Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

I chose a school an 800-mile round trip from my hometown, so it really wasn't an option.

My parents are the sort that would have been no problem to live with had I needed/preferred to live at home during college. We get along, enjoy one anothers' company, and are quite close. They've taken half my siblings back into their home as young adults post-graduation while people got careers laiunched, they have no problem with it.

But, overall, the experience of a residential college was important to me, and it was important to my parents that I take that step. I was the oldest, and something of a homebody. I was very close to my parents, and leaving the nest was something I came to with a degree of trepidation, honestly...we all knew I needed to just make the leap and be done with it. It needed to happen for growth and learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
I did not live at home the first two years, then transferred to a local college the second two. It took getting used to, but literally I was NOT home except to sleep. I was at work or at school. And on the weekends, was working or dating my boyfriend. Parents were cool. If you had parents that did not treat you like a high school student it works. I saved lots of $$ not going away.

And I went home to a nice house to sleep at night, not some noisy dorm with lousy starchy food. I hated the dorm, and my second year away, I lived off campus. I would recommend having a sit down discussion with your parents about what their expectations are before you live at home. I had no issues meeting friends as the school I went to had no dorms, and we were ALL commuter students.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Did or is anybody else here living with their parents while going to college? I did and it was the worst decision of my life. Yes, I saved a lot of money but at the cost of four years of pure hell. My school was a 45 minute drive from my house and I worked a part time job that didn't like working with my schedule, so I had no friends and no time for any on-campus activities. All the challenge and homework of the college life coupled with all the fun of being treated like a 17 year old is not great. Though I am out of college now, I still bear the scars of having lived at home. I don't have near the life experience the average 23 year old has and while my friends commonly talk about how wonderful their college years were, for me it was four lost years, as if I was in prison. I strongly suggest anybody considering living at home and going to school to reconsider it. You will save money, but it's not worth losing what should be one of the best times of your life. Thoughts?

If anybody else has experience living at home and going to school or knows somebody who has, feel free to post a response.
I worked full time, went to school at night and I didn't live with my parents. I take it you weren't willing to accept a lower standard of living with a lot of roommates, a cheap apartment in a not-so-good part of town and macaroni and cheese every night.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
My son lives at home, as do all his friends. They attend a local CC. He plans on transfering next year and we have three 4 year public colleges/universities (not to mention several privates) within commuting distance but I don't know what he will do. My daughter couldn't wait to get away (literally moved out 3 days after HS graduation), but my son is different. Since it's his choice he isn't complaining.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Do most Americans move away during in College? Because here in Australia a lot of people still live with their parents while they attend university, into their 20s, more for practical reasons than anything else. Those who don't have moved out anyway. If you live in the same city as where you're studying it makes more sense, especially when not earning much.

Btw I find it odd you call it 'school', here in Oz we say go to 'uni' as in university.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 PM

318 posts, read 870,379 times
Two words: hell. no.

I moved out of my parents' house the month I graduated, while I was still 17, and started taking classes that summer. Best thing to ever happen to me. I'm 1300 miles away and it still doesn't feel far enough. Sadly, they've creeped 300 miles closer since I've been here.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Did or is anybody else here living with their parents while going to college? I did and it was the worst decision of my life. Yes, I saved a lot of money but at the cost of four years of pure hell. My school was a 45 minute drive from my house and I worked a part time job that didn't like working with my schedule, so I had no friends and no time for any on-campus activities. All the challenge and homework of the college life coupled with all the fun of being treated like a 17 year old is not great. Though I am out of college now, I still bear the scars of having lived at home. I don't have near the life experience the average 23 year old has and while my friends commonly talk about how wonderful their college years were, for me it was four lost years, as if I was in prison. I strongly suggest anybody considering living at home and going to school to reconsider it. You will save money, but it's not worth losing what should be one of the best times of your life. Thoughts?

If anybody else has experience living at home and going to school or knows somebody who has, feel free to post a response.
I'm doing it right now, it's not bad. It does suck being removed from campus, it's made it much harder to make friends or meet women or anything like that.

BUT, thankfully I'm not treated like a 17 year old, and my dad's house is in a pretty awesome location (way better than College Park, MD). My room is super spacious, and I have a clean bathroom... it's much better than that section 8-like crap they call a dorm. I get home-cooked meals almost every night. My commute takes 30-50 minutes depending on whether I go during rush hour service or off-peak service.

If I could have the amenities that I currently have with the conveniences of living on-campus (much easier to meet people, go to club meetings etc) that'd be great. Unfortunately that's pretty much non-existent unless you live in one of the student apartments near campus, which are expensive without a roommate. As of right now I have no friends I could board with, so that's pretty much out of the question.

There's really nothing like being able to stroll out of my house and get a great cup of coffee from a local cafe, or get some breakfast at a local diner, or being able to take a 9 minute bus ride to a popular music venue, or being very close to all sorts of great restaurants. Once I'm 21, if I'm still living here, I can get just as crazy as on-campus students do, because there are lots of bars and clubs here. Not the classiest joints but they get the job done.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:04 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
Two words: hell. no.

I moved out of my parents' house the month I graduated, while I was still 17, and started taking classes that summer. Best thing to ever happen to me. I'm 1300 miles away and it still doesn't feel far enough. Sadly, they've creeped 300 miles closer since I've been here.

As the parent of a snotty, spoiled rotten teen, I can assure you its no picnic being a parent to such a kid. what makes you think it was "fun" for them ruining your life? hey, legally they didn't have to provide you with a home, tuition, meals, etc past age 18.

I'm so glad you made it on your own, and so sorry your parentc "crept" back into your life. Just where in #ell would you be without their support? I hope for their sake they "creep" away as far as they can get before your ruin what'e left of their lives!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM

318 posts, read 870,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
As the parent of a snotty, spoiled rotten teen, I can assure you its no picnic being a parent to such a kid. what makes you think it was "fun" for them ruining your life? hey, legally they didn't have to provide you with a home, tuition, meals, etc past age 18.

I'm so glad you made it on your own, and so sorry your parentc "crept" back into your life. Just where in #ell would you be without their support? I hope for their sake they "creep" away as far as they can get before your ruin what'e left of their lives!
*edit.

Forget it. After looking through your posts and noting just how frequently you like to chew people out in order to feel better about yourself or whatever, I'm not wasting my time thoroughly explaining my post. As for where I would be WITHOUT my parent's support, that's exactly where I am right now. period. My grandparents raised me because my parents lost custody because of their LACK of
Quote:
home, tuition [k-12 education], meals, etc

Last edited by alamosakid; 11-11-2010 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

wow, rude much? you have no clue about the circumstances behind that statement. hell, I feel the same way as alamosakid. I moved from Boston to Chicago and it still feels like that's not far enough and have literally debating moving to Australia or New Zealand (not just to get away from them of course, but it would have been a bonus). not all parents are that great and frankly, getting away from my father and stepmother saved my life

sorry you raised a brat kid, but that doesn't mean all kids who don't appreciate their parents are brats. some parents just don't deserve any respect

Last edited by eevee; 11-12-2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities