Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Blame babies.

I never once heard my parents blame the architects of the Great Depression for the travails they had to endure during those years. They were given lemons and made lemonade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 06:13 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I never once heard my parents blame the architects of the Great Depression for the travails they had to endure during those years. They were given lemons and made lemonade.
And just how old where your parents during the depression? Your parents were likely kids during the depression, most of their working lives were spent in relatively good times.

You need to look at how the people born in the early 1800's thought to get a real comparison to today's Gen-X. My great-grandpa did not have a particularly rosy view of the "architects of the great depression".

Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
okay no offense but the baby boomer generation is the 1st GENERATION EVER to make the next generation have it worse
worse- as in from the depression/
Now what do you baby boomers reccomend the generation x gets in a degree.
Psychology, sociology, business adminstration, journalism, anthropology,art history, humanities ARE a BIG NO FOR me especially with the economy im going to have to face soon.

What do u guys reccomend? i really need your help.

Being a "boomer' myself, I would recommend something in the medical field, and or hospital admin. Another would be in assisted living facilities. And since there are going to be a lot of us dying off soon, why not the mortician field.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And just how old where your parents during the depression? Your parents were likely kids during the depression, most of their working lives were spent in relatively good times.
Yes, my parents were young, but of working age.

How about we focus on their parents? Same story, no blame game, lemonade from lemons. I had plenty of opportunity to hear the blame game if they were wont to participate in it, as I grew up in the same town as all four grandparents, two of whom made it to 97 and 102.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You need to look at how the people born in the early 1800's thought to get a real comparison to today's Gen-X. My great-grandpa did not have a particularly rosy view of the "architects of the great depression".
Your great-grandpa was born in the early 1800s and was alive for the Great Depression? Good genes there, bud.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
okay no offense but the baby boomer generation is the 1st GENERATION EVER to make the next generation have it worse
worse- as in from the depression/
Now what do you baby boomers reccomend the generation x gets in a degree.
Psychology, sociology, business adminstration, journalism, anthropology,art history, humanities ARE a BIG NO FOR me especially with the economy im going to have to face soon.

What do u guys reccomend? i really need your help.
There's always the healthcare field. I received a BA in Anthropology. While my studies were interesting, it is not at all practical right now. I'm now finding myself having to go back to college to get a healthcare related degree.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
But not every high school student is cut out for a four year college degree with many lacking the temperament but not brains.

Thank goodness for this too because we don't need every other person possessing a degree in psychology rendering that degree even more useless than what it is. The only thing I can think that would be worse is 30 million people with BA degrees in art appreciation.

What do they do?

Community college are good but most of them don't go far enough into todays world. There are lots of other things to do besides work with computers, work in a medical field or fix cars.

Community college - Little Bates Community College in Tacoma, Washington has a program my industry is really excited about.

Fire Protection Engineering Technology

Quote:
Fire Protection Engineering Technicians use the latest technology to design and draft Fire Protection Systems and estimate costs for the installation of fire protection systems.
It's an extremely small class but every student has several job offers, starting around $30,000, before they graduate and since most companies are union the benefits are always excellent.

Three years after finishing school, and passing the NICET tests for Level III certification, the certified tech will make at least $50,000 a year anywhere he goes and will have a job position where he is always first hired, last fired. Even today enjoys a 100% employment rate.

Job security is great, where I work I can not be laid off. Everyone else can be laid off, the HR people can be laid off, all the installers can be laid off, the salesman can be laid off and the secretaries can be laid off but not me. I'll be the last man standing.

I got lucky, I got into this field long ago and as a senior technician (no college at all) if I lost my job today I would have another paying at least $70K within five days and this is flyoverville. It is that tight.

I can also "freelance" out of my home using the spare bedroom and computer making at least $800 a week in the hardest of times. Job market for certified techs in this field has always been extremely tight and for many reasons it's going to be a whole lot tighter in 5 to 10 more years.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Smart one we have here. Degrees in psychology, sociology, business administration, journalism, anthropology,art history and the humanities are nearly worthless as far as obtaining a good paying job.
My niece... 29 years old, 4 year Anthro degree... working in a used clothing store.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:15 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My niece... 29 years old, 4 year Anthro degree... working in a used clothing store.
This is a failure of the education system.

Who failed to tell her jobs would be nearly non-existant and she'd probably end up working ina used clothing store to pay off her $60,000 student loan?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 AM

No loan to worry about.... her parents paid for it.

Back then, I told her she was going after a degree in a field that would be hard to find a job in, and would be one of the first fields to experience unemployment during down cycles.

She's never had to worry about the getting fired part, because she's never had a job in her field of study since graduating.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,663,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
This is a failure of the education system.

Who failed to tell her jobs would be nearly non-existant and she'd probably end up working ina used clothing store to pay off her $60,000 student loan?
But you see, this is the SUCCESS of the education system. Do you expect the tenured professors and administrators to level with the hungry student and tell them the pursuit of said piece of paper is not economically viable? Like Pontius Pilatus, they just wash their hands of that burden and enjoy the spoils. They are the worst of rent-seekers.

If students and parents didn't validate the racket these people wouldn't have their jobs. I don't expect these people to fall on their own sword, we have to impale their jobs for them. If these people don't owe the students anything, then we don't owe these people their ability to be overpaid or even be employed.

There's two possible outcomes. 1)Don't go to college and avoid ending up in the red when the employment you attain as a function of said piece of paper doesn't clear the waterline, or 2) make it so that college (the high school diploma of the 21st century) cost whats a high school diploma costs $0. Then you would be no worse off with that free underwater basketweaving degree than if you had foregone college and attempted to enter the workforce with just a highschool diploma and no debt. Outcomes outside these two possibilities, you're on a losing game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities