Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM

363 posts, read 1,360,471 times

Advertisements

I am taking online graduate school classes from a state university. The tuition is less and it is accredited. Usually Kaplan, Univ of Phoenix, Nova Southeastern, etc., are much more $$ per credit hour than a state university. I also agree with a previous poster about group work. I am so thankful that my online classes focus on MY work individually. I do not have any group work. I post to the class message board and complete my own essays and research weekly.

I have completed my bachelors and have taken previous graduate school credits on-campus, never online.

This is my first experience with online classes and so far I like it. I am in Florida and I am attending a state university in Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,024 times
It depends what you're studying and if you have been through college before. I spent 3 years earning my Master's degree through an online program (Capella University) and I'm very satisfied with what I learned. The degree also helped me move into a better career position. An online degree is great if you have a busy life (e.g., you have a job that involves a lot of business travel). Most of the people in my program were industry professionals who had one or more degrees and had > 10 years of professional experience behind them. So, throughout the courses, we could draw upon a lot of 'real world' experience. I think that you can be successful in an online program if you have strong self-discipline and good study habits (because there is less 'hand-holding' in an online program).

I also found that the online program was more demanding because in addition to writing papers, I also had to submit work every week and I had to participate in a lot of in-depth discussions each week with my professor and peers. (Whereas when I participated in a 'brick and mortar' graduate program about 10 years earlier, I could just show up for class 1x or 2x a week and then just submit a paper at the end of the semester.) So, if you're going for a Master's, I would definately recommend an online school. If you're just coming out of high school though and this is your first experience with taking college courses, or if you're pursuing a degree that requires a lot of hands-on lab type courses (e.g., Chemistry), I would recommend a 'brick and mortar' school.'

Old 05-08-2009, 11:47 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post

I also found that the online program was more demanding because in addition to writing papers, I also had to submit work every week and I had to participate in a lot of in-depth discussions each week with my professor and peers. (Whereas when I participated in a 'brick and mortar' graduate program about 10 years earlier, I could just show up for class 1x or 2x a week and then just submit a paper at the end of the semester.) So, if you're going for a Master's, I would definately recommend an online school. '
Wow. I just wanted to say you were super lucky with your grad program. Mine almost killed me! Ha.

We took 12-16 hrs per term, 8 hours a day, 2 days a week, with full time internships 3 days a week for 3 semesters and a TON of work. I'm talking 100s of pages of reading, at least 5 papers a week with substantial papers due a few times a semester (20+ pages), full written exams, and a capstone project and thesis. Then, teaching and research assistanceship on top of that... I never had a week less than 80 hrs and I'm a total slacker... so others spent way more time on their work in my program. I'm still traumatized!!!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwana_b View Post
I have never posted on this educational thread. I am ususally on the relationship thread.
But please can you help me out...
I want to go to an online college called Kaplan University where I am told I can get a legit. BA degree.
I want to take a Registered Dietician course and get a BA in food science.
Does anyone have experience with online colleges and or Kaplan online college?
Any info will be of great help. I am affraid to sign up and it turn out to be a rip off. It is alot of money and about 5 years of school.
thank you
Like the others have said (and you've agreed to follow up with) I'd suggest looking into other options. I know of two online nutrition programs here in my state within the North Carolina system that also have on campus versions that are well established. Your transcripts will not reflect that your classes were online or that you received distance education. Unlike a degree from Kaplan which will always be identified by your employers as being an "online" degree.

There are many free online courses available and I'd recommend taking one of those or at least reviewing the material to make sure that this method fits your learning style. MIT and Johns Hopkins both have substantial amounts of information available... easily accessible online. It will be free and include video'd lectures and notes from multiple disciplines.

Online learning can be very helpful... I love it. I think it's great and allows for a more individualized experience. However, I feel that for some fields, it's just really not the best option. I wouldn't necessarily choose a psychologist or a dentist if I knew their only training came from a computer. I've taken enough online continuing education courses to know how easy it is to skip the curriculum, guess at the test, and pass the course.

Just remember that you are only going to get out of it what you put into it because you are your main teacher with this method.

Good luck and congrats on your decision to choose this career.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:43 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,675 times
I guess I have a couple of thoughts -

1. Online programs, unless they are tied to a university, don't have the best reputation. The exception to this is the Arizona one, which I don't think is terrible.

2. Online classes are harder than in-person classes! My husband prefers them but they are more work. The other factor is they can't see you so your grade is purely on your work. Meaning, they don't see you sitting in the front of the class, on time, paying attention....which I believe gives some students a boost.

3. A degree from anywhere >> a degree from no where. If you get the experience, no one will care where you went to school

Old 03-05-2010, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 18,541 times
Don't go to Kaplan University. I have spent more time on hold and being transferred to countless people than actually speaking with someone who can help. My advisor is a dumb*** who never responds to my voicemail, but still calls once a term to make sure everything is alright. Only one a term.... never responds to voicemails asking questions. Have only been able to speak to my financial advisor 3 times in 1 year. She, like my acedemic advisor is never ever available. So I leave a message- and we start this whole phone tag system again. Half of my professors didn't have working emails either. So your screwed if you have a question about anything. And the ones who did have email can take up to 2 days to wite you back....inconvenent when you only have a week to finish readings and homework and turn it in (not to mention juggleing waiting time, readings and homework with having a job or life outside school). Don't go to Kaplan University!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 04:00 PM

10 posts, read 19,721 times
Online college is a wate of time I believe. If there is no discipline in college life, then things will get harder.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:47 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,903 times
I believe that Online college does produce more disiplined students than a brick and mortar school. It is simple because when a time line is given the student must abide by the rules or else.

The no nonsense cirriculum for online colleges and universities is great. I dislike a brick and mortar professor yapping about this and that when most of his/her topic is there just to fill in the time for a brick and mortar degree. I like the idea online schools provide and it is to get the idea, write about it, get tested about the subject then get out.

Online colleges do provide a shorter term using a "no nonsense approach" to the course content. The required reading at times seems almost overwhelming. All students have to juggle with work, home life and school.

The weekly required reading was approximately 1/6th of the text book or reading approximately 45 pages a week prior to performing the course work. If a student did not understand the work then the Prof. was available via cell phone, email, or through the school's website. Profs. were available 5 times a week for 3.5-4 hours a night.

I believe there are accredited universities that do fulfill the students objectives. Therefore, online colleges are NOT a waste of time and if some people continue to believe untruths about any conline school. Perform a due dilligence and the facts may just change your mind....

The online college/university students must have disipline. Disipline is essential to complete then pass the course work... What does it take to achieve an A grade? It takes reformed disipline, good reading skills, good comprehension skills, execellent writing skills and productive team work along with having time available to set aside to assist other sudents that may not be able to understand the work. Never do another person's work or copy another paper and submit as you own work.....

Profs do have at their disposal a plagiarism site that reviews a paper in a few minutes....Every Prof. of mine did submit individual and team papers and some that chose to copy work were dropped from the school and given a failing grade...

Last edited by Synergy1; 03-05-2010 at 04:59 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 AM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,681 times
Just a note:

Western Governors University is NON-PROFIT.

Cheers,
Shanny

Old 03-06-2010, 07:19 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
I have taken all of my post-masters degree, continuing education courses online. My state required courses were from University of Alaska,; however, I have used Chapman University's online course a lot for re-certification requirements. I would much rather take a class at home at my leisure rather than have to go to an evening or weekend class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities