families, and finding a clinician who can understand how hard it is, can be a huge help.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:06 PM

Thanx, christina!

Yeah, i'm looking at working directly with the patient, but working with both the patient and the family. Specifically families that decide to keep the patient home for the duration. I know first hand how difficult that can be, and I would love to be able to help other families dealing with this in that respect. I'll look into the certifications and stuff. Thanx for the help!!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:29 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,762,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
Thanx, christina!

Yeah, i'm looking at working directly with the patient, but working with both the patient and the family. Specifically families that decide to keep the patient home for the duration. I know first hand how difficult that can be, and I would love to be able to help other families dealing with this in that respect. I'll look into the certifications and stuff. Thanx for the help!!
I plan on taking care of my parents through whatever life brings them, and I hope I can find someone like you to help me! Really, God Bless You! What a way to make a difference...I wish you all the luck and happiness in your future career!

Old 03-29-2007, 05:45 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,338,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri_25ny View Post
I'm really interested in doing something like that. Is there such a thing? What I really want is to deal specifically with Alzheimer's patients.

I had no clue how rough the disease is not on the family members, but the patient alone until about 10 years ago. My Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and just watching the deterioration and the subsequent constant frustration on her part was so sad.

I threw myself into taking care of her until she passed away 2 years ago. In that time, I read anything and everything that I could get my hands on about the disease.

While the family members are the ones that have to deal with the outward part of the disease, it's the patient that is left wandering inside their own head. I learned to kind of get in my Mom's head so she would have someone to "play with" for lack of a better phrase.

My question is, are there nursing courses that deal with strictly geriatrics and this disease? Or is it just a general nursing thing? I have no clue about any of it. All I can find is stuff about nursing, but nothing that's really geared toward geriatrics. I'm 41, is that too old to even be considering something like this?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!
Quickest route - Associate degree nursing - write NCLEX - get RN license. Work, get BSN, then MSN / Geriatric Nurse Practitioner. Until then, work as CNA in LTC facility until graduate from ADN program.. Good Luck!!!!

Old 03-31-2007, 08:39 AM

I Love PA~
Thanx!

mm~
Thanx for the info. I've contacted a couple of local colleges and inquired about your suggestions. Thank you so much!

Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,111 times
We really need you, Lauri! Notice how few physicians are specializing as geriatricians.

Caring for the elderly can be a thankless task (in this world, at least) but with the aging U.S. population and our scattered, two-income familes, good eldercare is so desperately needed.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:15 PM

Thanx, Figment!
Congrats on being a mod, too!

I really LOVE senior citizens. I think they are the most beautiful people. And we can learn so much from them, much more than any history book could ever teach us if we'd just learn to ask.

I got the ball rolling with mm's suggestions. Now I just have to get through it!

Old 04-03-2007, 09:40 PM

92 posts, read 290,127 times
Default Volunteer first...

Lauri,

I minored in gerontology in college, volunteered in a nursing home for 2 years, did some volunteering with hospice, then worked as a nursing home social services director in 3 different facilities for 5 years... just to give you my background.

Geriatric nursing exists, but most of what you'll find is just a specific course or two within a BSN program. I took a semester of it in college. There are more specialized programs out there but they are few and far between.

However it sounds like you're still considering all possibilities, not necessarily just nursing. So here are a few other options to consider:

My first recommendation is to VOLUNTEER. Consider a local hospice agency or a nursing home. Reputable places can ALWAYS use the extra hands and will not hesitate to put you to work. Once you get started you can talk to others in the field to narrow down what you might be interested in pursuing further.

Nursing is not your only avenue for working with seniors. You can also do social work or activities. For an activities position, you can work your way into that without a specific degree, depending on the state requirements of course. You usually just need experience (for which consistent volunteering would usually qualify). Social work would require at least a bachelor's in social work or related field.

When I entered the field, I adored seniors. When I left the field, I still adored seniors, but was burned out by everything else. Problems I had: NO time to actually spend with the patients due to ridiculous Medicare paperwork requirements and endless meetings, irrational and demanding family members, staff who didn't care about their jobs or their patients, and trying to meet stringent state regulations that were intended to protect but ended up demeaning the patient. I constantly saw the good caregivers who truly cared about the patients being forced out because the above reasons... your conscience will only let you continue watching these things for so long. Those are the highlights. I'm not trying to talk you out of it... no one could have talked me out of it when I started because I thought I could rise above it if I cared enough... but the burnout rate with elderly caregiving is extremely high. Just something to consider.

Good luck! Write back or PM me if I can clarify anything for you.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:48 PM

92 posts, read 290,127 times
Default One more thing...

Forgot to mention...

I facilitated a community Alzheimer's support group for several years, and I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't think of this first! Duh! You can also get involved with your local Alzheimer's association. I know that our local chapter has periodic training sessions and conferences that are open for anyone who wants to attend. You might want to check into that, as well as attending a support group meeting, or calling the local Alzheimer's helpline and asking them about opportunities or advice.

Your age would probably serve you well, BTW. I did all this in my early-mid twenties and sometimes people did not want to take me seriously... initially thinking I did not have enough experience to relate to them. You will probably receive much less skepticism, particularly since you dealt with dementia personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities