Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 12:43 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times

Advertisements

For me, college was a breeze. I played sports year round in HS and therefore would not get home from school/practice till 6pm or so. Then I had so many stupid, time consuming projects to do that I would not get to bed till late. Then, I would have to wake up before 6am to get to school on time. In college, you only take a few (or even no!) classes every day and often get a long break to take a nap or meet up with friends. Also, you pick your gen ed classes that you want, so if you really aren't interested in something (as long as its not a requirement) you don't need to take it. For me, college was a lot of paper writing, which was very easy for me.

But its all relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 02:31 AM

16 posts, read 33,752 times
I think college is more stressful specially in your case which is you study through scholarship. There are so much to worries in college and subjects are a little bit more of harder an realistic. Professors teaches you ideas and lessons which is very relevant in real battle of life and career. You would have to maintain you grades for you scholarship. Specially on the last semester where you are going to make thesis. You will experienced sleepless night just to meet every projects.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:39 AM

275 posts, read 707,894 times
Thesis is only for Master's level students isn't it? I graduated college and didn't have to do a thesis. Guess that depends on you degree?

I got my BFA in Photography. Very very intensive program. Constant critiques, long nights shooting/editing and printing. We had to do a gallery showing for our grad requirement. Put on our own show, planned it, hung it, did a reception and tore it all down. Lots and lots of work that took months and months to plan and achieve.

You get out of college what you put into it. I learned A LOT. I made so many networking contacts and produced great work that has been seen in galleries all over. College wasn't stressful as a whole/ individual projects were stressful, but again, not everyone puts in the amount of work that others do. There were those in my program who just slid by... but their work showed that.

Apply yourself, work hard but don't forget to relax once in a while.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:55 AM

240 posts, read 352,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Hey all.

As many, I am looking to go to college (I am currently in the 9th grade). High school for me has proven to be very stressful. Although I am very happy to get 7 scholarships (to Oxford, Harvard, Emory, Vienna, UCLA, Columbia, and MIT), I feel very pressured to keep my grades very high. Is college more stressful than this??
You were accepted to these places in the 9th grade and already have seven scholarships? Um, is the system where you are different or.....am I missing something here? I unno, this post is a little...weird, can you clarify at all?

Old 05-01-2009, 01:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Not everybody in college is going to be a hard boiled perfectionist or excellent at everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
TThere were those in my program who just slid by... but their work showed that.

Apply yourself, work hard but don't forget to relax once in a while.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 PM

275 posts, read 707,894 times
Lol. Totally true artsyguy. Totally true.

I just only can base things upon my husband and I's experiences. In the art department you had to get your crap done or you had nothing to be graded on. So for me, it was do your work or fail. Lol. My hubby was in journalism, so he had it different. Much different. In the art department you were graded upon your work, so I wasn't a perfectionist, but I tried really hard to meet my own expectations and those of my professors. Lol. I wasn't "excellent" at anything. (Not that I claim anyhow, but I know I wasn't HORRIBLE).

Old 05-01-2009, 09:39 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,466 times
High school wasn't stressful (academically) for me at all...but then again, I went to one of the lowest performing high schools in the state. I didn't even open my book outside of class and the As were given out like candy at a parade.

College is more stressful, but only under certain circumstances. When you have to get up for a 8:00 or 9:00 class every day out of the workweek (plus have three more classes to take back-to-back) when your roommate likes sleeping with the TV on, things can get a bit tough.

I've learned my lesson, though. I don't take classes back to back anymore and the only roommates I have are those who have their own rooms. Now that I'm in that condition, college is a breeze. I study right after class in my room with no interruptions and everything just sticks. I even have time to do research on the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities