Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Lesser UC or Cal State
Cal State is better 2 3.51%
About equal 13 22.81%
UC is better/stronger 32 56.14%
UC is worlds apart better 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
I got accepted into UC Berkeley but I changed my major and chose to go to CSU East Bay instead because they had my major and the UC didnt. So I think it depends on what you are majoring in.
Always...here in FL, FSU isn't offering exactly what I want...doesn't have the right professors etc... So transferring after one semester as a transient.

If you are going to spend money, especially on grad school... better be the exact program you want. While some schools might be more prestigious overall, there are several smaller less prestigious schools, which will have a certain professor, a certain program which is much better or fine tuned and less generalized, evaluates you differently, better job prospects, better placement, etc. etc. than other schools can offer.

While it would be easier for me to stay here and finish earlier... I'll take my chances and wait a year to get in state tuition in California for the better schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
I got accepted into UC Berkeley but I changed my major and chose to go to CSU East Bay instead because they had my major and the UC didnt. So I think it depends on what you are majoring in.
"CSU East Bay" do you mean CSU San Francisco?

Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 PM

251 posts, read 767,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
"CSU East Bay" do you mean CSU San Francisco?
no, csu east bay as in csu hayward. they changed their name a few years back.

i thought it was san francisco state not csu san francisco.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
The University of Cal system is the best in the world- the state college system was never intended to be as good and never will be. Even the lessor UC schools still have similar requirements as Berkeley.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:39 AM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,760,963 times
It depends on what you want to study... Cal Poly SLO and Cal Poly Pomona beats the lesser UCs in engineering and architecture...

Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
I have some questions about the UC system...if anyone can answer (thanks).

Do Cal and UCLA have any special status among their peer institutions other than their reputation or quality of education? Does UC handle them differently in any way than the other universities?

How big is the gap between Cal and UCLA and those highly regarded UC's that come afterwards like UCSD, UCSB, and UCD?

Can a school as new as Merced truly offer a UC quality education?

Since UCLA has a major medical school, wouldn't UC have been better off if it had kept the medical complex under Mt. Sutro in its original role as Cal's medical school rather than creating a separate institution throughly related to the medical sciences in UCSF?

Have any CSUs been considered to be changed into UC's?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 AM

According to the best sources - London Times survey - chronicle of higher education - Cal is almost always considered the top public university in the world. It is also in the top 3 every year for colleges that do the most for our country according to Washington Monthly ( MIT and Texas A&M are usually up there too).

UCLA is a notch below - perhaps 10-20 - still an excellent school.

The Pac 10 schools, Big Ten schools ( Michigan- Indiana - Wisc etc) as well as Virgina and North Carolina make up the better public universities.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:37 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
According to the best sources - London Times survey - chronicle of higher education - Cal is almost always considered the top public university in the world. It is also in the top 3 every year for colleges that do the most for our country according to Washington Monthly ( MIT and Texas A&M are usually up there too).

UCLA is a notch below - perhaps 10-20 - still an excellent school.

The Pac 10 schools, Big Ten schools ( Michigan- Indiana - Wisc etc) as well as Virgina and North Carolina make up the better public universities.
in the Big Ten, that would definitely be U of I and not IU.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 AM

edsg Just an example - both Indiana Univ and U of Illinois are good schools-I doubt there's much difference - depends more on one's major. Northwestern shouldn't be left out either. Michigan State is the best in the area in criminal justice- it just depends.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:20 PM

251 posts, read 767,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Can a school as new as Merced truly offer a UC quality education?
from what was explained to me about uc merced is that they are trying to be the alternate of uc berkeley.

same semester schedule and tailored to be be similar in cal with respect to the academics.

of course, merced opened in 2005 so only time will tell if they will become this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities