U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2009, 11:32 AM

13 posts, read 36,104 times

Advertisements

I graduated highschool last year took a little break from school and am now looking to go back... my problem is that i dont know what i want to do with my life career wise. im just looking for some tips on what would be good to look into for a good paying career. let me know ur thoughts
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 AM

9,000 posts, read 8,949,688 times
I wouldn't choose a career simply based on the income potential.
I would take some time and think about subjects that interest you or a career that would be fulfilling.

Choosing a career based on income potential is asking for trouble.

I would consider going to a community college for an Associate of Arts (it's basically the things you would study your first two years at a four year college and can be transferred) just to have some college classes under your belt and maybe along the way you will have figured it out.
Community college is much cheaper and you're not just shelling out a bunch of money at a four year college with no idea of what you want to do.

http://www.unl.edu/careers/explore/assess.shtml (broken link) might be of some help to you.

You can also do certain assessments that require certain passwords and such from your school once you get in college but the assessments listed should offer you some help.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:47 AM

19,081 posts, read 12,566,461 times
This may be too broad of a question, but if you could be anything, what would it be? That's what I asked myself after crossing out rock star, lottery winner, etc lol. Maybe you could make a list and then investigate each field.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:56 AM

9,000 posts, read 8,949,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
This may be too broad of a question, but if you could be anything, what would it be? That's what I asked myself after crossing out rock star, lottery winner, etc lol. Maybe you could make a list and then investigate each field.
Or 5 days out the week, I can see myself....for a paycheck.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 PM

i know it was a bit broad of a question the thing is, i can find joy in almost anything I do which makes it that much more difficult to decide what i would like to do as a career. I could see myself doing anything nothing has stood out to me yet I think I will take your advice on making a list and slowly filtering out the ones i can do without

Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,415,660 times
I'd suggest finding some career testing online or when you enroll in college. Its usually free at school and you can find the Strong Interest Inventory and the Meyers Briggs online for free if you look around enough (hint: google it and then find the links that lead you to college career counseling pages or state dept of labor pages).

If you have lots of interests, then you should be able to narrow it down somewhat from the tests and still be able to choose something that is going to pay the bills when you graduate.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:09 PM

19,081 posts, read 12,566,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Or 5 days out the week, I can see myself....for a paycheck.
Yea, can't do without it. I wish we had 4 day work weeks instead of 5, though.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:28 PM

3,456 posts, read 4,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmattx View Post
I graduated highschool last year took a little break from school and am now looking to go back... my problem is that i dont know what i want to do with my life career wise. im just looking for some tips on what would be good to look into for a good paying career. let me know ur thoughts
What subjects did you enjoy in high school? Was there any class in particular that you enjoyed going to or did well in? Science? Math? English? Foreign lang? This will make it easier for you to narrow it down as most careers are related to these subjects...
For example, if you like math, you could become an accountant or major in finance or engineering.
If you like English, you could major in that and teach. Or if you like writing you can consider journalism.
If you like science, you might consider medicine or pharmaceuticals.
If you have good people skills you can major in public relations or business (and go into sales.)
If you like foreign lang, you can major in that, and teach, or work for an embassy or the state department.
I agree that you might try taking some classes at a community college in the meantime. But I would first try to remember what (if any) courses you preferred in high school, and use that as a starting point.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
What subjects did you enjoy in high school? Was there any class in particular that you enjoyed going to or did well in? Science? Math? English? Foreign lang? This will make it easier for you to narrow it down as most careers are related to these subjects...
For example, if you like math, you could become an accountant or major in finance or engineering.
If you like English, you could major in that and teach. Or if you like writing you can consider journalism.
If you like science, you might consider medicine or pharmaceuticals.
If you have good people skills you can major in public relations or business (and go into sales.)
If you like foreign lang, you can major in that, and teach, or work for an embassy or the state department.
I agree that you might try taking some classes at a community college in the meantime. But I would first try to remember what (if any) courses you preferred in high school, and use that as a starting point.

thanks good way to think about it thats actually did kinda help me i really enjoyed science in school and im a really good people person

Old 05-16-2009, 02:08 PM

50,039 posts, read 42,397,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmattx View Post
Good paying isn't the only thing to consider, what do you like to do? Where are your talents, what type of a personality do you have?

The best for you at this time would be to consentrate on your base required classes. In a year or so you may have a better idea as to what will work for you? Of course the business management career is always a good way to go, anything in the medical field will pay well, but I don't think I would encourage my kids to become teachers. Fewer people are having kids, many couples are choosing to have only 1 or 2 kids thus there isn't a need for teacher like in decades past. Many teachers are having trouble even finding jobs.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities