Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
You should really rethink this. The best time to join.
My understanding is that the pledge process is pretty time consuming. I know from my oldest, now a college grad, that his schedule of classes did not lend itself to committing the hours necessary to do it.

My neighbor's son spent so much time trying to get into a fraternity in his WV school that he flunked out by the Christmas break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
My understanding is that the pledge process is pretty time consuming. I know from my oldest, now a college grad, that his schedule of classes did not lend itself to committing the hours necessary to do it.

My neighbor's son spent so much time trying to get into a fraternity in his WV school that he flunked out by the Christmas break.
I was able to make good grades (almost a 4.0) during pledging. It really isn't that bad. I guess every school and every student is different, however. Pledging sophomore year puts him in a disadvantage, imo. The course load will be even tougher then.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
So being a member of fraternity makes you a douchebag? Wow. Pretty sure I had a great group of buddies (even now), ample fun, was able to get good access the academic aid, scholarships, etc. The benefits are great. I don't see why you'd put it down.

(btw: Northern fraternities....aren't the same... not all bad but some seem to be more Animal House like, dress up less, wear gel in their hair, Jersey beach, etc.)
lol no... it is just a joke. There are good and bad, I am sure you know some other fraternities, possibly within your own school that fit the stereotype.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:55 AM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol no... It is just a joke. There are good and bad, i am sure you know some other fraternities, possibly within your own school that fit the stereotype.
PIKEs.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I went to a small northern liberal arts college where there was a Greek life, but it wasn't pervasive at all, it was just another club, group, activity. They were also not national organizations, they were ones that, despite having long histories and legacies at the school itself, were simply organizations specific to the school...no nationally chartered orgs (the sole exception would be the chapter of the national service fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, but that's totally different, obv.). Very much unlike the systems at larger schools/southern schools. It wasn't the huge part of college life that it is some other places, it was just one of many options for extracurricular activities. It also wasn't overly focused on, even by those involved. I did about a semester in one org and went inactive, because I was already active in other non-Greek campus organizations that were better social outlets for me and of more interest. Not all schools have a heavily traditional Greek life.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 PM

18 posts, read 41,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Some colleges really embrace the Greek system and some don't.

Huh??

Old 05-28-2009, 11:03 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
But then again, there are quite a few Southern Hipsters who shun them- especially at state schools such as VCU in Richmond , and U. of Georgia in Athens.
UGA- non-fraternity??? That school is second only to Washington and Lee and Wofford in terms of almost needing a fraternity/sorority to make friends from what people I know have told me. Also when every single body is in a fraternity it really broadens what they are/gets rid of the more narrower definitions most people have.

Oddly- between half-siblings, a sister and myelf- I was the only non-greek. MIT and Loyal-Marymount (CA) were the schools the Greek siblings attended. Supposedly Notre Dame did not allow fraternities when the half brother attended (we have a pretty big age split as two marraiges and my being a huge shock are part of the equation- so they might allow them now.) I went to Clemson (SC) and did not join because it did not particularly suit me and was looked down upon by most professors in my major. Looking back I almost wish I had but am not really upset I did not. I ended up with a pretty decent number of Greek friends anyway.

I will say if you pledge it is most beneficial to do it early. All my buddies who did were pretty well served by the study halls and always having someone on tap who had been in the classes before them. It also wraps a lot of activities into one nice package since they always had intramural teams, parties, etc with someone else doing the planning. And when we graduated they had an easy way to track down the people a couple of years ahead in their field. This would not have been as big of a benefit for me though since I am not in a typically corporate field.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:17 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
What is an approximation of the costs involved in fraternity life (not including living in a fraternity house)?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:36 PM

193 posts, read 534,834 times
Never thought of greek life as a Southern thing. Yet, you often do see frat boys and sorority girls dressed up at football games on Saturday. By the way, what is the deal with frat boys dressing in a suit and tie but wearing flip flops?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
What is an approximation of the costs involved in fraternity life (not including living in a fraternity house)?
It depends on the fraternity and the school, and if there is an actual fraternity house involved. Even if the person does not live in the house, all members help pay the bills for light, heat, a/c, wear and tear etc. (this item is also called a "parlor fee"). If the house serves meals, then there is the cost for that, and often new members/pledges are required to come to a certain number of meals per week.

And are you talking about a fraternity or sorority? Many sororities are legally named "women's fraternities" as the word "sorority" is a fairly modern invention.

Either way, the first year is the most expensive. In addition to member dues & fees, there are usually new member pledging fees, initiation fees and the cost of a badge. Also the new member will want to buy T shirts & pictures, and there might be a contribution to the philanthropy. None of this is incredibly expensive - maybe a couple hundred for the initiation fee, down to $15 or so for a T shirt - but it does add up.

Once the pledge year is complete, the costs are fairly low, possibly even less than living in a dorm.

Check your school's Greek Life page. It should be within the Student Life section of the Web site. The info is usually posted with the "sign up for recruitment" info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities