Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 AM

751 posts, read 2,473,104 times

Advertisements

I have an LMSW.

If you want to be able to bill Medicare than you must get the masters in social work. Also, if you ever want to do something besides straight counseling, you will need the social work degree. Counselors only counsel, social workers have 100s of different options. I am a dialysis (medical) social worker - very interesting to say the least.

I will say this though, the counseling program will give you more classes and in class group time in actual counseling practice sessions, while social work is more theory related and you are expected to be getting your counseling experience at your internship.

To get the SW clinical license in Ohio, you need 3000 hours of paid experience with supervision over no less then 2 years.

If you are even considering changing fields, you need to talk to a guidance counselor to see if any of your credits will transfer, surprisingly to some people, sw and counseling does not offer the same classes. You might end up wasting a lot of money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 34,196 times
I agree that the MSW has more opportunities than the LPC. I just graduated and received my MSW, and I landed a fellowship in the VA (veteran administration). This is an interdisciplinary fellowship with psychologists (Ph.D), Social Workers (MSW), Nurses (Masters-level), Occupational Therapists (Masters-level), and Chaplains (M.Div). There was no position for Masters-level psychologists. If I had an LPC instead of MSW, I would not have been able to get this fellowship.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 PM

62 posts, read 218,040 times
Run, do not walk, to change your degree to Social Work, immediately! I have a masters degree in Mental Health Counseling, and a CRC, and am a licensed substance abuse counselor, and a licensed school counselor...and it is all completely meaningless...a social worker, right out of school could get a job faster, making more money than me, with more respect. It is like my masters degree is completely meaningless. Even co-workers, many who are social workers, sort of have an "attitude" that my degree is like something I just got on-line in my spare time. Not a "real" masters degree. The rules to get licensed to practice as an LPC or CPC-i are more strict and draconian than the ones for social work. I personally think that social workers developed the licensing for LPC to be so much more difficult.

The VA does not hire counselors, for whatever reason, and since they pay the most money, with the most jobs...social work is a better bet, all the way around.

I got my degree in Mental Health Counseling, thinking it would be considered the same as social work...because it was the only program I could do while working full time at a mental health agency, as a substance abuse counselor. The social work program was only for full time students. Well, after I graduated, even the agency I worked for, and did my internship hours at, hired a social worker with no experience over me, because her hours could be billed to Medicare/Medicaid. So, I worked, and took more classes to get my CRC, thinking...now I can make more money...ha ha...vocational rehabilitation counselors are basically treated like junior employment counselors.

Well, have I gone on enough to change your mind? Don't make the mistake I did...it was a wasted of time, money, energy. I would go get a degree in social work now, but what is the point? I just don't have the energy to take 60 hours of the same graduate classes and do the hours of internship again.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 10,963,638 times
Looks like junkie has left for greener pastures.

OR to work on more nursing education, or an MSW degree, those are the two best pieces of advice above.

MSW is by far the most versatile and marketable degree, other than an RN/Masters, as most folks have stated. The VA and other systems grab MSWs but often have no interest in other degrees.

Other degree programs will probably not mention that to you. I was not at all well briefed on career options before entering MSW school. I learned all that afterwards.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 33,739 times
You need to look at what you want to do.
In Connecticut, the LPC (licensed professional counselor) is the equivalent of an LCSW (licensed clinical social worker).
I, personally, have no interest in social work. I got my MA in clinical psychology. I deplore the use of social work in what some label "therapy". Therapy is therapy; social work, case management, that kind of thing, is not what is done in therapy.
If you already have your BSN, you may want to consider, as others have mentioned, looking into your state's equivalent of an APRN (Advanced Practice Registered Nurse). With prescribing privileges, in addition to therapeutic training, you could write your ticket to any mental health practice (and get paid beaucoup bucks).
Just remember, it's your life- think of what you envision yourself doing then work backwards on how you will achieve it. Don't worry about the hours you need, regardless of what program you choose. There is a reason why those hours are required.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 32,005 times
I've been reading through these responses, and I have to ask.....What is is you really want to do? I too am RN BSN, and looking to shift gears. At 40, and with lupus, I just don't have the physical ability to handle 12 hour shifts, and hard physical labor. So, I am thinking MSW. Some of the responses sound like therapeutic communication without an actual answer, and some seem to think you would be better off staying in nursing, but going the behavior health NP route. Personally, I don't think I could stomach more nursing education; hence the MSW thoughts. Are you burned out in nursing? If so, I can't imagine heading back to a master program where you will hear for the billionth time about the nursing process. Nursing is just not an autonomous career. I have certainly written papers to the contrary, but it's just not. Writing scripts for antidepressants etc.. all day...uh..no thanks right? Regardless of what it pays, I personally think the traditional medicine route, where you are a less paid "fill in" for a psychiatrist is not exactly a dream job. BTW, California has horrendous criteria for all licensees. The MSW programs are really hungry for students right. It wouldn't hurt to look into it. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 31,739 times
In North Carolina an LCSW requires a MSW and 3000 hrs which is 2 years of clinical work plus the supervision. The problem here is that no insurance takes the P-LCSW (provisional). NC Medicaid has rules which prevent P-LCSW(s) from being able to bill at the same rate as other counselors. This results in a very limited amount of employeers being able to carry a
P-LCSW on their staff unless they can work for a low wage. The no one really seems to be trying to advocate to the licensure board to make changes in order to help new graduates be able to actually use their degree. Don't you just love bureaucracy.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 31,323 times
I am in school to become a LPC and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Without the degree, I am currently a supervisor for two programs and I am also able to counsel under my agency's clinical license. I hate when MSW's try to down play the counseling degree. You most certainly can do other things with a counseling degree. People need to stop thinking what they have is better. Counseling is counseling no matter what letters you have after your name. If you are qualified to counseling then lets get to it because there are some people who need our help

Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 26,183 times
Default LPC or LCSW? Transferring between states?

I am trying to decide between Masters in Counseling vs. MSW. I am looking at doing an online degree either way. In the future I am more interested in working in private practice/therapy, and not so much with the government; HOWEVER, I do plan to move in the future, so reciprocity is important as well. As far as curriculum is concerned, the Counseling curriculum seems so much more interesting to me than SW curriculum (which I think is very important when doing an online program).

I do not want to limit my job opportunities, but as I said I am more interested in working in private practice/therapy. Can anyone shed light on any of the following issues:

-Transferring LPC license and/or LCSW license between different states? Difficulties or not they have encountered either way?

-Pros or cons of either license?

-Reimbursement by insurance companies/overall salaries?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 25,840 times
There is no way you're in an LPC program as there is no such thing as an LPC program. Instead, you're obviously in a counseling program rather it be mental health counseling or something in that nature. So, lets just clarify that.

These responses are interesting as in nobody here really understands the difference between an LPC, LCSW, MSW and so forth. By the way, an LPC and LMHC is not the same thing--yet an LPC and LMHC are mental health professionals. An LPC can be obtained by individuals in different counseling programs (i.e. mental health counseling, rehab counseling, school counseling, etc). You cannot compare an LPC to an LCSW. An LCSW is only relevant to individuals within the clinical track of the social work program; and there are only two tracks to choose from within all social work programs. In addition, an LCSW is only specific to individuals within the social work program. An LPC, on the other hand, is relevant to most counseling programs so long as the requirements to work as an LPC have been met in the state the person chooses to work.

I have spent over ten years in the mental health field; and I have met many idiots as LPC's and LCSW's. Neither of these license hold greater pull then the other. I was paid well over the amount as an LCSW coming out of school with just a bachelors in psychology and tons of research/field experience. If you really want to know some true differences, I can tell you that an LPC undergoes much more counseling than an LCSW solely because an MSW program is not counseling focus. It's not meant to be for those of you that don't really understand the history of social work. This field has grown over time, and my undergrad school (UF) does not recognize this field for what it has grown into...and they still do not have a social work program; and do not plan on having one anytime soon. The field of social work is designed to place social workers in different positions (courts, schools, mental health agencies, veterans hospital, etc); but these positions can also be obtained by people that are licensed mental health counselor, licensed marriage and family therapist and licensed professional counselors. It's none bias. I work for a government agency that takes people who are licensed when it comes to billing. Also, many people that hold LCSW's do not work under the job title of a social worker; and instead, provide work as clinicians doing assessments and/or just individual therapy. Those job classification might be Clinicians (which is seen mostly within mental health facilities), therapist (lpc, lcsw, lmfc, lmhc, etc), school social worker and so forth. In order to become classified as a social worker in positions that don't require a licensed (and not all do), one just need education in a human service field; but, that classification does not mean the person's educational background is social work.

Individuals in a mental health counseling, rehabilitation counseling, school counseling, etc will always undergo much more counseling because that's what their degree calls for. People coming out of these programs will sit for their certification in mental health counseling, rehab counseling and so forth. Upon the completion of their master's they are then authorized to prepare for the LPC if they choose. But, an LPC is not governed by the schools; and instead, is govern by the states (which might vary). If you do not believe me, you can look at the requirements in your state.

In addition, in order to qualify as a therapist and bill medicaid with an LCSW one must have taken the clinical track of social work and meet the requirements to become licensed upon completion for that state (which vary amongst states). Virginia seems to be much more difficult than most states. Most agencies will hire a licensed eligible person coming out of school with the assumption that you're working towards licensure, which takes many people years. I say licensed eligible because that license does not have to be in social work; as you will see LPC, LCSW, LMHC, LMFC working in the same department. As for the LPC, you are qualified to bill medicaid/medicare and hold your own practice. That is a fact for those of you that are misunderstanding what an LPC can do with their license.

I have friends that are both LPC's and LCSW. I just find it to be funny that people in these programs do not have a good grasps on what it is and some look down on one as oppose to the other, which is rude. People should really network with different mental health professionals before making statements that they don't really know. I would be careful on drawing false comparison.

Just as some background, I have provided a link to the National Board for Certified Counselor since there seems to be a huge misconception here. I hope this helps. [url=http://www.nbcc.org/Certification-Licensure]National Certification and State Licensure[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities