Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:04 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times

Advertisements

I started medical school at 31. It CAN be done. Nobody's saying it's easy, but it's certainly possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 PM

143 posts, read 378,008 times
I decided to divert my career at the age of 27 and went back to school. The 20's and 30's are prime career building time. If you need to do something for your career, do it now before you get bogged down by mortgage and kids! Or, for those with mortgage and kids, do it now before it is not longer financially feasible to do so!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:36 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times
In some areas, schools are turning away adult students. So if one wants a more advanced degree or career change, it means moving to another state, establishing residency, and so on.

Has anyone else seen this in their area?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:20 PM

143 posts, read 378,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
In some areas, schools are turning away adult students. So if one wants a more advanced degree or career change, it means moving to another state, establishing residency, and so on.

Has anyone else seen this in their area?
I'm not sure about turning away adult students, but for advanced degrees, relocation may be required because of availability of programs and schools. Law and med schools are two examples. I'm sure there are many others.

As far as I can tell, schools can't discriminate on age----and frankly, how can they discriminate between a 20 year old and a 30 year old? Both still have decades of work ahead of them, hardly seems liable to let in a 30 year old.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:18 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Back in the bad old '70s age discrimination WAS legal. Until a would-be medical student (named Allan Bakke) brought this issue to the Supreme Court. Things have changed. Regents of the Univ. of Cal. v. Bakke

Old 06-06-2009, 08:04 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Anyone else? I'm looking at applying to doctoral programs to begin fall 2010.

I crunched the numbers and it appears my only financial peace will come if I get married to split costs or get a doctorate to expand my billable opportunities.

I did not do exceptionally well in grad school or undergrad. Lots of W's, some F's, and not many professor relationships I'd consider reference-writing material. Grad GPA is 3.34 and undergrad is only 3.01. Clearly, I wasn't anticipating battling it out for a spot in a competitive doctoral program.

So, I guess I'm writing to see if anyone else is in the same boat. I've always toyed with the idea. Applied to one doctoral program years ago and got wait listed (consider that a huge accomplishment considering my poor academic history). I think I'd struggle with the statistics/research components but would welcome the opportunity for more in depth study in other areas. Honestly, it is probably motivated mostly by looking at my financials and realizing that if I never get married, I am going to be a poor broke fool with only my masters degree.

Any support appreciated.
I was 38 when I went back for my bachelor’s degree in social science and masters in education. I made honors pretty much all the way and completed my task in May of 2008. Age is a state of mind and I found it easy to earn 4.0 grades. When I have the chance I want to work on my doctorate in history.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
My favorite literature professor in undergrad became a published poet and competed her doctorate around fifty years of age...after her daughters were raised and were college age themselves.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,710 times
Go for it. I won't be tackling a doctorate for a little while. I just finished my 2nd MA and want to get more established in my area before taking that on. I will be 32 next month and I see a variety of people working on their education. Good luck!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:51 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,025 times
Thanks again guys. I actually posed the scenario to a few old professors. One from grad school and one from undergrad and they both talked to people and now, programs at each of those schools are an option for THIS fall. That seems awfully quick and neither is in quite the field I'm shooting for but it would be a good chance to improve upon the previous 3.4 grad gpa. I did the math and the combination of loan deferment and plus stipend/work would equal about $1500 more a month than I make working. That's huge... I could definitely be in great financial standing paying down some interest within a few year's time. Just a lot to process... and those GRE scores are scary to think about when I haven't had a math class in 8 years!!

Good luck to all of you too!! Thanks for the support.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I believe Bakke argued that he'd been discriminated against for being white,that affirmative action admits had lower grades,scores,etc. Don't think age was an issue.
RNs have to graduate from an accredited school (hospital, A.D., B.S., has to be accredited) and the grad isn't an RN until passing the state boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities