Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM

623 posts, read 1,541,987 times

Advertisements

And I agree with many of the other posters, its a tradition.

White frats and sororites absolutely have legacy members. Whenever you see a frat boy that looks like a fish out of water in the group, there's a good chance the boys accepted him for other reasons than enjoying his unique ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
There are legacies in all (woman's) fraternities, but seriously, wouldn't your hypothetical sister have preferred to have had a say in her possible affiliation? Each chapter has a distinct feel and dynamic with each incoming class.

The other thing I don't understand about traditionally black sororities and fraternities is the strong need to be identified with that group at, say, age 45. I understand the networking potential for job possibilities, but some of the other "traditions" are truly foreign to me.

The black organizations pretty much stay the same from campus to campus.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,068 times
Default dating

why do sorority girls only date guys that are in a fraternity? that's so inmature and shallow.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naomisday View Post
University of Southern California has a large Greek system as well....which was a shock
to my Sister...who wasn't into that system

In general it is a Southern thing..but USC has a high percentage
You are right, but it's also a big Midwestern thing...Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, etc.

In the South, you can tell it's a big deal and it seems to be tradition. It's a big deal at USC in SoCal, too, as if the "silver spoons" weren't enough!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
First let me say that I don't dislike the South, but it is an area that has many unique and distintive traits. This happens to be one of them.

My Southern friends think of themselves as "not typicaslly Southern" and I think they are right in some ways but there are some things that even they share with other Southerners.

The south seems to thrive on tradition and ceremony. That is not a bad thing. It just is.
I went to college in the North East in the late 70s and by the time I arrived there were no Frats or Sororities left. Actually there was one, but I don't know anyone who was a member. My Southern generational counterparts still have reunions with their Sorority Sisters. I do that with former room mates and dorm mates.

It really goes along with the Southern love of "Pomp and Circumstance" - not the song, but that genera; theme.
Southerners love Beauty Pageants, church attendance, over the top gardens, dressing up, the military, and legacies. Really, anything handed down generation to generation stirs excitement in the Southern heart. They also love the military, and regardless of their politics, a person in uniform and all of the symbolism and ritual associated with the military is very well loved there.

History is important to Southerners, as is story telling. It is not surprising that many of our country's best writers hail from the South.

I think that this all ties in together. Traditions, ceremonies, pageantry, belonging and heraldry all seem to relate to frats.

That's my take.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
First let me say that I don't dislike the South, but it is an area that has many unique and distintive traits. This happens to be one of them.

My Southern friends think of themselves as "not typicaslly Southern" and I think they are right in some ways but there are some things that even they share with other Southerners.

The south seems to thrive on tradition and ceremony. That is not a bad thing. It just is.
I went to college in the North East in the late 70s and by the time I arrived there were no Frats or Sororities left. Actually there was one, but I don't know anyone who was a member. My Southern generational counterparts still have reunions with their Sorority Sisters. I do that with former room mates and dorm mates.

It really goes along with the Southern love of "Pomp and Circumstance" - not the song, but that genera; theme.
Southerners love Beauty Pageants, church attendance, over the top gardens, dressing up, the military, and legacies. Really, anything handed down generation to generation stirs excitement in the Southern heart. They also love the military, and regardless of their politics, a person in uniform and all of the symbolism and ritual associated with the military is very well loved there.

History is important to Southerners, as is story telling. It is not surprising that many of our country's best writers hail from the South.

I think that this all ties in together. Traditions, ceremonies, pageantry, belonging and heraldry all seem to relate to frats.

That's my take.
Various southern college towns are liberal which goes against some of your thoughts.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:25 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
They are. University og GA @ Athens and Austin in TX come to mind. But the poster asked for an answer in general, not about exceptions to the rule.

I do think there is a sort of connection between these traditional and ceremonial interests that appear to abound in the south, and frats. No harm intended. Just a simple observation.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Sheena

Good observations

Let me add to your list that Southerners are all about Relationships. My former boss from NY married a KY woman and he was totally observant of the culture and life style and was most happy with his decision.

Once, I mentioned my cousin's wife's brother and he understood. That is when he mentioned the adherence to relationships in the south. I had never thought of it before.

But true

Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
They are. University og GA @ Athens and Austin in TX come to mind. But the poster asked for an answer in general, not about exceptions to the rule.

I do think there is a sort of connection between these traditional and ceremonial interests that appear to abound in the south, and frats. No harm intended. Just a simple observation.
Gainesville and Chapel Hill are two others. I would say the majority of southern towns with a big public are liberal.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:42 PM

380 posts, read 961,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Classy.

Agreed with the poster who wrote that there are just as many organizations in the north... they just aren't necessarily Greek-affiliated... which is almost worse because they are typically individual and not supervised by a national board.

A lot of good comes out of Greek systems for some kids. Philanthropy is a core concept and trust, fellowship, leadership, sense of respect and pride for community, etc, etc.

Those are the same ideals shared in Southern culture... so it's a natural fit for a lot of us who are natives and choose education in this area.
Talk about remedial. We wait until college to learn these values??? Yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities