Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 05:02 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,499,643 times

Advertisements

Hey all.

As many, I am looking to go to college (I am currently in the 9th grade). High school for me has proven to be very stressful. Although I am very happy to get 7 scholarships (to Oxford, Harvard, Emory, Vienna, UCLA, Columbia, and MIT), I feel very pressured to keep my grades very high. Is college more stressful than this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 05:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
I personally found high school more socially stressful and college more academically challenging. However if you have these scholarships, then I imagine you were more focused then I was in high school.

I think one of the things that makes college nicer is you have more freedom which for me gave me the ability to blow off some steam and be ME. I was able to arange my schedule of classes, make sure I wasn't weighed down with classes all at once that were difficult etc.

I think you will be fine, just keep in mind that college is very important and keep working at it.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM

589 posts, read 1,559,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I personally found high school more socially stressful and college more academically challenging. However if you have these scholarships, then I imagine you were more focused then I was in high school.

I think one of the things that makes college nicer is you have more freedom which for me gave me the ability to blow off some steam and be ME. I was able to arange my schedule of classes, make sure I wasn't weighed down with classes all at once that were difficult etc.

I think you will be fine, just keep in mind that college is very important and keep working at it.
I agree. In college you're in the company of adults who are there because they are serious about getting an education.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:17 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,285,718 times
By 9th grade, do you mean your final year in secondary/high school? Otherwise the reference to scholarships is odd.

If you are about to head to university, congratulations! Stress in university is of a different kind. It is far more a function of your own pressure, the pressure from your own ambitions rather than in passing through the gauntlet.

Where will you go and why? Just curious given such wonderful choices. It is hard for me to think beyond Oxford, Harvard, Columbia, and MIT. Nice...

Old 04-18-2009, 10:20 PM

18 posts, read 41,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Hey all.

As many, I am looking to go to college (I am currently in the 9th grade). High school for me has proven to be very stressful. Although I am very happy to get 7 scholarships (to Oxford, Harvard, Emory, Vienna, UCLA, Columbia, and MIT), I feel very pressured to keep my grades very high. Is college more stressful than this??
How did you get all these scholarships being in 9th grade? Typically, you apply to college, get accepted, then apply and receive scholarship(s) when you are in the last year of your high school. 12th grade here in the US. All the high school kids here in the states are just now getting their acceptance letters. They don't even have to commit yet. Scholarship for school year 2009-2010 is not even discussed or reviewed. Is the system in Germany somehow different?

Many contradictions here. You feel pressured to keep your grades high, you find high school very stressful, yet you get scholarships to the most pretigious universities. Why worry if you already got the money promised?

Old 04-18-2009, 10:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
College can be stressful, especially if you want to go on to grad school. You have to keep your grades up in that case. You also generally have to keep your grades up to keep your scholarships. But as Lindsey said, you have a little more freedom and control over your schedule and the like.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,952 times
IMO, high school was more difficult lol. Not sure what it is but during high school it seemed like everyone was pressuring you into getting good grades, going to xyz good school etc. Once you get to college all that goes out the window. Now you just focuz 100% on learning instead all the other drama. Also I think I just developed good stress management skills during high school years lol.

I focus a lot on doing exercise, social events and work/life balance to help reduce stress.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:46 AM

436 posts, read 755,667 times
I think it depends on what high school and what college? Do you go to a prep school? A lot of prep schools are very rigorous. I went to a boarding prep school, and most the kids I knew felt that the academic workload in college was a breeze. Personally, the most difficult time I had was the freedom.

Just as the difficulty in high school varies, the difficulty in college varies. Also, it really depends on what type of courses you take. The better the college, usually the more difficult, especially for classes that are graded on a bell curve. The schools you mentioned, I would imagine would be rather challenging. You would be surprised on how many undergrads attending these schools are already published.

Some things I have heard from friends...
* colleges that have quarter-based school year are a bit more intense.
* some colleges like MIT are easy the first year, but get really difficult after your freshmen year.
* I knew quite a few people who dropped out of ivys, and then went on to graduate at a different college. To what they told me, they said the workload differences were like light and day.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:45 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
They are stressful in different ways.

I worked my butt off in high school to do well because I had the pressure of needing merit scholarships. I was very successful with this venture and did very well in the scholarships department, but was very stressed about every little A-.

College is stressful because I go to a difficult school where I am no longer the smartest person around. Far from it, in fact. I struggle to get even Bs but put in about 10 times the effort I put in to get As in high school. Its been stressful to be able to accept that just because I'm intelligent and a hard worker that it will always mean I succeed academically. Not to mention that because of the nature of college, you will be sick much more often. I became very seriously ill my freshman year on top of common colds, stomach bugs, and flus that get passed around so many people in such tight quarters. You have to learn fast to cope with it on top of coping with it on your own. You won't have mom and dad there to sort you out.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:51 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
I think high school was much more stressful for me - trying to get good grades, minding my parents, the high school social scene....

The first year (maybe 2) of college was fairly easy for me and I loved the freedom. After that, things got a lot more challenging academically. I couldn't just cram the night before a test to get a passing grade - I really had to study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities