Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times

Advertisements

The school I went to in the South banned Greek organizations altogether and had harsh sanctions for students who covertly formed them. It really depends on the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 03:51 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Gainesville and Chapel Hill are two others. I would say the majority of southern towns with a big public are liberal.
I agree
Charlottesville is another example as is Boone.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The school I went to in the South banned Greek organizations altogether and had harsh sanctions for students who covertly formed them. It really depends on the school.
As it should be. Two prominent schools that ban them are Rice and Notre Dame. Rice actually provides for this in its founding statement, and I believe it includes the world "elitist." Aside from Notre Dame, it's real hit-and-miss with Catholic universities...some have them, and some don't.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Good grief! People have noted that many southern university towns are liberal. But very few of the undergrads attending schools in these towns are from the towns themselves. For example: Chapel Hill is very liberal. But very few UNC-CH students are from (born and raised) in Chapel Hill -- rather, they come from all over the state. Same for Austin, Charlottesville, and so forth . . .

Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Good grief! People have noted that many southern university towns are liberal. But very few of the undergrads attending schools in these towns are from the towns themselves. For example: Chapel Hill is very liberal. But very few UNC-CH students are from (born and raised) in Chapel Hill -- rather, they come from all over the state. Same for Austin, Charlottesville, and so forth . . .
The towns would reflect what Sheena talked about if that is what the majority of students represented. As already noted the Greek system is a very small part of student population. Her description fits college towns/students in Alabama/South Carolina/Mississippi much better than concluding it's ALL of the south.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
I don't equate liberal with NOT having a Greek system. UNC, UVa, and UT have huge Greek systems. For that matter, America's historically most liberal campus, Berkeley, has a significant Greek presence as well.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:28 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,215,364 times
When I was in college in the mid-90s, I felt that most fraternities and sororities were nothing but cliquish clubs designed for nothing more than to provide friends to individuals intent on drinking alcohol and having cheap access to sexual encounters. I found most people who went "Greek" to be very immature.

I went to a university in the south known for a popular "Greek" system.

Last edited by Stars&StripesForever; 04-02-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 04-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
When I was college in the mid-90s, I felt that most fraternities and sororities were nothing but cliquish clubs designed for nothing more than to provide friends to individuals intent on drinking alcohol and having cheap access to sexual encounters. I found most people who went "Greek" to be very immature.

I went to a university in the south known for a popular "Greek" system.
Don't many also screen for "appearance" and "wealth," at least in the sororities? While I understand how they could thrive at a public or private non-sectarian university, I certainly don't understand how colleges with a religious bent (Villanova in PA, Baylor in TX, etc.) allow them, since splicing and dicing the student body by socioeconomic criteria counters the values they try to promulgate.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 PM

374 posts, read 812,189 times
When I went to the University of Arkansas, all the rich kids from the Delta cotton country were in the fraternities and sororities. **** kickers like me from the hill country didn't like buying our friends. Just like a hundred and fifty years ago we didn't like buying our farm hands.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi1 View Post
why do sorority girls only date guys that are in a fraternity? that's so inmature and shallow.
To answer the person who bumped this 3-year-old thread...sorority girls do NOT only date fraternity guys.
Apparently...just the girl that you're concerned about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities