Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 AM

8 posts, read 8,600 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I wanna listen your advice on my case.I have an wife, american citizen. I met her on the summer of 2008 in US.We have applied green card for me; now the case is pending.Probably i will start working Turkey and next year I am gonna able to go US.
I'm studying chemical engineering.I'm going to graduate form Bogazici University in Turkey in June.It is the best engineering university in Turkey and has accrediation from-Accreditaion Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)."(http://www.boun.edu.tr/index_eng.html)".
My questions are:
If i have green card, can i work as an engineer in US? Do i need any other certificate or licence?
I also wonder since Bogazici University is not know much in US am i going to able to find a good chemical engineering job?

Thanks,
Gokhan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:52 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,910,074 times
Many US companies dont accept engineering degrees from other countries, unless they were American supported institutions. Why not work in the Middle East, plenty of engineering jobs there.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,320 times
The work visa HB1 is almost only given to people with high tech degrees. That's not gonna be a problem. Thousands of people did the same as you.

And yes, you can just work wherever you want with a green card.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Many US companies dont accept engineering degrees from other countries, unless they were American supported institutions. Why not work in the Middle East, plenty of engineering jobs there.
I thought so i may have problem with my engineering degree.But my wife is in US, she applied green card for me.As soon as possible i m planning to go US since we are expecting a baby...

Old 05-13-2009, 05:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
I don't know about engineering, but in the chem sciences, the US does accept degrees from other nations. At least for chem, I haven't seen people from Europe (ime, England, Italy, Swiss), China or India having any problems. The US does not acknowledge doctorates from Russia and I know that my company doesn't acknowledge them either.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokhankisabacak View Post
It is the best engineering university in Turkey and has accrediation from-Accreditaion Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)."(http://www.boun.edu.tr/index_eng.html)".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
My engineering school here in the US is accredited by ABET.

If the OP's university has the same accreditation it's likely that his degree would be accepted here.

Don't know what to say about the green card deal though. I've worked with quite a few foreign nationals at the few companies I've worked for. I don't know what hoops they had to jump through to get here.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
If the OP's university has the same accreditation it's likely that his degree would be accepted here.
When I checked the website of my university I found this information about ABET:
Faculty of Engineering (http://boun.edu.tr/undergraduate/engineering/faculty_engineering.html - broken link)

However i don't know whether it is the same ABET and how to check it.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,320 times
Yes, it is.

Quote:

All of the engineering programs were evaluated by ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology) in May 1998 for the first time and found to be "substantially equivalent" to accredited engineering programs in the United States.
But again, it dosen't matter. Thousands of foreign nationals come here every year with engineering degrees thorugh the work visa program.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
But again, it dosen't matter. Thousands of foreign nationals come here every year with engineering degrees thorugh the work visa program.
So I need a master degree to increase my chance to get a decent job in engineering or other job fields.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,283,527 times
Great school, Bogazici.

Perhaps a one-year Master's part-time or at night. There are a number of one-year Mech E Master's programs. Maybe ChemE has the same??

Surprised to see that private firms have such limits on foreign degrees, when engineering programs overseas can be far more rigorous. If it is a HR thing, then I find that extremely backwards. Or is it a legal issue?

If immediate employment is an issue, you might also consider work in programs in companies where you can put your engineering degree to work in positions other than ChemE. A large % of engineers work in fields outside of engineering. Many foreign nationals find that both odd and liberating about the US job market.

Good luck!
S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities