U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:50 PM

14,455 posts, read 12,249,246 times
I spent a very short amount of time at Baker. I thought Baker was just fine. I think it really depends what you're going there for though. Baker is one of the very few colleges with no wait list on their nusing program. That is huge, the problem however is that it requires very high grades.

I think Baker college is a fair school, it probably doesn't have the best reputation or anything like that.. but if you're doing nursing then you'll be just fine.

I don't think I'd recommend going to Baker unless it is for their nursing program.. or possibly the radiology tech position.

For the record, I transfered all of my credits from Baker college to several "flagship" state universities without any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 829 times
Default Hurdles When Finding Employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Hmmm...it is curious to see how loosely the term "degree mill" is thrown around on City-Data. Baker is actually not a degree mill, because the definition of a degree mill is basically a 'fake' college that will award a 'degree' for a flat fee and that is just about it.

Also Baker is not really in the same class as University of Phoenix, because it actually is a non-profit educational institution that has been around for quite some time (1911). It is also accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (another plus, regional accreditation). With this being said though, in my humble opinion, Baker is a career school...and not really a college/university. They have fairly lax admission standards and a high turnover rate for faculty. Unlike many other private colleges, they do have really affordable tuition. However, the reputation may not get you far, so it could be that your money is spent better elsewhere. I know that if I saw someone with Baker on their resume, they would need some pretty strong credentials elsewhere to even make it in for an interview. Something to consider.

[SIZE=3]
Baker College is a great school!!!!!! They may have an easy enrollment program, but this is due to them believing in people and knowing that they can succeed. It is not an easy school by all means, and if you make it, especially with great grades, you have a lot to be proud of. If everyone got the door slammed in their face for not achieving great grades in high school, a lot of people would be out of luck. People get hired with a degree from Baker all the time, and people are attending from all over the country.

You are an employer who feels a certain way, and that is fine. Unfortunately, there are always hurdles when looking for a job. I believe you are an employer that a Baker College student needs to get passed. I am the Vice President of Sales for my company and I have been going to Baker College for 7 year’s part time. I am almost finished with a double-major, and then will go on for my Master's.

The gentleman that I work for believed in me as an individual and he appreciated that I worked hard for the grades that I received. This is what matters the most!!!!! You dedicated four years or more of your life to succeed at something, and any great employer will see that drive, and at least give the person an interview if he/she meets certain criteria. That is the name of the game, in most cases.

Anyone attending Baker College keep your head up, and do the best that you can possibly do. Do not let a comment like this, get you down!!!!!! There are some people that are involved with Baker College who are successful beyond most of our dreams. Most of us would just like a little taste, compared to some of them.

I am a successful Baker College Student and I am just getting started. Good luck to everyone who attends and believe in yourself!!!!!!

[/SIZE]

Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 PM

774 posts, read 558,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
>> Anyone heard of this place? I have a couple close to me in MI... Sounds like a degree mill...
Yes, and yes, it is a degree mill.

>>> How's the employment outlook? Reputation?
It's a degree mill.
I've never heard of Baker and I thought I knew everything

Learn something new every day. But is that something useful???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
Yeah, Baker College is pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole in terms of reputation. The only kids I am aware of that went there were the same ones who flunked out of community college.

I can't really speak to the specifics of the college, but the reputation is very weak. If for someone reason I had gone there, I wouldn't tell anyone about it.
LOL.... harsh but apparently accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperMcLucy View Post
First of all, to bash any type of Education is just nuts.

To address the post that said they are on the bottom of the totem pole. I have called various people in the industry... Directors of Health Services, managers, administrators of hospitals etc. ALL of them said they do not care where the degree comes from in the end. All that matters is that the person has the degree and met the criteria.
Righto! Hey, it's time for your open-heart surgery! You have a choice of surgeons--one graduated from Baker and the other from Johns Hopkins. Choose quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Hmmm...it is curious to see how loosely the term "degree mill" is thrown around on City-Data. Baker is actually not a degree mill, because the definition of a degree mill is basically a 'fake' college that will award a 'degree' for a flat fee and that is just about it.
Sometimes (often even!) the term "degree mill" is used as slight hyperbole. Ever-so-slight in this case, it would appear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerri01 View Post
[font=Calibri][SIZE=3]
Baker College is a great school!!!!!! They may have an easy enrollment program, but this is due to them believing in people and knowing that they can succeed

[font=Verdana] etc etc etc
Q.E.D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities