Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 AM

943 posts, read 3,151,414 times

Advertisements

Here in Virginia I was told that if a student attends and graduates from one of our Community Colleges with at least a "B" average they are guaranteed admission into the University of Virginia and or any other of our fine State Schools. Is this true in other States?

http://www.nvcc.edu/about-nova/direc...adm/index.html

If so, I suspect as budgets are cut and tuition is raised at the colleges all over America, it will be a much more common occurrence. Live at home and go to the community college and then transfer into the State University for the last few years.

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 04-21-2009 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:14 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,910,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Here in Virginia I was told that if a student attends and graduates from one of our Community Colleges with at least a "B" average they are guaranteed admission into the University of Virginia and or any other of our fine State Schools. Is this true in other States?

If so, I suspect as budgets are cut and tuition is raised at the colleges all over America, it will be a much more common occurrence. Live at home and go to the community college and then transfer into the State University for the last few years.
I doubt if there is anything that 'guarantees' you admission. That said, a high 'B' average with an Associates could probably get you into most state Universities across the country, with a few exceptions of course.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM

756 posts, read 2,213,184 times
CT has a partnership with it's 8 community colleges and UCONN. Anyone graduating with a 3.0 at one of the community colleges is GUARANTEED admission to UCONN.

It's a fabulous opportunity for a quality education at a decent price.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:21 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,672,607 times
Temple U has a similar arrangement with PA community colleges.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,667,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Temple U has a similar arrangement with PA community colleges.
Temple U has so many great international opportunities to study around the world while still going to their school. If I was rich, I would definatly attend this university.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:27 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,152,086 times
neat to hear as temple is often considered the great value school for residents in PA (about $10k a year in tuition)

even for out of staters it's one of the lower priced options in the city for major universities:

about $11k less per year than Drexel
$15k less than Penn - although it's more of a gap when you factor in the fees with Penn - closer to $20k less all up
$18k less than Villanova
$12k less than St. Joes
$10k less than LaSalle

Old 04-21-2009, 02:38 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,234,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

Guaranteed Admissions :: Northern Virginia Community College

This may sound crazy to some people out there....But my college of choice had a 97% acceptance rate. Let me explain that a little bit first. My school wasn't heavily populated like a lot of big schools such as UT Austin (very large student population). There wasn't a big draw to go there. No big 12 athletic team. No beaches nearby. 80% male student population. Definitely not a party school (but definitely did inspire drinking). It was actually very dull and boring to go there. They'll let nearly anyone go as long as they meet the criteria (which is easy...must be a HS graduate....LOL). Yearly applications were actually under the capacity of the school. Why? It is a school that specializes in engineering and science....Nerd School. (GO NERDS!)

Graduating is a different story. What happens is they only retain 60-70% of the underclassmen because they wash out in the basics. (ie Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, Basic Eng, Mechanics of Materials, Thermodynamics, etc) The first year or two of the program is designed to weed you out if you aren't serious about it or can't hack it. They could just raise the bar for in-coming freshman...but why do that when they can take their money for a couple of years before they fail them?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
neat to hear as temple is often considered the great value school for residents in PA (about $10k a year in tuition)

even for out of staters it's one of the lower priced options in the city for major universities:

about $11k less per year than Drexel
$15k less than Penn - although it's more of a gap when you factor in the fees with Penn - closer to $20k less all up
$18k less than Villanova
$12k less than St. Joes
$10k less than LaSalle
What a Coincidence....I was just at Drexel over the weekend to serve as a Judge for an engineering competition for college students.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,152,086 times
Heh and I just happen to be a Dragon

I saw your post above and it sounded like drexel when I enrolled there - lots of guys, big attrition rate, etc ...... it's more rounded now though

Although not in the engineering program it was neat sitting in on some of the competitions they would have. A fun one would be where the local HS kids would come in with their robotics teams.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Heh and I just happen to be a Dragon

I saw your post above and it sounded like drexel when I enrolled there - lots of guys, big attrition rate, etc ...... it's more rounded now though

Although not in the engineering program it was neat sitting in on some of the competitions they would have. A fun one would be where the local HS kids would come in with their robotics teams.
It must be a specialty engineering school thing then. I went to UMR (aka Missouri S&T)

The competition I judged was the East Coast Human Powered Vehicle Challenge. Drexel hosted it this year. This is the first year we've had it in the far Northeast. Usually it happens in the South.

(btw...my gawd....driving in Philadelphia was a nightmare)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities