U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:05 PM

16,623 posts, read 13,373,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktanner View Post
Never thought of greek life as a Southern thing. Yet, you often do see frat boys and sorority girls dressed up at football games on Saturday. By the way, what is the deal with frat boys dressing in a suit and tie but wearing flip flops?
Let's say you want to adhere to your institution's tradition of wearing a necktie to football games. (I don't know anyone who wears a suit)

Let's also say it is 93 degrees in the shade, and you want to remain as comfortable as possible while adhering to said tradition.

Let's also say that you wear flip-flops the other 6 days of the week, so why not Saturday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:39 AM

59 posts, read 121,450 times
Greek life is very big in the South. Especially on black college campuses. We have about 9,000 students at Jackson State University and we have 9 fraternities and sororities. It is a very big deal. Around here, kids know what fraternity or sorority they want to join while they are in elementary school.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:55 PM

2,522 posts, read 2,669,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSvirgo View Post
Greek life is very big in the South. Especially on black college campuses. We have about 9,000 students at Jackson State University and we have 9 fraternities and sororities. It is a very big deal. Around here, kids know what fraternity or sorority they want to join while they are in elementary school.
Talk about taking things a little bit too far. I would think that intelligent college students would want to select their fraternity by getting to know it's members through the rush process.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 AM

9,995 posts, read 13,976,810 times
^ While I agree with that in premise, it doesn't really work with today's Greek system. In the South, anyway, it seems like many people do it for reasons relating to tradition, family or otherwise; I'm guessing many of these students probably know their ideal fraternity or sorority based on family ties or other similar reasons. Also, this wouldn't be an issue for really young kids knowing about the system before going through rush, but I've read that traditionally black sororities and fraternities have some very big differences than the traditionally white system, including a stronger focus on active community engagement (maybe some of the kids want to join certain sororites or fraternities because they see the members volunteering in their schools or neighborhoods?) and more openness in general beyond the rush period.

Still, I agree that I wouldn't want to join a sorority or fraternity chapter without meeting the specific members of that chapter. Of course I don't live in the South, don't have Greek family members, and rarely even encounter any conversation about the Greek system one way or the other, let alone the pros and cons of different options or what impact that would have had (none) on my future career or life.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 AM

59 posts, read 121,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
^ While I agree with that in premise, it doesn't really work with today's Greek system. In the South, anyway, it seems like many people do it for reasons relating to tradition, family or otherwise; I'm guessing many of these students probably know their ideal fraternity or sorority based on family ties or other similar reasons. Also, this wouldn't be an issue for really young kids knowing about the system before going through rush, but I've read that traditionally black sororities and fraternities have some very big differences than the traditionally white system, including a stronger focus on active community engagement (maybe some of the kids want to join certain sororites or fraternities because they see the members volunteering in their schools or neighborhoods?) and more openness in general beyond the rush period.

Still, I agree that I wouldn't want to join a sorority or fraternity chapter without meeting the specific members of that chapter. Of course I don't live in the South, don't have Greek family members, and rarely even encounter any conversation about the Greek system one way or the other, let alone the pros and cons of different options or what impact that would have had (none) on my future career or life.
You are right about how the black fraternities and sororities are very active in the community. That is the reason why so many children know who they want to pledge when they become college students. We already know about the chapters because somebody in our family or one of our friends are affiliated with them. There are only 9 black fraternities and sororities, and they are just about on every black college campus in the South. They are even on some of the predominately white campuses too, like Ole Miss and Mississippi State. We love how each fraternity and sorority is represented. We love the step shows and how they represent each other at the football games and through other activities on campus. They are very active in health fairs, Habitat for Humanity and other programs like that. Greeks are looked upon highly down here. Being "Greek" also runs in the family. It's a way of life down here. Matter of fact, our car tags here in Mississippi can be personalized with your college's name and mascot and your fraternity and sorority. To be honest, I thought Greek life was the same all over.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:20 PM

16,623 posts, read 13,373,558 times
Where I went to school, we actually had two different rush periods - "Rush" for the traditionally white fraternities, "Intake" for the traditionally black fraternities. I always thought this was sort of weird.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 PM

1,652 posts, read 4,745,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Talk about taking things a little bit too far. I would think that intelligent college students would want to select their fraternity by getting to know it's members through the rush process.

Black frats and sororities are completely different from their traditionally white counterparts. Like, my mom is an Alpha Kappa Alpha (AKA) and if she would have had a daughter, if she rush/pledged, she would have to join AKA.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:04 PM

2,522 posts, read 2,669,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Black frats and sororities are completely different from their traditionally white counterparts. Like, my mom is an Alpha Kappa Alpha (AKA) and if she would have had a daughter, if she rush/pledged, she would have to join AKA.
There are legacies in all (woman's) fraternities, but seriously, wouldn't your hypothetical sister have preferred to have had a say in her possible affiliation? Each chapter has a distinct feel and dynamic with each incoming class.

The other thing I don't understand about traditionally black sororities and fraternities is the strong need to be identified with that group at, say, age 45. I understand the networking potential for job possibilities, but some of the other "traditions" are truly foreign to me.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:49 PM

58 posts, read 91,640 times
I didn't care for the greek system before I came to Georgia Tech, but once here I realized that if I don't join a fraternity then I will be stuck in my dorm room with people playing videogames all day. I quickly pledged and do not regret it at all. At GT, the fraternities are the only social outlets we have since we do not have access to a "collegy downtown bar scene" like UGA.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:28 PM

626 posts, read 890,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem89 View Post
I didn't care for the greek system before I came to Georgia Tech, but once here I realized that if I don't join a fraternity then I will be stuck in my dorm room with people playing videogames all day. I quickly pledged and do not regret it at all. At GT, the fraternities are the only social outlets we have since we do not have access to a "collegy downtown bar scene" like UGA.
This was sort of the point I was going to make, but I wasn't going to touch Atlanta as an example.

I believe they're big in the South because many of the major college campuses down here are in the country. Students feel like they have to join, or be bored. For example, the percentage of students enrolled in Greeks organizations was much lower at my college vs other ones of similar size in our conference, I believe because our city was one of the largest in the league. There are simply other choices in bigger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities