Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
But you see, this is the SUCCESS of the education system. Do you expect the tenured professors and administrators to level with the hungry student and tell them the pursuit of said piece of paper is not economically viable? Like Pontius Pilatus, they just wash their hands of that burden and enjoy the spoils. They are the worst of rent-seekers.
Excellent point.

I never went to college but my daughter did. I made sure she went.

I also paid for it all. I paid room, board, tuition, books, car expenses and spending money ($100 per week) to the tune of $20,000 a year for four years.

I did this because I love her and wanted her to have all the tools she needed to live life as a strong, free and independent woman.

But since I was paying for it I had the right to input one condition. You can minor in anything you want but your major must be in a field where we would both agree pay was good and jobs historically plentiful.

Dad wasn't college educated but this old war horse has been around the lock a few times.

I'm not a control freak but seeing as how it was my $20k a year I felt I had a right to a little input.

She did, she finished, lived on her own for a few years even buying her own house and then she got married.

Just because our kids are going to college doesn't mean they are so smart they don't need our level headed input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:51 AM

303 posts, read 1,561,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
okay no offense but the baby boomer generation is the 1st GENERATION EVER to make the next generation have it worse
worse- as in from the depression/
Now what do you baby boomers reccomend the generation x gets in a degree.
Psychology, sociology, business adminstration, journalism, anthropology,art history, humanities ARE a BIG NO FOR me especially with the economy im going to have to face soon.

What do u guys reccomend? i really need your help.
I think you just answered your own question.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why would you want to know what the Boomer's recommend? They are towards the end of their working life.
Ouch! I'm a boomer and will probably work 20 more years.

We Boomers were the people that started the green revolution, the ones that brought pollution to everyone's attention and started the organic movement. We also broke the mold saying that you don't have to be an engineer or a plumber if you are a man or a teacher or a nurse if you are a woman. So, what should the new generation look for in jobs? Find your passion, figure out how to make a living doing it and go for it.

There is no one size fits all.

You can change your mind too!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Ouch! I'm a boomer and will probably work 20 more years.

We Boomers were the people that started the green revolution, the ones that brought pollution to everyone's attention and started the organic movement. We also broke the mold saying that you don't have to be an engineer or a plumber if you are a man or a teacher or a nurse if you are a woman. So, what should the new generation look for in jobs? Find your passion, figure out how to make a living doing it and go for it.

There is no one size fits all.

You can change your mind too!
We also made personal computers readily available, invented the internet and gave you the i-pod.

Back when I was young we didn't have any of these things so we had to invent them to give them to you.

We also stopped segregation in the south and next time you enjoy one of your spacious university buildings remember it was our tax dollars that built it.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Personally, I think a double major in Business and English with a writing emphasis would be the very best combination. Engineering and Computer Programming would run a very close second. The other thing that one poster doesn't consider is that the Humanities actually hone one's ability to think abstractly and to absorb large amounts of abstract information, something that is really absent from the career-driven curricula. So while computer sciences or engineering majors will almost invariably earn more money at the beginning of their careers, a humanities major who applies themselves to the world of business will most likely surpass them by the time they reach their 40s. I see it all the time. Lots of computer science majors are twenty years into their careers working the graveyard shift or knocking out code, having little career progress from the day they left college.

But with a good business background you have the flexibility to work in any number of different fields. That being said, the ability to express oneself clearly and effectively is an incredible rarity in the business world. A seriously strong ability to write well would put you far, far ahead of the pack.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Personally, I think a double major in Business and English .....
I'll get flamed here but I think the degree is business is one of the more worthless degrees ranking right up there with art appreciation and drama.

"A degree in business". Exactly what the hell does that mean?

At one time I owned a small business running between 15 and 25 employees with an average payroll of $15,000 to $18,000 a week in 1990 dollars.

I never went bankrupt and never owed a dime I didn't pay back in full within terms.

I'm just a small guy but after paying a payroll for 15 years what is some 24 year old with a BA going to tell me that I need to know that I don't already know?

Then there's the business ran by two brothers, each barely out of high school, that started in the early 70's ending up in 2000 with over 1,000 employees in four faciliites in three states. These brothers started as customers and ended being good friends and while both were bright neither had a degree. What's some 25 year old kid with a BA degree going to tell them that they don't already know?

GM just loved their MBA's.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
The first thing is to understand and decide that no one other than you is responsible for your future. Start by learning to actually think on your own and make decisions you are responsible for. There are alot of your generation that has done this with successs thus the widening gap between incomes. The bommers really didn't get their start until their mid twenties because of the vietnam war but whatt they did do was more than any other generation ;start and run successful businesses of their own. This provided middle income jobs to other boomers just as their fathers and grandfathers did.It also provided for a growing number od upoer middle income jo0bs like not seen before.What is on the way down and what is the new jobs as always been there. Its just that so many in this genration don't want to risk or work towards the industries to replace those industries. If your gen eration is smart and intelligent as it says then they will have no problem ;otherwise other in the world in your generation will do it that are more motivated.Just a clue iots has nothign to do with voting any wealth;it involves hard work.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 116,702 times
Just follow your passion. Think about career future and potential, but don't make that the deciding factor. Find something you enjoy doing, or else you will be stuck doing something you hate for the rest of your life. Find your passion in life.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:57 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,392,304 times
I think you need a better grasp on history, but I will say that the need for health care related jobs will continue to increase with an aging population. But then after those derogatory comments about boomers, maybe that wouldn't be the best recommendation for you.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:09 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I'll get flamed here but I think the degree is business is one of the more worthless degrees ranking right up there with art appreciation and drama.

"A degree in business". Exactly what the hell does that mean?

At one time I owned a small business running between 15 and 25 employees with an average payroll of $15,000 to $18,000 a week in 1990 dollars.

I never went bankrupt and never owed a dime I didn't pay back in full within terms.

I'm just a small guy but after paying a payroll for 15 years what is some 24 year old with a BA going to tell me that I need to know that I don't already know?

Then there's the business ran by two brothers, each barely out of high school, that started in the early 70's ending up in 2000 with over 1,000 employees in four faciliites in three states. These brothers started as customers and ended being good friends and while both were bright neither had a degree. What's some 25 year old kid with a BA degree going to tell them that they don't already know?

GM just loved their MBA's.
Well, as somebody who built a substantial business and sold it with nothing but an English degree, I would agree with your premise to a point. A biz degree is not the end-all, be-all. And, in the hands of someone who's only 25, an MBA just means that you might be trusted with a box of kitchen matches. That being said, a BS in biz does give you a broad understanding of biz principles that a degree such as BS in finance or accounting does not. To me, that's the value, particularly if you are in a smaller organization where general knowledge is far more important than depth in any one area.

Where I take issue with you is your statement that it's worthless. I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain concepts such as Adjusted Gross Income, market share, ROI, and any number of concepts to somebody who didn't have a biz degree. Having a conceptual, if not working, understanding of those fundamentals eliminates the learning curve.

And I'm also not saying that a person straight out of college comes in and starts running a show. Nope. What I'm saying is that a biz degree gives you the basic understanding of all the interlocking parts. What you do with it from there is all up to you. Meanwhile, someone with an engineering degree or a computer science degree will most likely go to work in some very large organization and never have responsibility over profit and loss, and almost never be exposed to the areas that ultimately are strategic corporate functions such as finance and marketing. To be sure, in a very technically driven company, they'll have more of a say-so, but it's still the generalists who will most likely be running the show.

Oh, and yeah, I loved dealing with freshly minted MBAs. I typically ate them for lunch.

One last thing that I wanted to agree with. Ten years after you graduate, it really doesn't matter what your degree is in 95% of most jobs. What's important is that you pursue opportunities with passion and determination. For if you love what you do, you'll be good at it, and if you're good at it, the money will follow---including art appreciation and drama. After all, my brother was a drama major and he makes well into six figures annually doing something he loves. However, he treated himself like a business and mastered the principles of selling himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities